-NEWS- David Fifita - Titans up offer to 1.25M

NRL Player
Roosters have Chrichton and Cordner as some of their highest paid players (Chrichton is on a mil too). The Broncos had Tallis as the highest paid player for a while too.
I dunno if he can be a leader like Tallis or Cordner, but he's a massive strike weapon.
Respectfully, i dont think he has the brains or personality on field be a modern day leader/captain. He can certainly use his talent and ability to inspire and set a standard if he chose.

BroncsFan

NRL Captain
Roosters have Chrichton and Cordner as some of their highest paid players (Chrichton is on a mil too). The Broncos had Tallis as the highest paid player for a while too.
I dunno if he can be a leader like Tallis or Cordner, but he's a massive strike weapon.
Fifita's attack is unquestioned, but I think his defence still requires a bit of work.

Cordner, Crichton and Tallis were/are impressive on both sides of the ball... Tallis especially used to lead the line and look to provide impact in defence.

I'd say Fifita still needs to learn that, but in saying that he is probably still learning the fundamentals of how to defend properly anyway.

It's difficult to be able to provide impact without knowing the fundamental of what you are doing in defence and what the opposition is doing in attack.... when he learns to read the game in defence he will likely be a weapon in that department as well.

Last edited:

Foordy

International Rep
Staff
the CM's latest on Fifita (from Honnery and Craddock) is that the Broncos are in the box seat to re-sign Fifita.

their reasoning is that Fifita doesn't want to sign a long term contract due to his management issues.

They say this will allow the Broncos to sort out their salary cap for a bigger offer down the track

they also say this will give Fifita the opportunity to assess the future of both the Broncos and Titans before making a call on his next contract

broncos4life

International Rep
Brisbane
the CM's latest on Fifita (from Honnery and Craddock) is that the Broncos are in the box seat to re-sign Fifita.

their reasoning is that Fifita doesn't want to sign a long term contract due to his management issues.

They say this will allow the Broncos to sort out their salary cap for a bigger offer down the track

they also say this will give Fifita the opportunity to assess the future of both the Broncos and Titans before making a call on his next contract
Hope this is true, would be the best outcome for both parties.

Would be nice if part of the assessment for him was what he owes the club, but silly me he owes us nothing...

Last edited:

Midean

QCup Player
NSW
Hope this is true, would be the best outcome for both parties.

Would be nice if part of the assessment for him was what he owes the club, but silly me he owes us nothing...
The more this drags on, and the more i hear, the more inclined i am to let him go.
He is an excellent footballer with a bright future, but i think our club needs less mercenary individuals for the foreseeable future.
Blokes who want to be there for the jersey and not the paycheck.
Blokes who want to to be here long term, and not decide on contracts based on how prospective clubs are doing on the field.
Let the Titans have him, other players will come through the system and hopefully we can build up a club culture where being a one team player and playing in the Broncos colours means more than the paycheck.
I am not saying pay them poorly either, give them decent wages, but if they haggle like this and make statements about deciding on their future based on things like current club performance, then move them on and good luck to them.
Would be great to have a team that wants to be here, to play for the Broncos through the good and bad times with the paycheck as a secondary motivator.

FFS a bit of loyalty would be great, this is what we lost when the older generation of players stopped being involved with the club.

Last edited:

McHunt

NRL Player
Sunshine Coast

Anything that wasn't covered here?

BroncsFan

NRL Captain
The more this drags on, and the more i hear, the more inclined i am to let him go.
He is an excellent footballer with a bright future, but i think our club needs less mercenary individuals for the foreseeable future.
Blokes who want to be there for the jersey and not the paycheck.
Blokes who want to to be here long term, and not decide on contracts based on how prospective clubs are doing on the field.
Let the Titans have him, other players will come through the system and hopefully we can build up a club culture where being a one team player and playing in the Broncos colours means more than the paycheck.
I am not saying pay them poorly either, give them decent wages, but if they haggle like this and make statements about deciding on their future based on things like current club performance, then move them on and good luck to them.
Would be great to have a team that wants to be here, to play for the Broncos through the good and bad times with the paycheck as a secondary motivator.

FFS a bit of loyalty would be great, this is what we lost when the older generation of players stopped being involved with the club.
Stop believing whatever the Courier Fail write.

There's been rumours that Fifita wants to sign a short term contract for months (it was raised well before Petey B regurgitated it last week).

