Bung Knee

ningnangnong

ningnangnong

HACK THE PLANET!!!
Forum Staff
Mar 5, 2008
Wassup chums.

So i think it was the Friday before last, i was down the local field having a kick of the "soccer" ball when a seemingly innocuous kick of the ball left me in agony, so much so that i thought my leg was going to fall off! Not really, but i knew something wasn't right in my knee although it didn't seem to affect me much so i soldiered :mrgreen: on.

Anyway the next day i played cricket and well everytime i went to run my knee would always just buckle a little bit so i was limping around like a peg leg for most of the game whenever i had to chase something in the field. I wasn't able to bowl either because of the strain that would put on my knee.

Yep so i rested it for the last week hoping it would get better and TBH i think it did get a little better. Played cricket again last Saturday and strapped my knee this time which really didn't do anything, but managed to field in the slips so i didn't have to do much running. Didn't bowl again.

I'm going to rest it for the rest of the week and hope it will miraculously disappear but i can't see that happening. So i'll probably book myself an appointment with a physio next week.

Just garnering opinions as to what i might of done to my poor old knee?

And can we keep this thread on topic, not like my football boots thread, i seriously want actual proper opinions.

My actual opinion?

Go to the doctor. LOLZ! This thread is akin to "Help my sister has been bitten by a spider"

Hammo said:
My actual opinion?

Go to the doctor. LOLZ! This thread is akin to "Help my sister has been bitten by a spider"

No shit, of course i'm going to the doctor.

I asked if anyone knew what might be the problem, just a general idea.

From the symptoms (the slight buckling sensation etc), I'd say either a cartilage strain (caused by knee twisting on uneven weight distribution). Or...yes, cruciate.

The fact it starts to feel like buckling when you run is a bit of a worry, but is consistent with cartilage (meniscus) and ACL injury.

Good news is, a doctor with any remote knowledge of injuries should be able to diagnose an ACL pretty easily. Keep it iced in the evenings to try and stop any swelling developing. Swelling makes diagnosing more difficult.

If it's the ACL they'll probably send you for an MRI to confirm how bad the tear is. If it's grade 1, then just rest and some physio will do the trick. If it's grade 2 or worse then your options are get a knee reconstruction and be sure you can get back to some kind of sport; or use conservative treatment - months of physio and rehab to get your leg muscles strong to support the joint and then just hope you don't throw it out again. If you do the latter they'll tell you to give away soccer and probably cricket....

If it's cartilage, then it'll settle down in time, but you'll likely flair it occasionally if you do the same kind of action again. However, it can be treated with a bit of a scrape out with an arthroscopy if it gets too debilitating.

But yes, go see your doctor ASAP and put your mind at ease.

Muchos gracias for the reply amigo.

That's some pretty interesting, yet worrying stuff! I have no real idea about injuries, but if i've done my ACL i reckon it would be much more painful.

But yeh, i'm planning on heading to the doctors on Wednesday morning now. Don't want to take any risks.

Hopefully it's nothing serious and my knee will be back to 100% in a few weeks. icon_smile

I had something similar to those symptoms back when I played the round ball game. It was a cartilage strain caused by an uneven weight distribution. My spine was twisted and it was playing havoc with the muscles down my back and hips or something, but apparently that was enough to cause a weight distribution issue. Isn't it strange how everything is connected!

But yeah, as Coxy said. I just got told to see a chiropractor for my back and take it easy for a few weeks because there wasn't a great deal that I could do. I did get this Chinese medicated oil stuff to rub into my knee and it worked brilliantly.

Basically what Coxy said and you'd be surprised at how relatively painless a joint or cartilage tear or strain can actually be, so don't use that as a guide.

