Contract talks putting Milford off his game

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
WAYNE Bennett has lashed Brisbane’s attack as “off the pace” and admits his chief strike weapon Anthony Milford is struggling mentally in his bid to secure a new contract.

In a major concern for Brisbane entering Thursday night’s clash against the Roosters at Suncorp Stadium, the misfiring Broncos have scored fewer points than last year’s wooden spooners Newcastle.

The lowly Knights, who won one game last season, have scored 92 points this season — 14 more than the Broncos.

In pre-season, new Broncos skipper Darius Boyd revealed Brisbane would unveil a revamped offence this season. The new system was to be driven by halves Milford and Ben Hunt, who were instructed to play direct and run the ball at every opportunity.

But after five rounds, Bennett has been left to lament a popgun attack that has seen the Broncos score just 12 tries in 407 minutes of football.

In the past three weeks alone, Brisbane have scored five four-pointers, which equates to a try every 48 minutes.

At the heart of the attacking malaise in Milford, who has been off the boil for the past month since his match-winning performance in round one against the Sharks.

Brisbane’s most dangerous attacking weapon remains off-contract and while he is expected to ink a new deal shortly, Bennett admits the uncertainty is messing with Milford’s head.

“It (being off-contract) affects everybody and Anthony is no different. It would be having some impact on him,” Bennett said.

“I don’t think anybody handles it well, to be honest with you. There is an issue of whether you stay at the club and then there’s an issue of other clubs chasing you and offering you more money than where you are at.

“I don’t think we are too far away (from securing Milford to an upgraded deal) ... it shouldn’t be too much longer.”

Milford’s patchy individual form has had ramifications for a Broncos attack that is lacking the firepower and rhythm to put away the NRL’s best sides.

While Brisbane’s tryline defence has been outstanding, their offence, spearheaded by Hunt and Milford, is failing to convert pressure and opportunities into points.

After five rounds, Brisbane have the worst line-break record in the league, averaging just 2.8 line busts per game. They are averaging just 2.4 tries per game, although the Broncos have faced five of the NRL’s top six defensive teams in Melbourne, Cronulla, the Cowboys, Canberra and Canterbury.

“We’re a bit off the pace with our attack,” Bennett said. “We aren’t finishing off what we start and we probably go into our shell for some reason.

“I’m not sure why it has happened, but we know what’s going on, we are on top of it and trying to get it sorted out. We’d like more points.”

Brisbane’s greatest tryscorer, legendary centre Steve Renouf, challenged the Broncos forwards to provide a platform for Milford and Hunt.

“The guys we rely on in attack haven’t found their spark yet,” Renouf said. “But the Broncos need to get that go-forward first.

“The Roosters have a huge pack and it’s important Brisbane’s forwards step up and give their backs some room to move.”

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...g/news-story/8dde4d06d2613bc15c4050a4e5298001

Have to admit i really dont see how contract talks are effecting him

We want him
Others would want him
Hes going to be rich

Not as if hes on a bargain basement 1 year deal.

Its an excuse for his poor performance. Wb should really be coming out saying well hes after big money and he hasnt playing at that level lately. Nothing too bad but a bit of a gentle nudge.

“The guys we rely on in attack haven’t found their spark yet,” Renouf said. “But the Broncos need to get that go-forward first.

“The Roosters have a huge pack and it’s important Brisbane’s forwards step up and give their backs some room to move.”

We're making more metres than previous seasons, but standing so flat in attack wastes all that space

Suck it up pea heart, but some effort in on the field and you'll have a new contract within a month.

All he's doing is making his contract talks reduce in price. Sign the damned contract and get in with it.

Kid needs a teaspoon of concrete each morning for his breakfast.

Umm, is anyone pouring scorn on the Cowboys with the same +/- as us? Is their defence popgun? Maybe Thurston needs a rocket?

Then there's the Storm who lead the comp with the best defence, beat us by 2 and are scoring an average of 4 points a game more than us.

What a fucking beat up this is.

