Channel 9 telecast rant

lockyer

lockyer

BRL Player
Jul 31, 2013
hey everyone, im always having this discussion and think ch 9 is responsible for lousy crowds, most noteably in nsw. im a little bias and already annoyed watching bris play delayed almost every friday. wouldnt it make sense to broadcast the local teams playing on delay? by doing that i guarantee crowds would be up a few thousand, shoulnt that be the main goal, how likely are u to go watch a game if u get it live at home without paying? very unlikely id say, anz looks great on live tv with 7000 people.. top endorsement of the game... i know its about ratings and showing a game live that dosnt have a local team wouldnt get their ads seen but surely the nrl could have had some stipulations, amazing too when bris are top 4 they get magically broadcast live, id rather go sit at the pub and watch fox if ch 9 would let the majority of bris games go, real winners are parra (except the past 2 weeks) they get every game live. moral of the story it blows goats to be a sydney based broncos fan

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013
Necessary evil unfortunately. The main source of income for the NRL is the TV rights, so it has to take priority. I agree thet the broadcast hurts crowd numbers, but delaying the game is akin to 'punishing' those that don't go to see the game live, and you're putting off hundreds of thousands of people purely to try to attract maybe a thousand? extra spectators to the ground. You're forgetting that most of these people can't logistically get to the games.

Twiztid

Twiztid

NRL Player
Apr 14, 2009
If you are that desperate to watch the Broncos live, buy the NRL subscription to watch it on your ipad or iphone. Or you can find a live stream of a QLD coverage of the game very easily on the internet.

Your suggestion won't make any difference to crowd figures and if anything it just hurts Sydney based teams due to your Broncos bias. Friday and Monday night football are some of the hardest matches to get to with the terrible Sydney traffic (and no not because of closed tunnels).

A game earlier in the year I left home in Campbelltown at 4pm to get to ANZ and it took us almost 2 hours. Yesterday, we left at 2pm to get to Gosford just before gates open at 5pm.

There are many families that can't do what I can do. They either can't afford it, can't juggle work commitments to get there or can't be bothered arranging the family to go. Families (anyone really) should be allowed to get home from work, have dinner and sit down to watch the footy of their team live on Friday night. You support an out of state team so obviously have to wait, but you have options available to you to watch them live.

gordjw

gordjw

NRL Player
Jun 29, 2013
You support an out of state team so obviously have to wait, but you have options available to you to watch them live.

Just on this, I have the NRL Live subscription, but you can't watch the second Friday NRL game until it's actually shown on 9. I'm in the ACT, so I don't know if QLD viewers can see the QLD game first.

Mr Fourex

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Apr 9, 2012
hey everyone, im always having this discussion and think ch 9 is responsible for lousy crowds, most noteably in nsw. im a little bias and already annoyed watching bris play delayed almost every friday. ................................. moral of the story it blows goats to be a sydney based broncos fan

Moral of the story is.......... get out of shitsville !!

I had to endure the same thing for 3 yrs when I was living down there. Brisbane was always the 2nd game on Nein.

It sucked !!

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
It baffles me how the main NRL providing network only shows 1 live game a week. That is pathetic. Why can't the Sunday game be live?

Twiztid

Twiztid

NRL Player
Apr 14, 2009
Just on this, I have the NRL Live subscription, but you can't watch the second Friday NRL game until it's actually shown on 9. I'm in the ACT, so I don't know if QLD viewers can see the QLD game first.

I don't have it as I just use Foxtel Go and attend all Rabbitohs games in NSW. I thought you were allowed to select the live games for Friday, just the 4pm game was delayed and had to wait for that so maybe it is region locked. QLD addresses get the Brisbane coverage and NSW/ACT addresses get the Sydney coverage.

I guess live streaming is your friend then lol.

Twiztid

Twiztid

NRL Player
Apr 14, 2009
It baffles me how the main NRL providing network only shows 1 live game a week. That is pathetic. Why can't the Sunday game be live?

It is stupid. I can watch it live via a live stream going to Canada but can't watch it live here.

Mister Wright

Mister Wright

NRL Captain
Jun 8, 2009

It's because 9 want the footy to lead into their news coverage believing it gives their Sunday news a bigger audience. Honestly with most people have DVRs these days not a lot of people watch live programs (so they don't have to watch the ads) except for live sport which kind of makes a mochary of this line of thinking.

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
It's because 9 want the footy to lead into their news coverage believing it gives their Sunday news a bigger audience. Honestly with most people have DVRs these days not a lot of people watch live programs (so they don't have to watch the ads) except for live sport which kind of makes a mochary of this line of thinking.

Make the game start later then?

Socnorb

Socnorb

NRL Captain
Contributor
Aug 5, 2013
Moral of the story is.......... get out of ****sville !!

I had to endure the same thing for 3 yrs when I was living down there. Brisbane was always the 2nd game on Nein.

It sucked !!
worst still . You have to listen to that fwit Hadley. Not on radio now Ray, we Can see the game too you know!!!

Mister Wright

Mister Wright

NRL Captain
Jun 8, 2009
I tried to watch Friday's game and match it up with the MMM call, but the TV was 30 seconds behind. It was a shame, because the radio didn't have Hadley!

lockyer

lockyer

BRL Player
Jul 31, 2013
while i can still be fortunate of bris getting most 9 games i guarentee sydney would benefit most by this, bris can get 25k + at a home game but 5 sydney grounds would boost, for the greater good?

ivanhungryjak

ivanhungryjak

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Sep 8, 2009
I tried to watch Friday's game and match it up with the MMM call, but the TV was 30 seconds behind. It was a shame, because the radio didn't have Hadley!
I do this with the Foxtel box- just have to pause it for about 7 or 8 seconds. :thumbup1:

lockyer

lockyer

BRL Player
Jul 31, 2013

thank a digital signal and janet jacksons boob

Mister Wright

Mister Wright

NRL Captain
Jun 8, 2009
I do this with the Foxtel box- just have to pause it for about 7 or 8 seconds. :thumbup1:

I don't see how pausing works as the MMM call is live and the tv is on a delay. Add to that my son decided to wake up 10 minutes into the first half. So even if I managed to somehow match them up, I'd have to pause the tv and I can't pause the radio call.

ivanhungryjak

ivanhungryjak

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Sep 8, 2009
I don't see how pausing works as the MMM call is live and the tv is on a delay. Add to that my son decided to wake up 10 minutes into the first half. So even if I managed to somehow match them up, I'd have to pause the tv and I can't pause the radio call.
Mmm, not sure but I stream mmm through my phone so it may be delayed a bit?

Active Now

• Maroon4life
  • Gaz
  • matthewransom34@ic
  • BroncosMan
  • Galco
  • thenry
  • Manofoneway
  • Harry Sack
  • Allo
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Jedhead
  • bert_lifts
  • Old Mate
  • I bleed Maroon
  • KickHaas
  • winslow_wong
  • kman
  • bazza
  • Scorchie
... and 9 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.