Club-based gambling web sites

Ari Gold said:
The only thing more pleasing than winning money would be to win it from the Sharks. Thanks for the link Coxy.

So what do you like on Titansbet at the moment Ari? They are giving overs for Forensics to win the Doncaster, offering $11.04 as compared to $11 with UniTAB [icon_wink

mick! said:
I also have to laugh at the "still" braindead article. I farking love it when journalists in this country come out with such fantastic stats as "All too often, that money is rent, grocery and mortgage money", and other such vague and hypothetical suggestions.

Spot on mick - that article is a load of bollocks.

Some people like going out for dinner, some people like going to the movies, and there are people who like to have a bet. Absolutely nothing wrong with it. The industry is so heavily regulated as it is, and to suggest it needs more is ridiculous IMO

Yes, it's regulated, and nobody gets addicted to it or sends themselves into destitution........

Alochol is regulated. And it is this reason that we do not have any alcoholics in Australia.... Right?

Exactly. And people are constantly talking about upgrading the alcohol regulations to try and reduce alcoholism and alcohol related crimes.

Gambling addiction may not be as wide spread, is not as widely publicised, but it's a crippling addiction too - it can destroy a family just as badly as alcohol abuse can. I bet there's more than one person on BHQ who has lost lots of money with compulsive gambling to the point they have or come close to losing their house, or cause incredible tension with their family.

Coxy said:
Exactly. And people are constantly talking about upgrading the alcohol regulations to try and reduce alcoholism and alcohol related crimes.

Gambling addiction may not be as wide spread, is not as widely publicised, but it's a crippling addiction too - it can destroy a family just as badly as alcohol abuse can. I bet there's more than one person on BHQ who has lost lots of money with compulsive gambling to the point they have or come close to losing their house, or cause incredible tension with their family.

Absolutely. I don't think anyone is arguing the fact that gambling CAN be so destructive, to exactly the same point as alcoholism.

My big problem is that people like yourself agree with morons who can't seem to draw a line in the sand between having a flutter and having a problem which could put your whole life at risk. Just like people can be social drinkers who enjoy a beer or three or some wine with friends, people can also have small bets on the footy or horse racing for some enjoyment.

The article above was posted in ridiculous rhetoric and dribble... all good when you can use phrases like "many" and "all too often"... things that can't be disproved, as such, but still are obscenely general and vague.

Yes, gambling should be heavily regulated. But, like alcohol, the majority of people enjoy it without having it rule or ruin their lives... just like alcohol. So honestly, if you're going to get all preachy about this topic, I really don't want to see you drinking a beer the next time we catch a game at the leagues club.

Wow, almost sounds like I touched a nerve there mick!

Problem with online gambling is there's no way to filter who is actually signing up. You can say you need a credit card, but how easy is it to steal someone's credit card?

Anyway, maybe they should apply a limit on gambling online, either a dollar or number of bets per day limit. Doesn't disadvantage the "flutterers" like yourself, but helps stop idiot gambling addicts from blowing their wads.

Coxy said:
Wow, almost sounds like I touched a nerve there mick!

Nah mate, just really hate the fact that so many people call you a "gambler" or think that it can't be done safely when you tell them you're going to put a few dollars on a football match or a horse race. That article absolutely incensed me because of that - the point of his writing was very, very clear.

Agreed with all of your other points, but also you should remember that online gambling is pretty damn hard to get into in terms of signing up, at least with the major players. Try and open an account with TAB Online... guaranteed you need less paperwork when you go to get a mortgage!

The Rock said:
Yeah, and there are restrictions on alcohol, you can't buy it if you're over 18 and you can't buy it if you've had too many already etc.

With online gambling - it's a free for all.

Really? So it's like signing up to Facebook - name and email account and you're underway? :roll:

Seriously, NFI. Of course it could be better and regulations need to be more strict, but honestly try and sign up for an online betting account with the TAB now. See how you go.

The Rock said:
Yeah, and there are restrictions on alcohol, you can't buy it if you're over 18 and you can't buy it if you've had too many already etc.

Well you can't really get a TAB account if you're under 18 either [icon_wink

And it's not as simple as having a credit card to sign up, you need 100 points of ID in most cases (one of which MUST be photographic) and the TAB's 100 points is harder to gather than what the banks need.

