Gaz

NRL Captain
Contributor
Oct 7, 2017
David Fifita: My next goal is to play for Maroons in 2019

Author
Joel GouldNRL.com Reporter
Thu 24 Jan 2019, 02:04 PM

Broncos teenager David Fifita wrote down a representative goal for this year. It is to play for the Queensland Maroons.
Based on the 18-year-old forward's record of success at hitting the targets he sets, that aspiration is well within his grasp.
Last year Fifita was the first player in history born in the 2000s to play in the NRL when he lined up in 11 games for the Broncos. He wants to continue that trend but also has other fish to fry.
"I always set goals and at the start of the pre-season I wrote down that to play Origin this year for Queensland and to play round one for the Broncs were my goals," Fifita told NRL.com at the Emerging Maroons camp.
"I've been setting goals ever since I was 15 and every time I set the goals they have come true. I love to write them on the notepad on my phone, and look at them."
With regard to his goal setting, Fifita said it was making the Queensland under 15 side that won the Australian Secondary Schools Championships in 2015 that "kicked it all off".
david-fifita-murri-under-16.jpg

David Fifita with Sam Thaiday following his selection in the Murri under 16 team.©qrl.com.au
After captaining that side he then ticked off all the other goals on his bucket list.
Firstly, making the Australian under 15 merit side and then playing for the Murri under 16s and Queensland under 16s and under 18s teams, all of which he captained.
My next goal to hopefully put the Maroons jersey on ... hopefully the opportunity will come
Emerging Maroons forward David Fifita​
On his hit list was playing for Keebra Park High School's top side and making the Australian Schoolboys, all of which he achieved.
Mal Meninga played under 18s for Souths during his first year in the Brisbane Rugby League and by the end of the season was a permanent fixture in the side, but QRL officials believe Fifita made history in 2018 when he played Mal Meninga Cup under 18s and Intrust Super Cup (both for Souths-Logan), and NRL for the Broncos, all in the same year.
Fifita isn't getting ahead of himself. His mother Gwen, who would regularlyo for Maroons in 2019attend Keebra Park training on the Gold Coast, will see to that.
"It was a memorable year 2018, but that is behind me and I have to focus on 2019 now," sights on Slater's Maroons No.1 jersey
"The Broncos staff and all the boys keep me grounded, and my parents. It is my mum mainly. She is the reason why I do everything. There were some hard times growing up and she has always been by my side and driving me to training. So long as she is happy, I'm happy.
"Coming up through all the Queensland teams I always say it is a stepping stone ... from the 15s, 16s, 18s and now here. To be in camp just shows what a good system it is and I am grateful to be part of it.
"My next goal to hopefully put the Maroons jersey on is going to be hard to do with the boys in front of me but if I can keep training hard one day hopefully the opportunity will come."
david--fifita-queensland-under-16.jpg

David Fifita playing for the Queensland under 16 team.©qrl.com.au
Queensland coach Kevin Walters said Fifita's drive and attitude were outstanding and was pleased to hear about his Maroons aspirations for 2019.
"I wouldn't back against him. David wants to achieve things and is very ambitious and that is a great attitude to have," Walters told NRL.com.
"We all have goals and aspirations and David saying he wants to play State of Origin this year is a good thing. It shows he wants to get better, and he needs to get
Fifita knows there are other hungry back-rowers in the race to play for the Maroons. He sees two of them – Jaydn Su'A and Matt Gillett – at training each day and they have been "real helpful".
He has already taken on board Walters's advice to "be better".
He is determined to get his fitness levels up in the pre-season. It is no surprise he has set a concrete goal to improve in this area, to get his 1.2km time trial run down under five minutes.
Walters said Fifita's progression was a credit to Fifita and the Maroons' pathway system.
"Some boys have the talent but drift away around that 18 age-group but he is staying hard at it," Walters said.
"There are always kids with a lot of ability but David has the right attitude to get him to that next level each time. I worked with him last year at the Broncos where his attitude was impressive, and likewise again on the weekend.
"It also shows that we have got the right systems in place for players to come through and develop.
"It is not always left up to the NRL clubs but we also have to play a role in that as well in providing some camps and information, and also the drive to get through all those under age Queensland sides into Emerging Origin and then into State of Origin."

Source: NRL.com

Last edited:
Love his ambition. I think if he plays like he did last year he could be a real chance.

They made it sound like he was expecting it this year but he was really just putting it there as a future goal. personally I think he will do well to consistently play in the 17 this year, but there is no reason in another season he won't be knocking the door down for a second row spot.
It would be great to see his defence become a focus this year for development. I think that where most of young forwards (with the exception of offa and sua towards the end) fell short.

I really like the sound of this Fafita kid. Big goals.

Hi UB :-)

That try where he held of like a "thousand" (Fatty Vaughton) showed such strength and determination for one so young. He's future captain material.

