Captain's Challenge

Are you a fan of the captain's challenge?

• Total voters
Should be one fan's challenge per game. All members of each team get a login for a fan's challenge app, and if 50% of logged in members appeal a call within 5 seconds, it triggers a fan's challenge.

The fans want this.

The fans do want this.

Should be one fan's challenge per game. All members of each team get a login for a fan's challenge app, and if 50% of logged in members appeal a call within 5 seconds, it triggers a fan's challenge.

The fans want this.

Sounds innovative (in a tongue in cheek kind of way) but the potential for exploitation, especially when related to gambling is just way too high. What if the decision the fans decide to appeal is one that decides the result? You would have so many bot accounts voting for a challenge in a heartbeat to get a particular result.

Any calls deemed incorrect after the game should be awarded an amount of tokens to the dudded team. Tokens can be used next week or saved up and used throughout the season to have legitimate calls against your team overturned.

Any calls deemed incorrect after the game should be awarded an amount of tokens to the dudded team. Tokens can be used next week or saved up and used throughout the season to have legitimate calls against your team overturned.

Lmao Laughing GIF by Steve Harvey TV

Good lord. The officiating must be REALLY bad if this is the sort of (joke) solutions we're coming up with.

Having said that when Ashley Klein and Ben Cummins are two of your most senior referees, I guess you get what you have coming to you. And people lambasted the Harrigan and Archer years.

Lmao Laughing GIF by Steve Harvey TV

Good lord. The officiating must be REALLY bad if this is the sort of (joke) solutions we're coming up with.

Having said that when Ashley Klein and Ben Cummins are two of your most senior referees, I guess you get what you have coming to you. And people lambasted the Harrigan and Archer years.

Became a record holder on the weekend. What a legend.

They did this with the Tigers did they not. They were allowed to cash their tokens in straight after that Cows stuff up. Just so happens it was us that played them next.

I'm kinda with the NFL side of things. Captains challenge is meant to challenge an incorrect ruling, but if the bunker can see an infringement why do we let play continue? An infringement is an infringement and should be adjudicated as such.

Besides, the NRL can make more money by adding more breaks into the game. It's not 4 quarters like they wanted but they can sell some more space for $$$ so the likes of Haas can request 1.5m.

The last time the NRL allowed the video ref to rule on forward passes, it was a disaster. It didn't go well and it was scrapped.

Technology has come a fair way since then, but I don't think the bunker should be allowed to rule on forward passes until the forward pass technology is ready and they have all of the data they need to warrant implementing it. From my understanding, it's still in the trial stages and they don't have enough data yet so I don't think it's going to be brought in for a couple of years at the very least.

As it stands right now, without the technology, the bunker ruling on forward passes is just going to cause too many problems. Not everyone thinks the same way, it would be a very divisive issue.

It creates too many stoppages along with all the other reasons a pause in play can occur. It's taking away from the fabric of the game. Rugby League is supposed to be a free flowing game where the big forwards get tired and the little backs eventually run amok. The sport is nothing like this atm.

The last time the NRL allowed the video ref to rule on forward passes, it was a disaster. It didn't go well and it was scrapped.

Technology has come a fair way since then, but I don't think the bunker should be allowed to rule on forward passes until the forward pass technology is ready and they have all of the data they need to warrant implementing it. From my understanding, it's still in the trial stages and they don't have enough data yet so I don't think it's going to be brought in for a couple of years at the very least.

As it stands right now, without the technology, the bunker ruling on forward passes is just going to cause too many problems. Not everyone thinks the same way, it would be a very divisive issue.

Something tells me they aren't in much of a hurry to develop it. Grey issues are what are allowing the NRL to be the NSWRL.

I don't have an issue with the captains challenge being in the game, however, there needs to be some changes.

first and foremost every single thing that can be challenged NEEDS TO BE IN BLACK AND WHITE. otherwise you get a situation like happened with the Tigers and Annesley then protecting the refs with a statement about this situation not being in writing, but they BELIEVE the ref was right allowing the challenge to happen.