Jebadude said:
The Rock said:

Well you can't really get a TAB account if you're under 18 either [icon_wink

And it's not as simple as having a credit card to sign up, you need 100 points of ID in most cases (one of which MUST be photographic) and the TAB's 100 points is harder to gather than what the banks need.

No, Jeb, you're wrong. A 13-year-old can get an account with their hotmail email address and a stolen credit card!

:roll:

The Rock said:
Point you're also missing is that Online gambling should have some serious restrictions in place to stop people ending up in the shit.

Again, there are bugger all restrictions on people ending up "in the sh*t" regarding alcoholism among others.

Add to that the fact that a HUGE percentage of people suffering major dramas due to gambling are poker machine addicts.

Perhaps TAB is more careful, credit to them. I signed up with SportsAcumen - promoted heavily at Broncos games if you remember - and all I needed was a credit card number.

I'm guessing these ones that the Sharks and Knights are using could be similar.

Therein lies one danger.

Indeed. But are checks conducted on the credit card? Hell, all you need is a credit card number to order pizza on the internet too. Or buy concert tickets, or a range of other things.

The Rock said:
[quote="mick!":ry54d9tn][quote="The Rock":ry54d9tn]
Point you're also missing is that Online gambling should have some serious restrictions in place to stop people ending up in the shit.

Again, there are bugger all restrictions on people ending up "in the sh*t" regarding alcoholism among others.

Add to that the fact that a HUGE percentage of people suffering major dramas due to gambling are poker machine addicts.[/quote:ry54d9tn]

Nah there are heaps of restrictions on alcohol that actually deter people from drinking it though.

- Can't drink and drive
- Can't carry or drink alcohol in no alcohol zones
- Majority of Bottle Shops aren't 24 X 7.
- Alcohol not able to be sold to anyone who's consumed too much.

List goes on.

Can't say the same for online gambling. Bit of a free for all to be honest.[/quote:ry54d9tn]

But again does that stop alocholism? Can't do a lot of things... well, you didn't put it well there. AREN'T ALLOWED is more likely... but people still do them.

And above all else, none of the above things helps the rate of alcoholism in Australia, which is increasing and FAR greater than the number of gambling addicts.

Yes, aren't allowed and can't are two different things. If "Can't" actually applied, sar wouldn't boast about her pot smoking. She'd be zapped by some invisible force field before attempting to :P

Reminds me of the Simpsons episode in Florida, where Homer had his licence taken by the cops. They get into a car and Lisa says "Dad you can't drive, they took your licence". Homer says "Let' see," turns the key, car starts "oh my god, it's a miracle!" :P

Most of the problem gamblers in this country are poker machine players anyway, and if people with gambling problems spend their money on the TAB, it's highly likely they wouldn't have online betting anyway. Sure, it's more convenient, but to make a bet you actually have to have the money sitting in your account first, which involves either going down to the TAB or doing it via BPay which takes at lest 24 hours. Problem gamblers don't want to run around like that.

The accounts with credit cards - well think about it. To get a credit card, you have to be on a solid income and have plenty of assets, especially in this day and age. You've also got a set credit limit, so in a way there is a restriction there isn't there? You can't bet over your credit limit, and most people who use up their credit limit on credit cards (whether it be via gambling or not) can still make a minimum monthly payment pretty easily.

Just on the signing up to betting sites.

Legislation states you have 90 days, that's 3 months to send in ID documentation. How do they know if you're over 18?

They don't, hands up who has a debit card? Hands up anyone under 18 who can get one. Everyone under that age should have their hands up.

I signed up to sportingbet with my debit card, put my DOB in. How the hell do they know I didn't put a fake DOB in. Thats 3 months of pay that I could have blown if I was a problem gambler.

So don't you all sit there and talk about how hard it is to sign up to a betting site, it's farking easy.

Active Now

• eggstar10
  • Johnny92
  • Old Mate
  • Jedhead
  • Browny
  • Spooky1013
  • Bucking Beads
  • Hoof Hearted
  • Galah
  • sooticus
  • broncotville
  • Fatboy
  • Jazza
  • NSW stables
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.