OFFICIAL Broncos sign Ryan James

This is just another smart move from this current administration.

Kevvie started it by identifying the roster changes we needed to make.

then finally our state of limbo ended (BTW, thanks for that you Storm *****) when DD started and we could finally make some moves. landing two important marquee signings in Reynolds and Capewell.

Ikin then came on board himself and continued filling the supporting cast and moving some of the more "negative" influences (and big salaries) away from our squad.

I’m am looking forward to season 2022. Wish this one would end already and then get through a long summer of cricket as well.

With signings such as this one and the Jensen signing, makes me wonder if DD is implementing the infamous storm "moneyball" system.

Whereby they run their system over our team and remove anyone who's found to be not needed. Then identify the gaps and run their formula over every available player in the comp and both James and Jensen came out on top?

I feel like previous Brisbane (prior to DD) would have seen Marty Tapau is been offered around and spent every last cent to get him leaving us with a tight, top heavy cap again.
I agree that we a very much implementing the "moneyball" system.

Looking at it this way, we got rid of lodge. Even if we are paying half of his rumoured contract we freed enough space to sign both Jensen and james

Doing this has enabled us to get rid of a reportedly negative influence on our squad, provided us with greater injury/suspension coverage (as lodge has missed several games this year) and more space in our 2023 cap to make a marquee signing.

Although lodge is looked upon as a better player, a very brief breakdown is that their averages in 2021 when taking into account the lesser time James and Jensen spent on the field is similar to/just under lodge's output (but with greater tackle efficiency).

His capacity to play longer minutes is not necessarily vital to us as we have many others who can meet that demand.

I think it's a positive signing, but two things irk me:

* He starred in a Q-Cup grand final where he literally took a player out by shoulder charging directly to the head. I can't remember what the repercussions were at the time but I'm pretty sure shoulder charges were still legal, if there was any punishment it was only because of high contact.
* He then went on to play for the Titans, where Tallis went on to criticise Blair for being a grub while completely overlooking what his own player had done, which was way more serious.

The latter I can't hold against James but it still leaves me feeling a little uneasy with him playing for us. It was a long time ago, and he was a good leader for the Titans.

I just worried that it's not his injuries that hamper us, it's that he'll become the logical penalty-magnet the refs assign to one lucky Bronco each year.

I think it's a positive signing, but two things irk me:

* He starred in a Q-Cup grand final where he literally took a player out by shoulder charging directly to the head. I can't remember what the repercussions were at the time but I'm pretty sure shoulder charges were still legal, if there was any punishment it was only because of high contact.
* He then went on to play for the Titans, where Tallis went on to criticise Blair for being a grub while completely overlooking what his own player had done, which was way more serious.

The latter I can't hold against James but it still leaves me feeling a little uneasy with him playing for us. It was a long time ago, and he was a good leader for the Titans.

I just worried that it's not his injuries that hamper us, it's that he'll become the logical penalty-magnet the refs assign to one lucky Bronco each year.
If the unlucky player isn't being paid a premium then it's more acceptable.
We will always need a scapehorse.

With signings such as this one and the Jensen signing, makes me wonder if DD is implementing the infamous storm "moneyball" system.

Whereby they run their system over our team and remove anyone who's found to be not needed. Then identify the gaps and run their formula over every available player in the comp and both James and Jensen came out on top?

I feel like previous Brisbane (prior to DD) would have seen Marty Tapau is been offered around and spent every last cent to get him leaving us with a tight, top heavy cap again.
What is this "moneyball" system people keep mentioning?

My feeling is that with the signings that aren’t considered marquee we have gotten Brenko, Pereira, Jensen, James and Walters. That’s some pretty good depth for little money. Productive and serviceable players that can fill in at anytime

Big thumbs down. Canberra signed him for the exact same reason we are, and during his time there he was dropped and loaned to the Bulldogs.

So who does he get picked ahead of at full strength? He's just here as experienced depth IMO, similar to Todd Lowrie in the past.

So who does he get picked ahead of at full strength? He's just here as experienced depth IMO, similar to Todd Lowrie in the past.

for starters Bullemore is gone

and he'll get picked ahead of Kennedy

It all depends on who is used where, Kevvie will most likely select a team that nobody expects/agrees with.

8. Carrigan
9. Turpin
10. Haas
11. Riki
12. Capewell
13. Hetherington

14. Paix
15. Flegler
16. Robati
17. James/Jensen/Piakura/Willison/Kennedy/Palasia/

It's basically buying players in a pragmatic way where you focus on players who are somewhat comparable to the output of star players for a fraction of the cost.

In NRL a $200k prop might be delivering the same output as a star player for a fraction of the cost... but the lesser player usually has a risk component (age, injuries, poor at a different aspect of play, etc.) which is why they're cheaper.

Storm dont typically spend much money on their support players (forwards and outside backs), and instead get guys who are good at performing very specific roles in their system.

It's all about spending the big money on the guys who will win you games and then surround them with role players at a lower cost.

A poor man's Munster isn't really going to help you get wins, but a poor man's Lolo could still churn out 130m a game and give you 60 quality minutes a game.

I honestly @Kimlo was being facetious

Active Now

• Brocko
  • Xzei
  • FACTHUNT
  • Nerd
  • Dash
  • Mister Wright
  • Fitzy
  • Sproj
  • cento
  • Big Del
  • Foordy
  • Fozz
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.