If anyone needs contracts (re-)evaluated it's our coaching staff. Bennett should lash his staff, and himself for that matter. A bit of self flagellation might do Saint Wayne some good.

There's every chance the manager is holding up contract talks with milf in poor form and the manager wanting the magic $1m figure.

Manager could also be whispering in his ear backroom discussions that broncos don't believe he is worth it and such and such is offering $1m and he should take it.

I haven't been a part of contract talks so I have no idea what goes on in the background... but it would be stressful signing away 2,3,4,5 years and the constant media coverage over it all

Umm, is anyone pouring scorn on the Cowboys with the same +/- as us? Is their defence popgun? Maybe Thurston needs a rocket?

Then there's the Storm who lead the comp with the best defence, beat us by 2 and are scoring an average of 4 points a game more than us.

What a fucking beat up this is.

If anyone needs contracts (re-)evaluated it's our coaching staff. Bennett should lash his staff, and himself for that matter. A bit of self flagellation might do Saint Wayne some good.
Yes, but the difference here is Melbourne and the Cowboys have been winning... Funny how losing seems to attract criticism...

Yes, but the difference here is Melbourne and the Cowboys have been winning... Funny how losing seems to attract criticism...

As it should, and it's where the criticism is directed that counts, that helps turn the tide.

It's not Milford who wins or loses games, nor Hunt nor any individual, although their brilliance can be rather helpful. For mine, it's about the game plan and the teams failure to execute it, in attack, or maybe the failure of the game plan itself, which might mean time for a change of plan

Have to admit i really dont see how contract talks are effecting him

We want him
Others would want him
Hes going to be rich

Not as if hes on a bargain basement 1 year deal.

Its an excuse for his poor performance. Wb should really be coming out saying well hes after big money and he hasnt playing at that level lately. Nothing too bad but a bit of a gentle nudge.

Bennett did say that, mate:
“I don’t think anybody handles it well, to be honest with you. There is an issue of whether you stay at the club and then there’s an issue of other clubs chasing you and offering you more money than where you are at."

Give Milf some time to get his rhythm again, he looks to me like he is thinking too much. When he was in form he was playing so naturally, giving the short ball without a second thought. I feel as though it isn't just the halves having the problem, the second rowers and centers aren't running lines or decoys and he is getting jammed up.

Really, WTF? No, no, no... Don't start using this crap as an excuse now.

God dam, we have GOT to win tomorrow night cause this shit is getting pathetic - clutching at straws. Even our coach making excuses. No more.. just shut it and win.

If it's so distracting then just sign the damn thing and move on.

If it's so distracting then just sign the damn thing and move on.
Based on about 90 percent of all your recent 'one liner' posts why are you suddenly keen to get him signed? Surely you want him gone. Or are those posts just rubbish/venting?

Based on about 90 percent of all your recent 'one liner' posts why are you suddenly keen to get him signed? Surely you want him gone. Or are those posts just rubbish/venting?

Bit of rubbish, sarcasm and venting. When it comes to this topic though, I'm am sick of it being a distraction to players. And thanks for reading my posts.

Peter Badel is claiming Milford has been offered 900K a season and his manager is chasing a figure north of 1mill.

Peter Badel is claiming Milford has been offered 900K a season and his manager is chasing a figure north of 1mill.
Tell him he's dreaming!

Seriously though, he's worth it (or close to) at his best but we haven't seen that in a while. Needs to step up and keep that form if he wants that kind of money.
A franchise player on top dollar has to be consistently good. There's a huge disparity between Milf's best and worst game at present.

Active Now

• porouian
  • Gaz
  • broncos4life
  • Howie
  • Johnny92
  • broncsgoat
  • FACTHUNT
  • broncoscope
  • BroncosMan
  • YeahNahMate
  • Redfern_1980
  • Redux
  • Hurrijo
  • winslow_wong
  • MrTickyMcG
  • BroncosAlways
  • Dash
  • Financeguy
  • bert_lifts
... and 10 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.