OFFICIAL David Fifita signs with the Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.

‘The most ridiculous offer in the history of Rugby League‘ - Rothfield.

When does the NRL step in and say this is fiscally irresponsible??

They're proposing to use the NRL's money (via the club grant) for a 20yr old on a 12 month deal, that could leave the club in a difficult position moving forward.

If the titans tear their cap apart to bring Fifita to the club and then surround him with spuds there's a good chance the onfield product becomes garbage and the titans get 50 put on them most weeks... that's to the detriment of the game.

On one hand the NRL can't be seen to be interfering with contract negotiations or favouring one side over the other, but there is precedent with the NRL refusing to register undervalued contracts.

When does the NRL step in and say this is fiscally irresponsible??

They're proposing to use the NRL's money (via the club grant) for a 20yr old on a 12 month deal, that could leave the club in a difficult position moving forward.

If the titans tear their cap apart to bring Fifita to the club and then surround him with spuds there's a good chance the onfield product becomes garbage and the titans get 50 put on them most weeks... that's to the detriment of the game.

On one hand the NRL can't be seen to be interfering with contract negotiations or favouring one side over the other, but there is precedent with the NRL refusing to register undervalued contracts.
As long as it was salary cap compliant then I don't see on what grounds the NRL could step in and knock it back for being overvalued. I think it's a ridiculous offer but I'd be absolutely opposed to the NRL arbitrarily determining that it was over or under valued and refusing to register it on that basis.

1. Niu (the next Lockyer)
2. Coates (the next Inglis)
3. Staggs (the next Berrigan)
4. Isaako (the next Folau / the current Maranta)
5. Farnworth (I've got nothing)
6. Milford (the next Barba)
7. Croft (the next Cronk)
8. Haas (the next Civoniceva)
9. Turpin (the next B.Berrigan)
10. TPJ (the next JT2)
11. Fifita (the next SBW)
12. Glenn (I've got nothing)
13. Carrigan (the next Parker)

14. Paix (the other next Cronk)
15. Flegler (the next S.Price)
16. Lodge (the next Webcke)
17. Oates (the next Miles)

18. Dearden (the next Langer)
19. Bullemor (the next GIllett)
20. Riki (the next Su'a)
21. Walsh (the next Hodges)

I mean...this side should be winning for (the next) ten years apparently.
Coach -Siebold (the next exit)

Opinions, like assholes, but not as sexy:

Phil Rothfield calls it the
“the most ridiculous offer in the history of rugby league:”

“I’ll tell you why it’s so ridiculous, because the moment he walks into Titans training in November, if he goes there, he’s on the open market. He can talk to other teams. How unsettling is that going to be?"

“What a stupid, dumb offer. Offer him $1.25m but make it over four years. You can’t have a situation where he’s going to come in, the highest-paid player and the face of your franchise, and he’s going to be wobbling about next year. And if the Broncos can sort their cap out he’ll probably go home (in 2022)."

“I’d withdraw that offer. It should have been, ‘Take it or leave it. Tell us in the next 24 hours’.”

Laurie Daley concurs:

“You can’t sign a guy on that type of money just for one year. If you’re making him the face of your franchise, and you’re offering him $1.25m for one year, you want him to stick around, you want to be confident that he’s going to stick around. I know he’s got some issues with his management but I couldn’t pay him that money just for one season. I’d have to know he’s coming for a few years, otherwise it is a massive risk.”

Luke Lewis calls it "absolutely crazy:"

“You can probably buy two back-rowers for half that price and still be able to go and buy a young kid coming through and take a little bit of a punt on a real young, raw talent. If they pay that kind of money to go to the Titans, I think they’re just shooting themselves in the foot.”

Commentator Andrew Moore:

“For one year I find that to be just dumb from the Gold Coast to maintain that offer,” Moore said. All of a sudden with him on $1.25m and (halfback) Ash Taylor on whatever he is, $1 million … that’s a fifth of your salary cap gone on two players.”

McHunt

Kahu on 400k this year :vom:

Milford may not regularly contribute much on the field, but at least he suits up and gets out there on game day, which is a lot more than can be said for Bird and Kahu - who we basically act as the worlds most expensive health fund for.
Bird is at least good when he's on the field. I'd much rather be paying 800k for a game-changer in those rare moments he plays than half that for a bloke in terminal decline who we sold off but then had to take back under warranty.

Bird is at least good when he's on the field. I'd much rather be paying 800k for a game-changer in those rare moments he plays than half that for a bloke in terminal decline who we sold off but then had to take back under warranty.
Yeah I doubt anyone would argue Kahu was worse. Both have been horrendous investments but Bird is the lesser of two evils.

There were reports yesterday that the 1.25mill from the titans may include all 3rd parties therefore he may not actually be taking 1.25mill of their cap, if he does sign.
I dare say the 750k Broncos offer doesn’t include 3rd parties.
I have no reason not to the believe the stupid figure of 1.25mill though as Tallis was on both Fox and Triple M over the weekend, and knowing his arrogance, if that $ wasn’t correct, I’m sure he would have come out and said that those figures were incorrect.

FWIW, I still think Fifita will stay.

I would argue that Fifita is not that marketable. The Broncos only had 350k worth of deals last year at arm's length, Titans had $18k. It's only about 2% of the cap value across the comp so the market just isn't that big. He's not relying on third parties to bump up that offer.

Five players make up 48% of third party cap free space, Fifita is not going to be up with them for marketability.

There is only 6 million out there and 2.7 of that not on the cap.

Managers are lazy, why chase a 200k deal with Nike when I can just squeeze 1.2 million out of the club. Fifita would be less likely to do any other work not more likely and won't be getting any of that 2.7 million. Maybe some on the cap stuff with the Titans if he becomes the face of the club but that will have to be declared.

I would argue that Fifita is not that marketable. The Broncos only had 350k worth of deals last year at arm's length, Titans had $18k. It's only about 2% of the cap value across the comp so the market just isn't that big. He's not relying on third parties to bump up that offer.

Five players make up 48% of third party cap free space, Fifita is not going to be up with them for marketability.

There is only 6 million out there and 2.7 of that not on the cap.

Managers are lazy, why chase a 200k deal with Nike when I can just squeeze 1.2 million out of the club. Fifita would be less likely to do any other work not more likely and won't be getting any of that 2.7 million. Maybe some on the cap stuff with the Titans if he becomes the face of the club but that will have to be declared.
Where do those figures come from out of curiosity? Wouldn't mind having a look how all the clubs stack up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Spike
  • Brotherdu
  • Pablo
  • Manofoneway
  • Bish
  • Mighty Bronx
  • marw
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.