My brother tore the AC in his shoulder and yeah it was a little sore and he went to doctor, physio etc and they couldn't find a tear and he was able to keep playing footy and cricket (fast bowler no less) with it not being really painful. It was only cause it didn't feel right and my dad was so insistent that he eventually got in to see one of the state's top shoulder surgeons who at first couldn't find the tear either because the outer casing around the joint hadn't torn. He needed a full re-con and was not able to move his should at all (not even to lift it to wash under his pits - ewww) for 6 months, then it was another several months of re-hab. But basically if he was going by the limited pain - would never have pushed it and found the tear.

Anyway - hope it's nothing too serious Ning

What Flutterby said. Generally knee injuries don't swell up too bad unless it's a dislocation or more than one ligament/structure gets badly damaged.

A grade 1 or 2 ACL might produce no swelling and very little pain, but just noticeable instability.

Hell, there's been AFL and NRL players who have ruptured their ACL and got through a game. Phil Lee is one memorable one.

Not intending to frighten you, get it checked, most likely nothing serious. But even something not serious can become serious if you don't treat it right.

Also, if at all possible, have a look for a sports physician in Newcastle. They'll be MUCH more accurate in initial diagnosis and in prescribing further investigations.

Ning, from my experience i'd recommend seeing Nanette Latta at Health and Fitness Plus at Kotara. Just recently got over a nagging knee problem that's slowed my training for at least a year now, but she did a great job in getting the problem sorted as well as uncovering some other problems that were greatly contributing that I had no idea about.

Another option you could look at (moreso down the track) if the problem sticks around or gets worse is prolotherapy. Can't say it works for everyone, but it certainly worked wonders for me.

JW: is Nanette Latta a physio or a sports physician? Either is a good start, but sports physicians tend to be slightly better. Physios are good once the problem is identified, but sometimes they aren't that good at diagnosing.

To be honest Coxy i'm not really sure which category she falls under, all I know is that she's worked with various elite sports teams in the past. Nanette and the others there were very thorough and extensive in finding the problem - which in my case turned out to be problemS - and setting me up with a recovery plan. Worked really well. I see your point through, makes sense.

Sounds like she'd be fine. Don't get me wrong, there's physios who are perfectly fine as a first port of call, and they're generally cheaper than sports doctors, and easier to get in to.

It's just harder to find a good, sports focussed physio who's not really just used to treating old ladies with bad backs.

I know an awesome physio - would you be willing to travel to the UK for treatment? :-)

Thanks for all the feedback lads and lasses! Also thanks for the reccomendation JW.

For now i reckon i'll just hit up my doctors tommorow morning and see where that takes me.

About five years ago i did my ankle playing league and he ended up referring me to some chap who worked for the Knights and Waratahs which i reckon isn't too shabby at all. :mrgreen:

So yeh i'll see him tommorow and play it from there.

Useless fact for you, my doctor is married to Marcia Hines!!!!!! OMG!!!! [icon_ee

ningnangnong said:
Useless fact for you, my doctor is married to Marcia Hines!!!!!! OMG!!!! [icon_ee

Serious? Can you get me an autograph? I am serious - I love Marcia

ningnangnong said:
Thanks for all the feedback lads and lasses! Also thanks for the reccomendation JW.

For now i reckon i'll just hit up my doctors tommorow morning and see where that takes me.

About five years ago i did my ankle playing league and he ended up referring me to some chap who worked for the Knights and Waratahs which i reckon isn't too shabby at all. :mrgreen:

So yeh i'll see him tommorow and play it from there.

Hmmm, well she's diabetic...so I'd be worried (if he was a dietician).

Anyway...

Good plan. If you have a trusted doctor, go to him as your first port of call all the time.

Coxy said:
Hmmm, well she's diabetic...so I'd be worried (if he was a dietician).

'I'd think there are greater problems if Ning's going to a dietician for a bung knee

Unread

Active Now

• Broncosarethebest
  • Bucking Beads
  • Dash
  • Sproj
  • Fitzy
  • Mr Fourex
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Xzei
  • Wolfie
  • Galco
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.