Goals are great but making the run-on team should be his first priority. That will require a more consistent effort in defence and a lot more game time played. After that, the sky's the limit but work on what he needs to do to get that, then move onto origin games. For my money, every young player on the verge of 1st-grade selection sees rep football as part of their future whether they say it or not, and that's all to the good. The problem is when people buy into it and put unrealistic expectations on that same player because then it goes from the "next big thing" to a "yesterday's hero" situation.
There's every chance he can make it but if he's playing in QLD cup halfway through the year with Sua and Gillet or glenn carving it up, that doesn't mean he's not worth investing in. It just means he'll have to wait a little longer. On the other hand, if he does make it to first grade, it will be a case of building the same kind of consistency to make it to rep football.
I hope it takes a little longer than some people think because I've seen too many young players burn out after seeing the bright lights of early success. Some can handle it, some players can't. From all accounts he's got great potential and I'm excited to see him in broncos colours this year, with all the rewards that brings.
I remember the likes of Carl Webb, The "coal train" and Julien O'neil being spoken about the same early. Hopefully the people that manage him do too.

Goals are great but making the run-on team should be his first priority. That will require a more consistent effort in defence and a lot more game time played. After that, the sky's the limit but work on what he needs to do to get that, then move onto origin games. For my money, every young player on the verge of 1st-grade selection sees rep football as part of their future whether they say it or not, and that's all to the good. The problem is when people buy into it and put unrealistic expectations on that same player because then it goes from the "next big thing" to a "yesterday's hero" situation.
There's every chance he can make it but if he's playing in QLD cup halfway through the year with Sua and Gillet or glenn carving it up, that doesn't mean he's not worth investing in. It just means he'll have to wait a little longer. On the other hand, if he does make it to first grade, it will be a case of building the same kind of consistency to make it to rep football.
I hope it takes a little longer than some people think because I've seen too many young players burn out after seeing the bright lights of early success. Some can handle it, some players can't. From all accounts he's got great potential and I'm excited to see him in broncos colours this year, with all the rewards that brings.
I remember the likes of Carl Webb, The "coal train" and Julien O'neil being spoken about the same early. Hopefully the people that manage him do too.

Nobody gives me the shits more than Dave Taylor. Should have been the greatest forward ever to have played the game with his ability, size and speed.

Nobody gives me the shits more than Dave Taylor. Should have been the greatest forward ever to have played the game with his ability, size and speed.
Vast space between the ears was his big drawback. You can have all the skill level in the world, you won't reach that next level if your brain voltage is low. Eg. Chris Walker, Blake Ferguson, Josh Dugan, Sam Tagatese and countless others.

Vast space between the ears was his big drawback. You can have all the skill level in the world, you won't reach that next level if your brain voltage is low. Eg. Chris Walker, Blake Ferguson, Josh Dugan, Sam Tagatese and countless others.
Huh? Aren't Dugan, Ferguson and Tagatese all premiership winners and state or country representatives? Do you mean next level like Lockyer, Langer, Lazarus, Daley, Johns,Thurston etc etc?. If you do you're a hard marker.

The epitome of unfulfilled potential
I agree 100 percent with that. When you think about his career he played origin and for Australia, it says a lot about what might have been.
I have never seen a more gifted player for someone his size. At 18 he was running over grown men consistently for length of the field tries in the qld cup. He had a short kicking game that was as good as any forward that has played and could throw a cut out pass. Add to that the pace he had in his early twenties. If he could have stepped you would just about throw him in the halves and I'm not even sure he didn't play a game or two there at souths.
To end up being sacked by a 2nd tier Super league club like the wolfpack is like watching someone flushing a wallet full of notes down the dunny.

I agree 100 percent with that. When you think about his career he played origin and for Australia, it says a lot about what might have been.
I have never seen a more gifted player for someone his size. At 18 he was running over grown men consistently for length of the field tries in the qld cup. He had a short kicking game that was as good as any forward that has played and could throw a cut out pass. Add to that the pace he had in his early twenties. If he could have stepped you would just about throw him in the halves and I'm not even sure he didn't play a game or two there at souths.
To end up being sacked by a 2nd tier Super league club like the wolfpack is like watching someone flushing a wallet full of notes down the dunny.

The Bernard Tomic of the league world unfortunately. I too remember watching one of his games for the Clydesdales and thinking how lucky the Broncs were to have him on their books. Even after that final season at the Broncs, he looked like he was starting to get there and would be a HUGE loss to the club. I remember feeling so upset he had signed for Souths. Totally wasted his talent.

Sadly outside his footy instinct, the guy just had a caveman brain. Leaving Brisbane was such a bad decision. Having said that, it’s unknown how badly he may have stuffed up with us, particularly with no Bennett (and Special K). Still may have gotten caught up with nose beers and go off the rails. Sliding doors.

Weirdly he played more games for both Souths and Titans than for us, but he still feels like one of our more prominent players from the post-title era. And his last year for us was 10 years ago this season at 21.

Last edited:
The Bernard Tomic of the league world unfortunately. I too remember watching one of his games for the Clydesdales and thinking how lucky the Broncs were to have him on their books. Even after that final season at the Broncs, he looked like he was starting to get there and would be a HUGE loss to the club. I remember feeling so upset he had signed for Souths. Totally wasted his talent.

I think Kyrgios is a better comparisson, assuming he never wakes the **** up. Tomic was never THAT talented IMO.

Active Now

• Aldo
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.