Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2024

Badel saying that Cobbo is on 650k this season with us. also saying that he could earn $1 million on the open market, but a deal in the vicinity of 800k a year will keep him with us.

Badel says the club are confident that we have the cap space to keep both Staggs and Cobbo.

Cobbo's manager, Tas Bartlett said:

“It would be a big move for Selwyn to go to Sydney, no doubt,” Cobbo’s agent Tas Bartlett said last month.

“I’ve had a few clubs ring me to talk about Selwyn, but I’ve been honest with them and said he’s not off-contract until 2025 and we’re not rushing anything.

“Some Queensland kids go down to Sydney and love it, others go down and hate it.

“If you suggested Selwyn going to Sydney two years ago when he first came off-contract, I wouldn’t have entertained it.

“But next year, he will be 23 and he will have been away from Cherbourg for five or six years.

“Selwyn has a partner and he is very settled in life away from football, so he has matured a lot.

“The Broncos have been very good to Selwyn. Until my client says I want to look around, then we’ll focus on the Broncos and look to get a deal done there as a priority.”

“This won’t be about money for Cobbo,” Bartlett said.

“He will earn the right money in Brisbane because of his brand and the third parties he has in the Indigenous community.

“I know if we go to the open market, Selwyn will attract $1 million offers, but if he decides he wants to stay at centre, we will look to get a new deal done earlier.”

Fair enough....and feel good vibes.

Thing that concerns me is.....
is Selwyn still dumb enough to let some **** put somethin in his mind.....?

Probably 60/40 for me.

60 = yes.

Sydney will chew him up and spit him out and I think he realises that. He struggled for a bit with Brisbane, Sydney is a whole different ball game and much much further from home. Brissie is only a couple of hours.

I'm 95% confident he'll stay, money isn't everything and it's not like $800k isn't good coin either. Renouf in his ear... I honestly can't see him going elsewhere.

Hodges already walked this path for cobbo to see. What’s a million dollars getting you in Sydney anyway

The homesick Blues........

blue velvet GIF

Hodges already walked this path for cobbo to see. What’s a million dollars getting you in Sydney anyway
These days, not even a nice house. Median price 2.5Mil on the northern beaches, reality is, a nice one is easily double that.

Badel saying that Cobbo is on 650k this season with us. also saying that he could earn $1 million on the open market, but a deal in the vicinity of 800k a year will keep him with us.

Badel says the club are confident that we have the cap space to keep both Staggs and Cobbo.

Cobbo's manager, Tas Bartlett said:

“It would be a big move for Selwyn to go to Sydney, no doubt,” Cobbo’s agent Tas Bartlett said last month.

“I’ve had a few clubs ring me to talk about Selwyn, but I’ve been honest with them and said he’s not off-contract until 2025 and we’re not rushing anything.

“Some Queensland kids go down to Sydney and love it, others go down and hate it.

“If you suggested Selwyn going to Sydney two years ago when he first came off-contract, I wouldn’t have entertained it.

“But next year, he will be 23 and he will have been away from Cherbourg for five or six years.

“Selwyn has a partner and he is very settled in life away from football, so he has matured a lot.

“The Broncos have been very good to Selwyn. Until my client says I want to look around, then we’ll focus on the Broncos and look to get a deal done there as a priority.”

“This won’t be about money for Cobbo,” Bartlett said.

“He will earn the right money in Brisbane because of his brand and the third parties he has in the Indigenous community.

“I know if we go to the open market, Selwyn will attract $1 million offers, but if he decides he wants to stay at centre, we will look to get a new deal done earlier.”
I reckon we should be able to offer both Cobbo and Staggs 700k a year and they'll take it.

Fair enough....and feel good vibes.

Thing that concerns me is.....
is Selwyn still dumb enough to let some **** put somethin in his mind.....?

Probably 60/40 for me.

60 = yes.

The Mrs will have a say in where they go .
I always consider the significant other and do they have kids ? Where would you want to raise your family ?

I think his manager is just planting the seeds that he is willing to leave if the Broncos dont come to the party with a good offer.

The Million is FB money .

800 is centre money . Is they way I interpret that .

The Million is FB money .

800 is centre money . Is they way I interpret that .
Possibly, but you are getting a player who is going to be versatile enough to be top level in 3 positions most likely. That's a handy player to have on your books

Possibly, but you are getting a player who is going to be versatile enough to be top level in 3 positions most likely. That's a handy player to have on your books

I am sure our brains trust realises that too. They will make it work.

I imagine the priority signings this year are:
1. Walsh
2. Cobbo
3. Willison
4. Staggs
5. Mozer

Everyone else is nice to keep but not going to break the bank to do so and that probably includes Hetherington, Jensen, Sailor, Smoothy and Baker.

These big backs need to get playing fb out of their heads.

Time and time again when big fellas switch to fb they don’t last or are forever injured. Too much distance traveled at near full pace for their bodies to handle.

Time and time again when big fellas switch to fb they don’t last or are forever injured. Too much distance traveled at near full pace for their bodies to handle.
They just want fullback money. It is so old and transparent the "they want to play fullback" peddled by managers. Holmes, Crichton, Farnworth, Turuva and I am sure there are more. It is just to be classified in a better paying position rather than the one they are best at.

I agree with you that there is a delusion with some about the position too.

I was thinkin that myself .
Also with the size that Selwyn has put on he would need to change his training and diet to reshape his physique . 2 - 3 years ago when he played FB for Wynnum he was a lot lighter .

I remember reading a story re Karmicheal Hunt transitioning to AFL he had to lose muscle and reshape his body to have the aerobic fitness for that game .

Unread

Active Now

• sooticus
  • MrMoore
  • BroncsNBundy
  • Financeguy
  • Fozz
  • broncsgoat
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.