Cool story about Darren Lockyer

animal eater

animal eater

QCup Player
Jul 27, 2013
So three years ago I was sitting on a plane in Brisbane heading to Sydney. Out of the corner of my eye I see the Broncos starting to board the plane. They were heading down to play Paramatta. I put my head back down into reading a paper and what do you know, I hear a gravely chain saw like voice being directed at me"Excuse me mate, I think you might be sitting in my seat." I didn't need to look at the face to know who was talking. Well F*ck me, being half awake, I was a row off and was sitting in Lockyer's seat. I responded,"Well I wouldn't want to sit in the captains seat."

I moved too my actual seat. Once landed, I ended up striking up a conversation with him. I was off to Sydney for some consulting work for the then Lion Nathan.. now Lion who owns 4x, Tooheys, many drink and dairy companies as well. It turns out that Locky was also an a then ambassador for XXXX. I was at the time looking for a possible hosts for a show I was looking at developing and Darren was at the top of my list. He turned out to be a really kind and humble dude. I gave him my card and he gave me the name of his manager.

Long story, short...Darren was a prince of a guy, his manager George was one of the rudest and most arrogant guys I have ever met in the business world which is saying something because I spent 12 years in the music business in LA and there are some real rude bastards there. So Darren, if you are out there mate, the project can still get some legs. George if you are out there, go suck eggs.

Anyways, I thought you guys might enjoy hearing about animal eater being stupid and sitting in the captains chair by mistake.:biggrin:

Last edited:
Cool story Hansel

Really tho that's a cool story

I once shook Darren's hand after a game in the pokies room at the Normanby Hotel. He seemed pissed off that he had just injured himself and was out. It was 2005.

Justin Hodges' dad was in the entourage playing pokies.

To this day, my friends and I call going to the pokies while drunk, "visiting Hodges' dad".

Anyway, where was I... Oh I was wearing an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time.

I once shook Darren's hand after a game in the pokies room at the Normanby Hotel. He seemed pissed off that he had just injured himself and was out. It was 2005.

To this day, my friends and I call going to the pokies while drunk, "visiting Hodges' dad".

Anyway, where was I... Oh I was wearing an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time.

Well Locky was a competitor so not surprised he was pissed off about missing game time. Funny story about Hodgo and his dad.

The bit about the story I find most interesting is what [MENTION=8360]animal eater[/MENTION] does for a living... sounds like a big time player in the business world! :laugh:

The bit about the story I find most interesting is what @animal eater does for a living... sounds like a big time player in the business world! :laugh:

Hardly mate, I run a small company that has PT studio and I provide corporate health and wellbeing for companies. Always looking to expand though!

I once shook Darren's hand after a game in the pokies room at the Normanby Hotel. He seemed ****ed off that he had just injured himself and was out. It was 2005.

When I went to play the pokies at the normanby a few years back I saw Thaiday in there playing. It was the night he teamed up with Boyd and Hunt, so obviously he was in the mood for some slots.

When I went to play the pokies at the normanby a few years back I saw Thaiday in there playing. It was the night he teamed up with Boyd and Hunt, so obviously he was in the mood for some slots.

Beavis and Butthead

I love the slots

slots gonna slot.

Locky sounds like such a kooky dude.

Didn't his wife reveal that Lockyer would leave a pizza slice outside her front door before they started dating?

Locky sounds like such a kooky dude.

Didn't his wife reveal that Lockyer would leave a pizza slice outside her front door before they started dating?

Well that's one way to get someone to answer the door.

Funny thing is on the plane where virtually all of his team mates where goofing around with games and whatnot, he was busy reading the business section of the paper. I asked a few of the players if they were ready for Paramatta and they all said no sweat, were ready. You could just tell they didn't take them seriously at all and low and behold they lost that game.

I think it was 2010? It would of been his swan song year.

Wasn't Locky out with a rib injury for that game? I think we lost the second game against the Eels in 2009 with Locky on board.

I think you might be right. I remember a game we lost to Parra during their run in 2009 (where we had the horror of Michaels and Glenn playing in the centres) but I don't think Locky was playing in the loss against them in 2010.

We won down in Parra in 2010.

They beat us up here without Locky.

Active Now

• davidp
  • Old Mate
  • Mr Fourex
  • broncsgoat
  • Broncorob
  • dasherhalo
  • Lostboy
  • BroncosMan
  • GCBRONCO
  • barker
  • ivanhungryjak
  • matthewransom34@ic
  • Fitzy
  • Waynesaurus
  • Financeguy
  • Sproj
  • Broncos Maestro
  • BroncosAlways
  • Foordy
... and 27 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.