Cam Smith legacy drives Mozer quest to be Broncos lifer

BHQArticleImageLarge101

Blake Mozer was once hailed in the press by one of his schoolboy coaches he was tall for a hooker like the great Cameron Smith and just as skilful and smart as the Melbourne maestro - a comparison that raised eyebrows.

But in his first pre-game press conference ahead of the away clash with Gold Coast, the 20-year-old Mozer showed his maturity in handling questions about Smith that inevitably came his way.

Mozer said in one of his own interviews as a teenager he idolised Smith.

That all morphed into over-the-top headlines along the lines of Mozer being "the next Smith", something he never claimed to be. It is why he chuckled when asked about his admiration for Smith.

"It is hard getting compared to the greatest player of all time in my opinion," Mozer said.

"I made a comment when I was 15 and it stuck with me since. I just go with the flow. I am my own player.

"He is Cameron Smith. I am Blake Mozer. I just play my own footy and whatever it represents, it does. I just go out there every week and try my best."

Mozer, 183cm tall, is just shy of Smith (185cm) in stature. Both are tall for hookers and it is a factor that has always given Mozer belief he can make it in the NRL.

"You don't have to be a short hooker. And that's what probably helped me with Cameron Smith," he said.

"He was a bit taller, around that six-foot height. Besides all the back pain bending over, it is fine.

"(Smith) is a good role model. I will keep looking up to him and looking at his clips. I have met him once when I was only young.Hopefully I get to properly meet him one day."

Mozer, signed until the end of next year at Brisbane, will play just his fifth NRL game, against the Titans on Saturday. He has had to bide his time in the Queensland Cup, but said coach Kevin Walters and his assistants kept him in the loop.

"I won't lie to you, I wished I was out there more earlier in the season but it wasn't like it was unfair," he said.

"They were speaking to me. They weren't keeping me in the dark. I knew (an opportunity) was coming and I was just being patient. Patience is a virtue."

Mozer signed with the Broncos when he was 13 and doesn't want to ever leave. He is prepared to wait to get a crack at starting No.9.

"Whatever it takes. As long as I am playing, I am happy," he said.

"I love this place. I love the players and all the coaching staff. It has been the best seven years and hopefully it can go for longer.

"Eventually we are going to push for (hooking) spots. When that time comes, it will come."

Canberra Times

Active Now

• Ghost of Vlansys
  • Sproj
  • Harry Sack
  • Galah
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • Cavalo
  • FACTHUNT
  • Aldo
  • ostin86
  • Bronco bob
  • Bucking Beads
  • Skyblues87
  • thenry
  • marw
  • broncos4life
  • theshed
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.