NEWS Cronk and Croft: not actually the same player

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
Cooper Cronk explains to our man Pete Badel why different books can have similar covers:

“The biggest test for Brodie is in the moment, in the now and how he reacts this season. You could make an argument that Brodie is the right fit for this Broncos team, but the only way he will prove that theory right or wrong is time and performance. Brodie is up there with the hardest working young kids I have seen in the game. That will hold him in good stead, but he needs to develop other aspects of his game."

“The Broncos have one of the most talented rosters in terms of age and ability across the competition. Brodie fits into that. But there is another aspect to halfback play that you can’t judge or put a finger on and that’s connectivity. You need a synergy and making everything move and work together. To put all that individuality at the Broncos together, it will take a good halfback to bring it all together and part of a halfback’s job is to take control. The best way for Brodie to improve is to get thrown in the deep end and see if you can swim.”

I get the similarities between me and Brodie, but he needs to just be his own person. You have to ask Brodie if it was a burden for him, but for me, as someone who now works with young halves, they have to be their own person.

“The reason why Brodie Croft has been picked up from Melbourne is because of his identity. He has his own strengths, weaknesses and skill set that the Broncos wanted in their football team. Advice is only 5 per cent of it. A halfback keeps 95 per cent of his identity and that can hold him in good stead. From what I have seen of Brodie, he has all the skill acquisition he needs, but the test now is Friday night footy against the Cowboys in Round 1.”

McHunt

Last edited:
I'm just saying right now, if Siebold had used words like 'connectivity' and 'synergy' there would be some BHQ'ers bagging him for his new age crap, and having a dig about his Harvard leadership course.
But Cronk says it and it's crickets.........

I'm just saying right now, if Siebold had used words like 'connectivity' and 'synergy' there would be some BHQ'ers bagging him for his new age crap, and having a dig about his Harvard leadership course.
Nah I've seen Cronk get hammered plenty of times for his eloquence. Can't win either way.

boys did well, gave 110% - deadshit
*original statement not full of cliches, delivered with aplomb* - look at this *** thinking he's smarter than everyone.

Yeah but wasn't seibold talking about his "connectivity " and " synergy " whilst watching a dude ride a bull ??

Cronk's actually done a thing or two in his career aside from play buzzword bingo. If Seibold won us a premiership he can spew synergy and crap on about connectivity, prattle on about paradigm shifts and keep mentioning kpis till the cows not only come home but get so tired of the husky Harvardeer's management mumbo-jumbo that they bugger off for a trot down the shops again. That's a big if, cos all he's done with his million dollar words thus far is scrape into the 8 and get absolutely monstered.

Cronk's actually done a thing or two in his career aside from play buzzword bingo.
Yep, didn't coast on talent when he was young and worked his arse off to become the best organising half in the game and has 4 grand final wins to show for it.

Sorry McHunt. I’m going to need help understanding this one. Can you show your working out on the blackboard please.

Cronk's actually done a thing or two in his career aside from play buzzword bingo. If Seibold won us a premiership he can spew synergy and crap on about connectivity, prattle on about paradigm shifts and keep mentioning kpis till the cows not only come home but get so tired of the husky Harvardeer's management mumbo-jumbo that they bugger off for a trot down the shops again. That's a big if, cos all he's done with his million dollar words thus far is scrape into the 8 and get absolutely monstered.

Hey @abashii not having a go coz I actually like your posts :)
When I wrote my post I knew someone would say this.
It's OK for Cronk to say it as he has runs on the board, it's not OK for Siebold as he he doesn't.
I get that, I really do. But it's also true to say that this kind of 'new age' language is either OK or it's not OK - it doesn't and cannot matter who says it.
I'm just saying that anybody who accepts Cronk's words here should not be having a crack at Siebold for using similar language as that is inconsistent at best, hypocritical at worst.
Instead, have a go at Siebold for his poor results.

Hey @abashii not having a go coz I actually like your posts :)
When I wrote my post I knew someone would say this.
It's OK for Cronk to say it as he has runs on the board, it's not OK for Siebold as he he doesn't.
I get that, I really do. But it's also true to say that this kind of 'new age' language is either OK or it's not OK - it doesn't and cannot matter who says it.
I'm just saying that anybody who accepts Cronk's words here should not be having a crack at Siebold for using similar language as that is inconsistent at best, hypocritical at worst.
Instead, have a go at Siebold for his poor results.
I get where you're coming from but, surprising nobody, disagree. My point, perhaps poorly put given my penchance for piles and piles of alliterative prattle, was Cronk gets synergy, like he really gets it man, he grooves on connectivity, he's got more than a decade of hitting his kpis under his belt and demonstrated a deep, thorough understanding of managing a football game at an individual and team level.

Love him or hate him, Siebold does not. He's had limited success at NRL level, but more germane to this he's not actually demonstrated that he really understands the terms he's using. Look at our performances so far, the 2019 Broncos might be the literal antithesis of synergy. We keep getting fed buzzwords with no hint of substance behind them. To stretch a metaphor so far it's beyond a metasix, when Cronk uses those terms it's a slow cooked meal, flavour all the way through. Seibold is a maccas meal - looks good in the picture but the product you get is never as good as the one you were sold, it's just superficial, and ultimately leaves you feeling empty and depressed.