If he doesn't want to pay his current manager much then delaying it means he gives up less and less commission.

The only words that have come out from Fifita has been that he wants to stay long term... and then his manager put a gag order on him

The NSWRL are just making up stories that our shit form will lead Fifita to look elsewhere. It's based on nothing... no one has said anything... and if he is looking elsewhere for success then why the **** would he look at the titans... he'd go to roosters, but he himself has already said that he doesn't like Sydney

Midean

QCup Player
NSW
Stop believing whatever the Courier Fail write.

There's been rumours that Fifita wants to sign a short term contract for months (it was raised well before Petey B regurgitated it last week).

If he doesn't want to pay his current manager much then delaying it means he gives up less and less commission.

The only words that have come out from Fifita has been that he wants to stay long term... and then his manager put a gag order on him

The NSWRL are just making up stories that our shit form will lead Fifita to look elsewhere. It's based on nothing... no one has said anything... and if he is looking elsewhere for success then why the **** would he look at the titans... he'd go to roosters, but he himself has already said that he doesn't like Sydney
I hope so mate, don't get me wrong i would love him to stay, but its hard to know what to believe when it comes to contracts and the press.

john1420

NRL Player
If Fifi wants to be well paid (not highest bidder well paid, but still handsomely rewarded) and have a reasonable shot at on field success, and stay in QLD, those criteria knock the Titans out of contention.

Jedhead

NRL Player
If Fifi wants to be well paid (not highest bidder well paid, but still handsomely rewarded) and have a reasonable shot at on field success, and stay in QLD, those criteria knock the Titans out of contention.
At present, on that criteria - it only leaves the Cowboys then.

Sproj

International Rep
Staff
so that's bellyaches plan ... relocate up here to trick Fifita and get his signature, then move back to Melbourne ... GENIUS
AND Fifita is a Bronco, so therefore not smart enough to realise he isn't in Brisbane when he does go to Melbourne.

kooly87

NRL Player
Man, I want Fifita to stay and Milford/Bird to fire but imagine the spending spree if we free up Fifita, Bird, Milford cash at the end of next year.
You also have Macca to add to that list off contract after next year too (possibly even this year)

Don't forget, both Boyd and probably Kahu are off the books after this season too which is the best part of a million bucks just in those two guys.

Brisbane should realistically be the most cashed up club in the game salary cap wise for 2022.

Last edited:

Mister Wright

NRL Captain
You also have Macca to add to that list off contract after next year too (possibly even this year)

Don't forget, both Boyd and probably Kahu are off the books after this season too which is the best part of a million bucks just in those two guys.

Brisbane should realistically be the most cashed up club in the game salary cap wise for 2022.
You're right. 2022 is a massive chance for us to go to market. We could re-sign Fifita for around $800K and still have close to $2M in reserve with Milford and Bird off the books and possible another $700K with Macca off the books. Whether Broncos' fans will wait that long though is another matter.

Foordy

International Rep
Staff
You're right. 2022 is a massive chance for us to go to market. We could re-sign Fifita for around $800K and still have close to $2M in reserve with Milford and Bird off the books and possible another $700K with Macca off the books. Whether Broncos' fans will wait that long though is another matter.
Simple answer is they won't (and i doubt the club will either)

the way things are going Seibs will be sacked before he gets a chance to rebuild this squad. He has had one hand tied behind his back with these expensive long term contracts (Boyd, Macca and to a lesser extent Bird and Milford) plus another wasted position in the top 30 (Kahu)

buy the end of the year he will ahve some breathing room and by the end of 2021 he'll have a war chest. perfectly set up for the incoming coach to succeed

K-Style

NRL Player
Imo he (and Haas) should be the highest priority to keep?
There are bunch of junk contracts to clear out before we push out Fifi. From top to bottom.

Mustafur

QCup Player
Shitney
I can see problems no doubt, but he is in the same situation as TPJ a few years back, he couldn't sign a contract till his contract with his old management is up, so this would happen even if we where playing good, but Given his reluctance to relocate for a Sydney Team I think the real threat is Titans, given he did all his schooling at Kebra it's not a location issue.

Let's be realistic, we have alot of dog crap coming off contract in the next year or Two with some of the best new talent in the game, our roster is elite long term and anyone can see that regardless of the coaching Sceniaro which will likely change soon.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.