NEWS Darius Boyd tips "great guy" Lodge to be next captain

I bleed Maroon

I bleed Maroon

International Rep
Apr 17, 2013

More than likely this is exactly what it appears and Boyd is answering a typical soft ball question from a journo about Lodge's eligibility as captain, however those of us who like to dream a bit could interpret these comments as being that Boyd is aware the writing is on the wall.

More than likely this is exactly what it appears and Boyd is answering a typical soft ball question from a journo about Lodge's eligibility as captain, however those of us who like to dream a bit could interpret these comments as being that Boyd is aware the writing is on the wall.

Unfortunately, everything we've seen and heard so far suggests the opposite is true, Boyd seems completely out of touch with his own performances and the views of fans.

Resilient Boyd excited about 2020
Troy WhittakerTue 22 Oct 2019, 06:00 PM
The knockers won't deter Broncos veteran Darius Boyd, who is keen to contribute in any role next season.
Boyd was a popular punching bag this year, with his leadership and commitment harshly questioned by pundits and trolls.
Speculation has recently arisen that Boyd could be replaced as Brisbane's captain and battle for a fixed place in the NRL team.
However, the former Queensland and Australian champion is excited about 2020 and believes he has more to give.
"I don't read too much into [the negative] type of stuff," Boyd told NRL.com while promoting the return of the NRL Nines in Perth.
"I don't have social media, I don't watch talk shows or read papers. I've learned that's not good for your mental space.
"A lot of the time it's just to sell stories or papers. Headlines [without] a lot of truth behind them. I just focus on myself, my family, what I can be doing better at the club."
Boyd scores from perfect Milford kick

Boyd scores from perfect Milford kick
Boyd switched from fullback to five-eighth in 2019 and a move to centre has been touted – but the 32-year-old doesn't mind what number he wears.
"Personally, [my goal] is being pretty consistent in whatever position I'm playing and making sure I'm doing my best for the team each week," said Boyd, who celebrated the birth of his second child in September.
"As a group we need to be better and probably some of the older guys in the group need to help the young guys with that ... We need to close the gap between our best and worst performances."
Brisbane's up-and-down season came to a shuddering halt in week one of the finals with a record 58-0 loss to Parramatta.
While stressing that performance "wasn't acceptable", Boyd said it was a fair effort to even reach the playoffs after a turbulent start to life under coach Anthony Seibold with six losses from eight games.
"Having new coaching staff come in this year, having eight to 10 debutants play, a couple of our experienced guys [James Roberts and Kodi Nikorima] go through the year – to still make the finals, there's definitely a lot of positives to take out of the season," said Boyd.
"I've been saying it all year – we've got some really special talent around the club at the moment."
Perhaps none more special than teenage tearaways Payne Haas and David Fifita, the latter of whom excelled for Australia last weekend at the World Cup 9s.
The mobile behemoths will no doubt be star attractions if picked to play in the 2020 NRL Nines in Perth, and Boyd is looking forward to playing alongside them.
The one-time Clive Churchill Medallist dismissed concerns about player burnout or injury risks.
"Instead of going to the sand dunes or hills for fitness in pre-season training, you can go to Nines and play a bit of footy – have a bit of fun while doing fitness," he said.
"You'd be playing another trial somewhere anyway if you didn't have the Nines."
Canberra's Jarrod Croker, St George Illawarra's SHaylee Bent, Canterbury's Marcelo Montoya and Brisbane's Darius Boyd at the launch of the 2020 Nines.
Canberra's Jarrod Croker, St George Illawarra's SHaylee Bent, Canterbury's Marcelo Montoya and Brisbane's Darius Boyd at the launch of the 2020 Nines. ©Nathan Hopkins/NRL Photos
The 16 NRL teams will be split in four pools, while the four NRLW sides will compete in a round-robin.
Dragons NRLW gun Shaylee Bent said it's a great chance to grow the women's game in new areas.
"It'll be really good for the young girls and females [in Perth]," Bent said.
"Having out here will [spark] more interest and bring the girls hope that they can make it as well."

Speaking of our exalted leader.... yaaaayyyy

I think he would have been more effective in that hammock in the 2019 season then being on the actual field.

Last edited:
Hopefully he tips into retirement.

Unfortunately, everything we've seen and heard so far suggests the opposite is true, Boyd seems completely out of touch with his own performances and the views of fans.

Surely he isn’t that stupid though? He’s been in the game a long time and has seen it all. I honestly feel that he knows as well as all of us do that he’s cooked, but he’s not willing to let go of that final pay out before retirement

I think he would have been more effective in that hammock in the 2019 season then being on the actual field.
Now that I think about it, outside of retirement I couldn't think of a better position for him in 2020

Last edited:
Surely he isn’t that stupid though? He’s been in the game a long time and has seen it all. I honestly feel that he knows as well as all of us do that he’s cooked, but he’s not willing to let go of that final pay out before retirement
I'd hang in there too.

Darius is playing for a new contract. He might have a dally m season.

I'm guessing dragons for the spoon depending on De belins court case.

I'd hang in there too.

I wouldn't, but I'd be looking for a nice $300k a year job at the club
It's best for the team now, and best for me in the long run
If the club didn't want to make that offer I'd be much less likely to do the right thing by them

Active Now

• Justwin
  • MrMoore
  • Big Del
  • Browny
  • Fozz
  • azza.79
  • kman
  • Harry Sack
  • Swordfish
  • Foordy
  • porouian
  • Waynesaurus
  • Morkel
  • Broncs1459
  • Kev_Guz
  • Broncosgirl
  • Rambstien
  • thenry
  • davidp
  • kiwibronco
... and 4 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.