Seibold is a maccas meal - looks good in the picture but the product you get is never as good as the one you were sold, it's just superficial, and ultimately leaves you feeling empty and depressed.
I always thought of him more as a happy meal, only the same toy you always get.

Last edited:
I get where you're coming from but, surprising nobody, disagree. My point, perhaps poorly put given my penchance for piles and piles of alliterative prattle, was Cronk gets synergy, like he really gets it man, he grooves on connectivity, he's got more than a decade of hitting his kpis under his belt and demonstrated a deep, thorough understanding of managing a football game at an individual and team level.

Love him or hate him, Siebold does not. He's had limited success at NRL level, but more germane to this he's not actually demonstrated that he really understands the terms he's using. Look at our performances so far, the 2019 Broncos might be the literal antithesis of synergy. We keep getting fed buzzwords with no hint of substance behind them. To stretch a metaphor so far it's beyond a metasix, when Cronk uses those terms it's a slow cooked meal, flavour all the way through. Seibold is a maccas meal - looks good in the picture but the product you get is never as good as the one you were sold, it's just superficial, and ultimately leaves you feeling empty and depressed.

Seems there's always an opportunity to have a go at Seibold, when the context is something entirely not about him.

What made Cronk top tier also had an awful lot to do with the exceptional spines he had around him, around him for years and years, and, good coaches who knew how to pull it all together. I'm surprised he didn't mention that, that without a hooker and FB with the vision and all round quality like Smith and Slater, there would be bugger all of the cohesion and connectivity he describes. It's a lot more than just the halfback - and a bloody good one at that - pulling it all together on the field.

Look at us last year, our spine, collectively and individually. Says a lot.

Seibold inherited last year's inadequate roster and had no real pre-season. He's a relatively new coach still fitting in here. He's a product of his methods of coaching, so he'll talk that talk. I don't have a problem with that. He is speaking as a coach. It's his profession. I can't see how it is fair to criticise someone for doing their job. And not to forget being coach of the Broncos is a big ask.

For mine, Seibold needs at least a full season with this roster to show his wares, or not. Until then, any comparisons based on 2019 to other coaches with quality rosters, and with a player like Cronk with his long career and in the company of 1st rate players and coaches, are invidious and meaningless.

Seibold has now got a quality halfback, Milf at 5/8 and a FB and hooker who look pretty good, especially compared to the dog's breakfast of last season. His job is to pull it all together off the field so that Croft can pull it all together on the field. I actually have my doubts that he can but, we can't ask for the proof of this pudding until we have eaten it. I'll reserve judgement - on Seibold and Croft, until then, and until then, I'll enjoy my weekly quarter pounder, more so starting next week.

Last edited:
Seems there's always an opportunity to have a go at Seibold, when the context is something entirely not about him.

What made Cronk top tier also had an awful lot to do with the exceptional spines he had around him, around him for years and years, and, good coaches who knew how to pull it all together. I'm surprised he didn't mention that, that without a hooker and FB with the vision and all round quality like Smith and Slater, there would be bugger all of the cohesion and connectivity he describes. It's a lot more than just the halfback - and a bloody good one at that - pulling it all together on the field.

Look at us last year, our spine, collectively and individually. Says a lot.

Seibold inherited last year's inadequate roster and had no real pre-season. He's a relatively new coach still fitting in here. He's a product of his methods of coaching, so he'll talk that talk. I don't have a problem with that. He is speaking as a coach. It's his profession. I can't see how it is fair to criticise someone for doing their job. And not to forget being coach of the Broncos is a big ask.

For mine, Seibold needs at least a full season with this roster to show his wares, or not. Until then, any comparisons based on 2019 to other coaches with quality rosters, and with a player like Cronk with his long career and in the company of 1st rate players and coaches, are invidious and meaningless.

Seibold has now got a quality halfback, Milf at 5/8 and a FB and hooker who look pretty good, especially compared to the dog's breakfast of last season. His job is to pull it all together off the field so that Croft can pull it all together on the field. I actually have my doubts that he can but, we can't ask for the proof of this pudding until we have eaten it. I'll reserve judgement - on Seibold and Croft, until then, and until then, I'll enjoy my weekly quarter pounder, more so starting next week.
Fantastic post, completely agree.

They are probably about 3/5th similar.

Both last names start with "Cro"

How is getting back up on the bull after getting bucked off a difficult metaphor to grasp?

Because "synergy" and "connectivity" have nothing to do with it. Get back on there, learn from your mistakes, and do better next time. Seibold is trying to fix the problem by identifying trends in the way the horse is bucking and countering the movements, but hasn't yet realised our dumb shit players have let go with both hands.

Active Now

• Morkel
  • Bish
  • Dash
  • Xzei
  • Broncosgirl
  • ivanhungryjak
  • HarryAllan7
  • Old Mate
  • Morepudding
  • RolledOates
  • Allo
  • FACTHUNT
  • Fatboy
  • Foordy
  • winslow_wong
  • Bucking Beads
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.