OFFICIAL Cooper Cronk calls time on career

Jedhead

NRL Player
Yeh last Friday night when he sooked over a perfectly legal tackle by Joffa must have made him realise afterwards he's just too old for the rough and tumble of NRL.

Good luck to him in the future. Please don't spoil such a great legacy with anymore of those sooks Cooper.

Cult3

State of Origin Captain
Announced it after a loss expecting the NRL to hand them a fairytale for the rest of the year?

Old Mate

NRL Player
Was hoping he went around for one more season, now they’ve got that cash to snake a player or two.

Tom

State of Origin Rep
Some will be used on Latrell you would think. He's off-contract end of this year.

I bleed Maroon

State of Origin Rep
Amazing player and a very good career. The Scums salary cap scandal drags it down a fair bit. Not quite as good as the likes of Locky and Langer but still pretty up there.

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Rep
Cronk deserves all the accolades and fortune he has amassed throughout his career. He wasn't the most naturally gifted footballer and has had to work damn hard to get to where he is now. Congratulations Cooper..... I wish you well.

That said, I don't think he would have been anything other than an average footballer, if it weren't for Craig Bellamy and Cameron Smith.

something

NYC Player

thoughts?

I don't know - he wasn't really a once in a generation player... in the QLD team he wasn't as good as Thurston or Smith.

God, it'd be a farce if Darren isn't the next Immortal.

Allo

NRL Captain
View attachment 5260

thoughts?

I don't know - he wasn't really a once in a generation player... in the QLD team he wasn't as good as Thurston or Smith.

God, it'd be a farce if Darren isn't the next Immortal.
While he has achieved arguably more than some of those Immortals - premierships at multiple clubs, part of the QLD golden age, now has some grand final folklore to go with it etc, I think there’s an intangible quality or aura about certain players that put them in that higher echelon. They’re also players that defined or dominated a position, when they got the ball, you sat up and took notice. If you played against them, it’s a matter of when, not if, they’d make you look like you’re playing a different game to them. At least that’s what I feel it should be.

So Cronk, while a fantastic player, isn’t one of those guys. He is however, one of the best examples of hard work and application. You may not be as naturally talented, but you can still achieve greatness.

Having said all that, Johns is the only one I actually saw play, and his position there is still debatable in some regards, or at least the recency of it. I’m sure there are better judges on here though

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Twitter

Upgrade to a Contributor Account to remove advertising