Don't use terms like "structured restart" specify those restarts (knock on, penalty, drop out, end of half "short whistle" etc)

list every incident that is able to be challenged, IN WRITING.

determine if once a captain has asked for a challenge the bunker can look at the ENTIRE play looking for ANYTHING or if the bunker is only permitted to look at the REASON SPECIFIED by the captain for the challenge ... and put it in WRITING

The NRL won't do any of these things because they'd prefer AMBIGUITY to allow the refs to MANIPULATE the game and the NRL to PROTECT the refs when they give the NRL exactly what they want

I honestly don't think the captain's challenge is a thing that can be effective in Rugby League.

You look at other sports that have implemented this type of thing, none of those sports are momentum based where if one team gets on a roll and has the other team puffing that having a 2-3 minute delay for a decision review completely negates the flow of the game, in Rugby League it most certainly does.

It's just mind boggling to me, they did all these things to speed up the game then they implement an open season challenge system which teams have started to use tactically to arrest momentum in a game.

I think what they've done in Football (Soccer), is perfect. The video referees are actively reviewing decisions whilst play continues, big decisions I mean, penalties and such. Sports like Cricket and Tennis have had no issues implementing review systems because there's a stoppage after every play, it doesn't take anything away from the sport.

Something tells me they aren't in much of a hurry to develop it. Grey issues are what are allowing the NRL to be the NSWRL.

Yeah I don't think they're in too much of a rush to bring it in.

I imagine Storm, Eels and Roosters wouldn't be too happy with the technology coming in. No more forward passes from dummy half.

Needs refining.

They're original stance was that foul play could not be challenged; however if there's the slightest hint of a high shot, like it was in rorters vs us, it gets pulled up.

If they're proposing to challenge then they should have to nominate what they're challenging and that should be all the bunker checks.. they shouldn't be able to say challenge and then the bunker goes over everything.

Even on the weekend storm challenged the drop by Munster, but what they wanted was a penalty for tackled in the air... the bunker ruled that was fine, but gave them a successful challenge because the vid ref decided it was knocked back instead of a knock on (dubious at best). The bunker should've only checked whether it was a tackle in the air instead of giving the storm an eachway bet.

If they went that way it would speed up the game as they're not going through everything with a fine tooth comb.

It would also restrict frivolous challenges, because the captain would have to be specific on what they're challenging, instead of "we're challenging everything"

I agree, make them specify what the challenge is for and only that can be assessed even if other things have gone on.

I honestly don't think the captain's challenge is a thing that can be effective in Rugby League.

You look at other sports that have implemented this type of thing, none of those sports are momentum based where if one team gets on a roll and has the other team puffing that having a 2-3 minute delay for a decision review completely negates the flow of the game, in Rugby League it most certainly does.

It's just mind boggling to me, they did all these things to speed up the game then they implement an open season challenge system which teams have started to use tactically to arrest momentum in a game.

I think what they've done in Football (Soccer), is perfect. The video referees are actively reviewing decisions whilst play continues, big decisions I mean, penalties and such. Sports like Cricket and Tennis have had no issues implementing review systems because there's a stoppage after every play, it doesn't take anything away from the sport.
I agree fully with the concept being based around momentum. It is what makes this sport so amazing, but it is also its Achilles' Heel.

In a perfect world the Ref's decisions should balance out if it is free flowing and mostly innocuous minor infringements. Obviously, the better refs would ping momentum-altering plays, both ways, e.g., slowing the ruck, and moving forward off the mark, etc.

The MAJOR issue facing this momentum-based sport is the 6-again system. It grants far too much momentum and can easily be manipulated. Furthermore, it is compounding, i.e., once you have some, you're likely to continue to get more, particularly early in the game.

Secondary to this are any large momentum-changing calls such as the 20m, 7-tackle restarts from a poor kick into the in-goal area. Such a minor error doesn't deserve such a large momentum swing against. Fair enough if you kick from 40+m out and the ball goes dead in goal, you're not building pressure, but if you're close to scoring, put in a short kick, or knock-on in goal, why such a huge momentum swing? That is completely stupid in the context of the game.

However, the NRL is not a smart sporting body.

Active Now

• bb_gun
  • Jedhead
  • Aldo
  • Foordy
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Xzei
  • Culhwch
  • davidp
  • Battler
  • MrRobot
  • Midean
  • FACTHUNT
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Galah
  • TimWhatley
  • Scorchie
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.