NEWS David Wright: Broncos getting rough end of the pineapple

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
70's Test forward and commentator David Wright says non-Sydney teams are being shafted:

“Queensland teams, Melbourne and the Warriors seem to appear to get the rough end of the pineapple and it has been happening for years. They don’t seem to get the rub of the green. I watch all the games and it’s not about referee bashing. I got my referee’s ticket years ago to assist in my commentary and coaching roles and I think in general the referees do a tough job well.’’

X ray 17

Rough ends of pineapples: a slippery slope.

“I speak with a lot of people around rugby league and I really feel I am echoing the thoughts of many. There is inconsistency in rule interpretations that lead to many controversial calls. I compare that to when I commentated for more than 30 years in the Queensland Cup and I did not see anywhere near the number of controversial calls,’’ Wright reflected. There were some, but most times I could sit there and see the reason for the refereeing decisions. But today I see a lot of controversial calls.’’

In the Storm-Knights match, Melbourne: "had 42 slow play the balls, the Knights had only 27 slow play the balls, but the Knights got six advantages (through six again calls)."

Against Parramatta, the Eels were waved three, six-to-go calls in the first seven minutes, leading to two tries:

“Early infringements set a platform and allow good sides to create momentum which can lead to extended periods of domination. Possession is gold in the modern game. If you are a young side and don’t get the rub of the green, the flood gates can open. The Broncos have been penalised 34-9 in the last four games. You get penalised like that, and it is pretty hard to win. Some have been black and white penalties, but you have to say they are being hammered with discretionary penalties”.

He defended Cameron Smith for dobbing in a Knights' player:

“The reality was the bloke was a mile off-side. You hear players from all clubs calling out about forward passes, so all players do it (call out to refs about decisions). I reckon Cameron Smith cops undue criticism, similar to Wally Lewis because if you are not from Sydney, you are a target”. Also I’m mystified why there is such a dearth of Queensland referees at the top level. I don’t think a Queensland referee has refereed a State of Origin game in 20 odd years. Imagine if that was the other way around? I’m all for fast and furious footy but it must be fair. The interpretation of discretionary penalties must be consistent- please, no more rough end of the pineapple.’’

McHunt

Last edited:
My God... somebody better put a watch on this guy he may be targetted by a NSWRL hit squad for going against the grain.

I wait in bated breath for the Sydney journo rebuttal, which I anticipate will be well written, based on facts and entirely free of bias
😒😒

My God... somebody better put a watch on this guy he may be targetted by a NSWRL hit squad for going against the grain.

I wait in bated breath for the Sydney journo rebuttal, which I anticipate will be well written, based on facts and entirely free of bias
😒😒

It will be, they are absolute rogue scholars in their minds.

Man, I hope this guy gets some traction on this. In the past few weeks I (and many others) have written nearly the exact same thing, particularly about the Broncos. That penalty count doesn't even include the 6-again calls (and especially WHEN they are called). It's clear they want Parra there at the end. I'm predicting Roosters-Parra GF for 3-peat excitement and Eels going from 0 to Hero. Similar to the Raiders-Storm SF script of 2019. How many fans do the roosters have after 2 GFs? 20? That's doubled since 2018.

Last edited:
70's Test forward and commentator David Wright says non-Sydney teams are being shafted:

“Queensland teams, Melbourne and the Warriors seem to appear to get the rough end of the pineapple and it has been happening for years. They don’t seem to get the rub of the green. I watch all the games and it’s not about referee bashing. I got my referee’s ticket years ago to assist in my commentary and coaching roles and I think in general the referees do a tough job well.’’

View attachment 8252
Rough ends of pineapples: a slippery slope.

“I speak with a lot of people around rugby league and I really feel I am echoing the thoughts of many. There is inconsistency in rule interpretations that lead to many controversial calls. I compare that to when I commentated for more than 30 years in the Queensland Cup and I did not see anywhere near the number of controversial calls,’’ Wright reflected. There were some, but most times I could sit there and see the reason for the refereeing decisions. But today I see a lot of controversial calls.’’

In the Storm-Knights match, Melbourne: "had 42 slow play the balls, the Knights had only 27 slow play the balls, but the Knights got six advantages (through six again calls)."

Against Parramatta, the Eels were waved three, six-to-go calls in the first seven minutes, leading to two tries:

“Early infringements set a platform and allow good sides to create momentum which can lead to extended periods of domination. Possession is gold in the modern game. If you are a young side and don’t get the rub of the green, the flood gates can open. The Broncos have been penalised 34-9 in the last four games. You get penalised like that, and it is pretty hard to win. Some have been black and white penalties, but you have to say they are being hammered with discretionary penalties”.

He defended Cameron Smith for dobbing in a Knights' player:

“The reality was the bloke was a mile off-side. You hear players from all clubs calling out about forward passes, so all players do it (call out to refs about decisions). I reckon Cameron Smith cops undue criticism, similar to Wally Lewis because if you are not from Sydney, you are a target”. Also I’m mystified why there is such a dearth of Queensland referees at the top level. I don’t think a Queensland referee has refereed a State of Origin game in 20 odd years. Imagine if that was the other way around? I’m all for fast and furious footy but it must be fair. The interpretation of discretionary penalties must be consistent- please, no more rough end of the pineapple.’’

McHunt

Where did he say this? I couldn't find a link or reference to where the truth was published

Last edited:
I mean, he's 60% right. Cows and Melbourne mostly got preferential treatmen before this year though.
It was a smart play to include them though... Broncos cop the raw end of the pineapple, but we drag other teams in so it doesn't look like it's just us complaining... "bro everyone outside Shitney is getting shafted by the refs... amirite"

Cows had a couple dud calls 7 years ago so you know they'll jump in for a whinge

Last edited:
Now Annesley is comparing the Roosters-Eels game to Origin. Look forward to the "hottest game ever" as the GF. The rematch ugh. This isn't even subtle anymore.

Who is this legend?

Build him a statue.
Old schools norths devils guy from the era of proper tough bastards like bob bax, stan Napa, Greg Conescu, gillmiester Etc.

had a good media career and called broncos games for Chanel 10 on delay with David Fordham when I was a kid. great service to the Q cup too

by no means an idiot and proper guy.

Last edited:

Active Now

• GCBRONCO
  • Fitzy
  • Griffo
  • broncos4life
  • Strop
  • Aldo
  • Broncosgirl
  • Cavalo
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Sproj
  • ChewThePhatt
  • barker
  • johnny plath
  • Foordy
  • Tmac
  • Allo
  • BruiserMk1
  • bazza
  • Financeguy
... and 3 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.