Captain's Challenge

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
The NRL have just announced the introduction of the captain's challenge.

It's pretty straight forward, teams are allowed only one unsuccessful challenge a game and only for a structured restart of play (penalties, knock-ons, drop outs).

Theoretically it should remove some of the clangers from the game, but I can see teams challenging 50/50 calls and taking their chances with the video referee. I'm waiting for a game where a team rolls the dice and gets three 50/50 calls there way from the bunker.

the question is, how do you remover the clangers from the bunker?

The NRL have just announced the introduction of the captain's challenge.

It's pretty straight forward, teams are allowed only one unsuccessful challenge a game and only for a structured restart of play (penalties, knock-ons, drop outs).

Theoretically it should remove some of the clangers from the game, but I can see teams challenging 50/50 calls and taking their chances with the video referee. I'm waiting for a game where a team rolls the dice and gets three 50/50 calls there way from the bunker.
If a challenge can't be adjudicated due to insufficient video evidence does it still count?

Bit of a rumour going around that the Broncos are bringing in Shane Watson as a captain's challenge consultant.

If a challenge can't be adjudicated due to insufficient video evidence does it still count?
What about if a "try" is scored but the ref refuses to check it on video ref?

What about if a "try" is scored but the ref refuses to check it on video ref?

You can definitely challenge that.

It will be interesting to see if they can challenge 'professional fouls' like the Matt Gillett call from six years ago.

However, a call like the Roger Tuivasa-Sheck forward pass against Parramatta would have to stand since the video officials can't rule on forward passes. Similarly, if a player knocks a ball forward but the referee calls play on, that would stand as well so it wouldn't have changed Origin I 2000 for instance with the double knock on fiasco.

the question is, how do you remover the clangers from the bunker?
This to me is the biggest issue with a captain's challenge system in the NRL.

The bunker screws up what appear to be obvious try / no try decisions... what if you're adamant they got the call wrong, but there's no video evidence to overturn or worse they just flat out get it wrong, which they definitely will.
[automerge]1583133602[/automerge]
You can definitely challenge that.

It will be interesting to see if they can challenge 'professional fouls' like the Matt Gillett call from six years ago.

However, a call like the Roger Tuivasa-Sheck forward pass against Parramatta would have to stand since the video officials can't rule on forward passes. Similarly, if a player knocks a ball forward but the referee calls play on, that would stand as well so it wouldn't have changed Origin I 2000 for instance with the double knock on fiasco.
To me one of the big ones will be 1-1 strips.... however if there is no stoppage in play does that mean the captain's challenge can't be called... or is there some leeway that will allow the captain to go back when play stops (unlikely as that would allow coaches to review video footage and tell players on the field)?

Last edited:
BroncosFan said:
To me one of the big ones will be 1-1 strips.... however if there is no stoppage in play does that mean the captain's challenge can't be called... or is there some leeway that will allow the captain to go back when play stops (unlikely as that would allow coaches to review video footage and tell players on the field)?

If play is able to continue then teams won't have an opportunity to challenge the call unless it leads to a try. A lot of the calls that get missed on field won't be able to be challenged, especially if players take the tackle before the line which is a common concern in the media.

Ideally, you would maybe see 30 challenges a season and it's for instances where it's so tight you really need a video replay to determine who deserves the feed. I think we're going to see at least 200 challenges this year and it's going to be a lottery.

Can this be used in golden point? If a field goal is attempted and missed, ball goes dead but the chasers are 5m offside?

Can this be used in golden point? If a field goal is attempted and missed, ball goes dead but the chasers are 5m offside?

Can't challenge for offside penalties.

Can challenge for obstructions in that situation.

Last edited:
I know I've had a bit of fun with the 0/3 record so far but I think further along in the season when the players have a better of idea of when to use it, it will be useful

We are owed one, we never had a chance to use ours

The coach said in the presser they asked for one late in the game but the refs didn’t hear them.

There was one yesterday... Latrell lost the ball on a kick return and it seemed like the refs were about to let play go on, but ended up calling it correctly... but had they not they wouldn't have been able to challenge as no break in the play.

It made me think that in that situation the players could give away a blatant penalty in order to stop the play and allow a challenge... as it would all be in the one play.

I wonder if players will be smart enough to give away those penalties when they know a challenge will definitely be successful but there's no stop in play

There was one yesterday... Latrell lost the ball on a kick return and it seemed like the refs were about to let play go on, but ended up calling it correctly... but had they not they wouldn't have been able to challenge as no break in the play.

It made me think that in that situation the players could give away a blatant penalty in order to stop the play and allow a challenge... as it would all be in the one play.

I wonder if players will be smart enough to give away those penalties when they know a challenge will definitely be successful but there's no stop in play
professional foul 10 in the bin if they are wrong.

Active Now

• ivanhungryjak
  • Midean
  • NSW stables
  • scobie
  • Fitzy
  • BroncosAlways
  • Jazza
  • lynx000
  • broncsgoat
  • Dash
  • Spooky1013
  • Old Mate
  • Skyblues87
  • winslow_wong
  • LittleDavey
  • Broncosgirl
  • Broncos Maestro
  • MrMoore
  • Big Del
... and 9 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.