NEWS Darren Lockyer reveals where Adam Reynolds sits in 'brutally honest' review

BHQArticleImageLarge119

Darren Lockyer says the Broncos will conduct a "brutally honest" review into the club's disastrous NRL season - but doesn't expect it to result in a change of captain.

Veteran skipper Adam Reynolds is feeling the heat following a withering spray from club legend Gorden Tallis earlier this week.

Tallis claimed Reynolds had "failed" a leadership test when he appeared on Triple M radio after teammate Billy Walters boycotted the station.

Walters quit his regular radio role out of anger at how Triple M had spoken about his father and Brisbane's coach, Kevin.

Reynolds subsequently stepped into the void and appeared on Triple M in his place, leaving Tallis livid and aiming both barrels at the captain - ironically teeing off while appearing on the same radio station on Monday.

Broncos director Lockyer was careful not to fire back at his former teammate Tallis, but went into bat for Reynolds when speaking on Wide World of Sports' QLDER.

"Everyone is entitled to their opinion," Lockyer said.

"I think when the Broncos, after such a strong performance last year, when they're not performing a lot of people get asked their opinions about the Broncos, and they are entitled to that.

"I know that everyone from the board down - coaches, staff, players - are obviously disappointed with how 2024 has gone. But I've always approached things as what's done is done, but you need to learn from it and try to prevent it from happening again.

"That's the process that will happen now the season is over, which will be next week - go through and understand why it wasn't successful like we thought it would be, and put measures in place to prevent it from happening again."

It was put to Lockyer whether someone else could replace Reynolds as official skipper of the team next year.

Reynolds is often one of Brisbane's best players when he's fit and on the field, but has spent long periods out injured since joining Red Hill three years ago.

The on-field duties have fallen to the likes of Pat Carrigan, who is seen as a future full-time Broncos captain, but Lockyer doesn't want Reynolds to lose the 'c' next to his name just yet.

"I think he's capable of doing both," Lockyer said.

"When the team is playing well, and he's playing well, he is the most influential player out there.

"I would say the form of every individual in the team has struggled. That's the outcome from a team that has lost confidence, has lost form.

"I'm sure when Adam has retired and left the Broncos that guys like Pat Carrigan, Payne Haas, those guys have been sitting in the wings long enough that they will know what leadership looks like."

Fellow Brisbane legend Wally Lewis also spoke in support of Reynolds, who is contracted for another season with the club.

"Gordie (Tallis) speaks his mind, he doesn't hold back too much," Lewis said.

"It's been a tough year for Adam. He's had a pile of injuries... all the criticism in the world isn't going to fix things... perhaps it will inspire Adam if he's there."

The Broncos finish their season against the Storm on Thursday night.

WWOS

Why the **** is club always so passive whenever Tallis takes a swipe? Why can’t they call him on his bullshit or tell him to **** off? He has made it clear what he thinks of us and where his loyalties lie seeing he is a Titans ambassador FFS so why do we care? Grow a pair for a fucking change.

Why the **** is club always so passive whenever Tallis takes a swipe? Why can’t they call him on his bullshit or tell him to **** off? He has made it clear what he thinks of us and where his loyalties lie seeing he is a Titans ambassador FFS so why do we care? Grow a pair for a fucking change.
Unfortunately our club is very passive. We need to start acting like the Alpha club we’re.

How much was locky paid to speak.
Part of a front office that’s done **** all for years.
**** up darren

Reynolds is bar far the best captain option at the club. Patty has shown strong leadership but he doesn’t t need a C next to his name to be a leader.

Reynolds is the best captain we’ve had since Hodges.

Let me guess, locky was on the fence about it.

Completely agree. Why we cant just come out with something like "Well Gordon is an employee of the Titans who are finishing below us on the ladder so maybe he should be focused on the club who are paying his bills" is beyond me.

We have been passive for too long whether it be referee performances, media call outs and player rumours. Was hoping Dave might improve our messaging but hasn't happened. The passiveness comes out in how we play... get bullied on and off the field with no bite, let alone a bark.

It’s funny how Gordy didn’t have much to say at the Brekky Creek when I ran into at lunch a while back

Active Now

• theshed
  • Fozz
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.