• Thread starter Major JW Hochstetter
  • Start date
M

Major JW Hochstetter

NRL Player
Mar 4, 2008
CA Confirms Split-Innings One-Dayers

http://www.cricinfo.com/australia/conte ... 62719.html

One-day cricket in its familiar form could soon become a thing of the past after the Cricket Australia board gave the green light to a trial of split-innings state games next summer. If the new format is successful, Cricket Australia will take the idea to the ICC as a plan to keep ODIs alive, meaning the 2015 World Cup could feature a split-innings format.

Split-Innings Gains Mixed Reviews

http://www.cricinfo.com/england/content ... 62742.html

Awesome! I think this will make a big improvement to the boring as bat shit 50-over game.

As long as they don't touch Test Cricket icon_thumbs_u

It is rubbish IMO, less 50 over matches is needed not splitting it into 4 quarters FFS.

Why does everything have to be like 20/20?

I won't be going to any state games this year. That's friggin' stupid.

If the whole idea is to somehow eliminate the 'boring' consolidation period in the middle of the innings, I'm not too sure that splitting the innings will make too much of a difference.

The fact that the innings is split will, IMO, probably encourage batsmen to lay off after the first 5-10 overs and keep wickets in hand for the second dig. Players will also need to get set again after the break (especially if wickets have fallen prior) and, although that's not necessarily a big deal these days, some promising, building innings from a player that's just getting a roll on will be suspended for a couple of hours just for the sake of switching the teams around - and thus, some of those great one-day knocks (especially in big chases) may not eventuate.

I think it's a pointless move.

If they wanted to make a real change, they'd go for the Test/T20 hybrid and play two separate innings, but I'm certainly not a fan of that idea either.

Here's two extremely simple ideas that trump any of the crap that Cricket admins are coming up with at the moment:

1. Unless the demand is glaringly obvious, stop these useless 7-match bilateral series.
2. Bring in small rules changes and other aspects that focus on bringing a contest into ODI's, particularly to differentiate it from T20. Eg. Preparing Cricket pitches instead of laying down highways would be a nice start.

Active Now

• Lostboy
  • Allo
  • Porthoz
  • Thelmus
  • Mighty Bronx
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Foordy
  • Swordfish
  • Sproj
  • TwoLeftFeet
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.