PLAYER Darius Boyd Discussion

My opinion. A shit player simply can't lead by example.

I get that point, but for me, a Captain leading by example is about heart, effort, determination

You don't have to be a once in a generation type player to do that

Of course, you shouldn't complete rubbish either

When Macca has more control you get brilliant attack such as 5 one out runs followed by a grubber.

When Macca has more control you get brilliant attack such as 5 one out runs followed by a grubber.
McCullough's options don't vary much either. It doesn't matter who he picks to pass it to, they're all just going to run straight. Or he could pass it to TPJ every tackle and people on here would hate him for burning TPJ out. He can't win.

This season? He's been the Warriors MVP, I think he showed the difference between him and Mculloch over the weekend and it's a bigger difference than number 5 v 7.

In relation to Boyd yeah he's pretty bad, he should be nowhere near the custodian role. If they are that desperate to have him then play him at centre or wing. What I noticed as you guys really struggle with a lack of a running dummy, a smart game manager and having a fullback that offers absolutely nothing with ball in hand, or much of anything at all. When that's 3/4 of ya spine there's as issue, we've certainly been there in past ourselves.
You've worked out how to get likes from the usual bunch here pretty quickly. Good work.

This season he's been good, but he hasn't been good since his last contract season. His lows, which happen for 2-3 years in a row are much lower than McCullough average game which happens for 30 weeks a year.

When we are struggling like the game against the Warriors, Boyd is the only person who looks to offer something with that sweep play. People are dead quiet about how shit Milford was but are piling on the blokes they usually pile the blame on.

We are struggling with a million dollar half who can't stop eating in the off season which in turn makes him worthless until round 7 every year, then at round 10 he learns to catch a ball and then decides to play well every 3-4 games. Our running dummy half is playing half back because Milford wanted too much and we couldn't afford a half to compliment him and after you guys, we have the dumbest team in the comp. At least it didn't take us a couple of thousand years to learn how to breathe though.

@Cult3

GHGDisA.jpg

Yeah probably going to blame the millionaire who shows up every 4 weeks. Our hooker is barely part of the attacking game plan. We have been a defensive team for years (Successfully, might I add) which is where he was the glue. When he wasn't there we fell apart. The players we signed to attack need to step up and attack, not the defensive hooker.

When is the last time a team won a comp with a purely defensive hooker?

2017 - Smith, key to their attack
2016 - Ennis, key to their attack
2015 - Granville, was in great form that year, pure attack
2014 - Luke/Koroisau, pure attack
2013 - Friend, good attack before he decided to become a tackling machine and go to shit
2012 - Smith, key to their attack
2011 - Ballin, was still a good player back then, good in attack
2010 - Dean Young, probably the one time it doesn't apply, 8 years ago
2007-9 - Smith and Ballin again
2006 - Berrigan, his attack turned our season around, Clive Churchill winner

Hooker is one of the 4 key positions in attack, it's where everything begins.

Last edited:
I just want to see a game where McCullough is allowed to throw the same passes Smith, Friend, Tom Brady and Granville throw every week so it's a level playing field.

Last edited:
Yeah probably going to blame the millionaire who shows up every 4 weeks. Our hooker is barely part of the attacking game plan. We have been a defensive team for years (Successfully, might I add) which is where he was the glue. When he wasn't there we fell apart. The players we signed to attack need to step up and attack, not the defensive hooker.

Oh, I agree with you about almost everything you say, don't worry. Just found it amusing that we couldn't even make it through a thread discussing Boyd for the pro-McCullough / anti-Milford stuff to come up :P

2013 - Friend, good attack before he decided to become a tackling machine and go to shit

Berrigan also had the advantage of defending at centre and Stagg coming into the ruck when Broncos didn't have the ball. That would certainly help your attack.

6. Farah (regardless of what people may think about his character, he is still a gun hooker)
Let's get him for next year, swansong at the Broncos.
I'd absolutely take him at halfback TBH, his play making/creativity is still in the top tier, and he's a gun defender.

Bennett must have a lot of faith in the 7's coming through and Macca, because outside of Taylor, I don't think we've ever even explored signing an actual first grader in either of those positions. We haven't even bothered to get a backup dummy half, although Turpin looked pretty good but I'm assuming we'll only ever see him as injury cover which is a shame. I would really like to see him get some actual games, Macca doesn't need to play 80. It makes more sense than carrying a centre on the bench anyway.

Berrigan also had the advantage of defending at centre and Stagg coming into the ruck when Broncos didn't have the ball. That would certainly help your attack.

Maybe so, but that doesn't really change the fact that we still heavily relied on his attack to win the whole thing.

Any chance of pinching Damien Cook? Our teams almost half filled with potential/current Blues players so why grab another??

You've worked out how to get likes from the usual bunch here pretty quickly. Good work.

This season he's been good, but he hasn't been good since his last contract season. His lows, which happen for 2-3 years in a row are much lower than McCullough average game which happens for 30 weeks a year.

When we are struggling like the game against the Warriors, Boyd is the only person who looks to offer something with that sweep play. People are dead quiet about how shit Milford was but are piling on the blokes they usually pile the blame on.

We are struggling with a million dollar half who can't stop eating in the off season which in turn makes him worthless until round 7 every year, then at round 10 he learns to catch a ball and then decides to play well every 3-4 games. Our running dummy half is playing half back because Milford wanted too much and we couldn't afford a half to compliment him and after you guys, we have the dumbest team in the comp. At least it didn't take us a couple of thousand years to learn how to breathe though.

Well no not really ,my like history on our forum is pretty dismal compared to some. Thats not why I post and a main reason I hate FB because its a popularity contest but at the same time I always like a post I agree with both here and Warriors forum :)

I just feel like you need an attacking 9 to really make inroads in winning a premiership and this is pretty well highlighted by a post - sorry dont have posters name on hand - that highlights teams that have won a championship with an attacking hooker. Trust me before Luke I was a big fan of Nathan Friends game but truth his style isn't the way to win in the modern era, 1980s pre Steve Walters maybe.....

Granted you are on to it, Luke was crap his first two years with us but our whole team was diabolical. He came back fit and ready when it mattered and right at this moment the level of play between him and McCulloch isn't particularly close.

Now do the same for half backs and 5/8s. When considering 5/8, look into the wages paid too.

You quickly realise that Macca ain't our problem.

Active Now

• bert_lifts
  • Thelmus
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.