Bye scheduling

QUEENSLANDER

QUEENSLANDER

NRL Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Does anyone know how the NRL byes are planned?

To me, it is heavily favouring some teams. How is that the poor old tigers, eels and souths all miss their origin players for 3 rounds (3 games they play while origin players are in camp) because they placed their byes not on origin rounds, yet the other teams have their byes on the origin rounds, so can only have 1 game without their origin stars.

If i was a fan of one of those teams i would be pissed! Broncos for example, have byes in round 14 and 17 so only play 1 game without the origin players.
Wests however, have byes round 12 and 18, so they have to play round 11, 14 and 17 without their origin players.

That is ridiculously unfair

To me, it is heavily favouring some teams. How is that the poor old tigers, eels and souths all miss their origin players for 3 rounds (3 games they play while origin players are in camp) because they placed their byes not on origin rounds, yet the other teams have their byes on the origin rounds, so can only have 1 game without their origin stars.

If i was a fan of one of those teams i would be pissed! Broncos for example, have byes in round 14 and 17 so only play 1 game without the origin players.
Wests however, have byes round 12 and 18, so they have to play round 11, 14 and 17 without their origin players.

And how many players do those teams supply compared to the broncos and other teams?

There is no way on earth this is ridiculously unfair

And how many players do those teams supply compared to the broncos and other teams?

There is no way on earth this is ridiculously unfair

Typical response from a supporter of one of the teams advantaged by it lol.

Why cant the tigers, souths and eels also get their byes on origin round? Why cant every team have 1 on a origin round and 1 not, or all on origin rounds? It makes no sense!

The byes are determined at the start of the year. The NRL is purely guessing which teams will contribute the most players to origin. Had things been a bit different souths could have been missing Inglis, Reynolds, McQueen, Walker and Johnston. They would then miss those players for 3 games. 2 more than the broncos would miss their origin players.

What if that had happened. Souths get 5 rep players. They get screwed over this year. So the NRL decides next year they get their byes on the origin rounds. But next year inglis is the only rep. It makes no sense! they are basing shit on last year. just make it even from the start and there is no problem

If you think that is fair then you are crazy. The NRL is run by a bunch of idiots. The bye planning could be done so every team is equally as disadvantaged, but instead they try be tricky and "help" those teams they "think" will have the most origin players.

Last edited:
To be honest, I'd rather have our final bye straight after Origin 3, not just before. Yeah, missing players is tough, but it would be a good break right before the important final run.

To be fair every team get's advantages throughout the year. The Broncos get Origin byes, the Roosters don't have a cap and the Rabbits get every 50/50 call. Nothing about the NRL is entirely fair.

Typical thread from a hater of one of the teams advantaged by it lol.

Lol, i DEFINITELY dont support eels, souths or tigers, and the broncos can win without their origin players. This has nothing to do with who u do or dont support. Please do not reply if you arent going to contribute to this thread.

I didnt create this thread with any bias in mind at all. I have been thinking this for weeks since i started my bye planning for fantasy footy and thought "why the hell does farah miss 5 games while jt misses 3".

Take out any team biases from this conversation and the bye scheduling is ridiculous.

There should be no byes. Just weeks off during Origin. The way they do the byes and scheduling for heavy origin teams is dumb. The Broncos should not have had a short turn around in this period for example. And that goes for many teams.

The NRL refuses to make Origin a stand-alone weekend so we're left with this. Now, the one thing all these teams have in common is that they don't traditionally have a large Origin contigent. If anything, it benefits them because they only have to supply one or two players, while keeping the bulk of their roster.

Not to mention look at the games they're involved in...

Rabbitohs vs Eels
Tigers vs Cowboys
Tigers vs Rabbitohs
Eels vs Storm
Panthers vs Rabbitohs
Tigers vs Eels

Half of them are against each other with only one really being to the disadvantage of the team. Now going into this season I thought for sure the Rabbitohs would have a higher contingent in Inglis, Walker & Reynolds with the possibility of Johnston, Keary and MAYBE Stewart but they've been lucky to that extent. The rest were always only going to give up a player or two and if anything were the pool sharks of those rounds ala Warriors or even the Dragons in years gone by.

The solution is simple, schedule the Origin weekends as stand-alone representative weekends but the game is content on making these silly sacrifices that ultimately just hurt the credibility of the competition.

Last edited:
If they put Origin on a stand alone weekend they'd lose money because there's only one game as opposed to 8 or 9. Would they consider it more if they could also have Tonga VS Samoa, Fiji VS PNG, maybe NZ VS England, make the NYC Origin best of 3 and have the womens Origin or AUS VS NZ games as well? I for one would like to watch Tonga play Samoa three times in 6 weeks.

I thought the clubs were given a say in when they wanted byes? This might have changed though.

Also, I don't get the argument that there's only one game as opposed to eight or "I don't want a weekend without footy".
They play exactly the same number of games over the season, it would just be a few weeks longer. Isn't that a better thing for fans?

If they put Origin on a stand alone weekend they'd lose money because there's only one game as opposed to 8 or 9. Would they consider it more if they could also have Tonga VS Samoa, Fiji VS PNG, maybe NZ VS England, make the NYC Origin best of 3 and have the womens Origin or AUS VS NZ games as well? I for one would like to watch Tonga play Samoa three times in 6 weeks.

This is a cop-out excuse. They would get that money made up in the last weeks of the season due to the fact that there would be extra weeks for the suspended games.

This is a cop-out excuse. They would get that money made up in the last weeks of the season due to the fact that there would be extra weeks for the suspended games.

Yeah true. Do you think the players would be ok with a longer season even if most of them get byes in the middle? Players like Smith and Inglis who have been the most vocal, would be playing more games, wouldn't they?

If i was a fan of one of those teams i would be ****ed! Broncos for example, have byes in round 14 and 17 so only play 1 game without the origin players.

I agree that the rules around bye scheduling are applied unequally.

However, and disclosing my obvious bias as a Broncos fan posting on a Broncos fan site, I don't believe there is any prejudice to those teams historically under-represented.

In fact, it's an overt advantage to the low represented teams playing on the bye weekends against heavily represented teams.

It's a huge advantage for the Tigers to play the Broncos on a pre-Origin week. They should want to play as much as possible and take their byes on the full squad weeks.

I can't see how you can argue that a team with 25% of its top 25 roster (6/25), and if you applied a weighting, actually is 6 best players unavailable for selection for 3 rounds shouldn't receive the better bye scheduling.

Yeah true. Do you think the players would be ok with a longer season even if most of them get byes in the middle? Players like Smith and Inglis who have been the most vocal, would be playing more games, wouldn't they?

It would come back to "You're a professional athlete, deal with it".

As long as there are teams with 4-6 players missing playing teams with 0-1 missing, any discussion on 'fairness during Origin' is pointless

There clearly isn't meant to be any, and ay suggestion that a team like Brisbane are advantaged in it just cannot be comprehended

It would come back to "You're a professional athlete, deal with it".

Which should probably be the same response given when someone whinges about the fairness of when teams have byes.

Which should probably be the same response given when someone whinges about the fairness of when teams have byes.

Well that's completely different IMO. RIght now, they're doing exactly that, remaining professional, and playing the best team they can.

But when you have a team at full strength, vs. a team missing 8 regular players, that's just simply unfair.

Active Now

• bert_lifts
  • Thelmus
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.