• No. Worst.cricket.idea.ever.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Hamm.0

Hamm.0

NRL Captain
Mar 5, 2008
Ridiculous.

I can't se how it would work, it will destroy the second innings, as the moisture will be greater.

I don't even understand the reasoning behind it TBH. Are people really (except for the novelty of the first few Test’s) going to come to the cricket after work? I highly doubt it. They get decent crowds to ODI'S because of the spectacle of the game, same same 20/20. Not because the game is at night.

This is a ridiculous concept IMO. I was for 20/20, I'm for 4 day tests, starting earlier each day, I'm very opposed to day/night Test matches.

If it keeps people interested in tests (where interest is sadly waning) then why not try it. As long as they figure out the situation with the ball and how to keep a lighter coloured ball from fading. I would have been opposed to the idea a few years ago but if it means test cricket gets a shot in the arm it may need soon then I am keen to see it trialled.

NO NO NO NO NO... Test cricket is going really well in Australia compared to other test playing nations why would we want to change what we have. Cricket just won't be the same if test matches are played under light.

It just ain't cricket!!!

Against lesser nations which aren't big drawcards, why not? But the big tests against England, India and South Africa, it should stay day time.

Coxy said:
Against lesser nations which aren't big drawcards, why not? But the big tests against England, India and South Africa, it should stay day time.

Other nations can do it if they want but Australia will pull a crowd no matter who the opposition.

That's utter bullshit. Crowds for NZ were poor this year. Crowds for Bangladesh and Sri Lanka are always crap.

Test cricket will die a slow death if it's not reinvigorated. Day/night tests will help. Otherwise just scrap tests with all the minor nations and just let the big boys play it. Let the minor nations just play ODIs and Twenty20 Wankfests.

Why play tests if they are going to be played at night.. Should just play 20/20 all the time. Why not play cricket without a ball and no umpires and paint the pitch purple.

Tests don't draw crowds, but they still draw sponsership $$$$$. And I don't know for real, but I'd hazard at guessing the TV audience would be massive Australia wide. The very nature of a Test match makes it so as TV viewing is the best option.

I just think the team batting at night will have a distinct disadvantage.

It just ain't cricket IMO.. The fans have enough going there way with 20/20's and day night one dayer they can't destroy test cricket.

I agree - don't mess around with Test Cricket. They can do whatever they like with ODI and 20/20 but PLEASE respect the tradition of test cricket and leave it alone. Night sessions in test matches wouldn't be the same and seriously they are kidding if they think they are going to get people along to a test match after work.

Coxy said:
That's utter bullshit. Crowds for NZ were poor this year. Crowds for Bangladesh and Sri Lanka are always crap.

Test cricket will die a slow death if it's not reinvigorated. Day/night tests will help. Otherwise just scrap tests with all the minor nations and just let the big boys play it. Let the minor nations just play ODIs and Twenty20 Wankfests.

Yep.

A look the last two tests shows you why it needs invigorating. You've got 3 of the 5 days played on weekdays when people are at work (excluding Boxing Day). I mean days 1-3 of the Perth test were Wednesday-Friday during business hours. At least starting them in the afternoon gives people the chance to go along after work.

I love test cricket and would love things to stay as they are but it has to evolve if it wants to remain relevant.

Keep them as they are by all means, but why waste money on hosting them at 45,000 seat venues or bigger? Honestly, if you're going to have it played during the working week in business hours, save money by moving a test match from the Gabba to Allan Border Oval at Albion! A few thou can fit in there, and there's never more than that at a test match on Wednesday...

Are you suggesting changing venues mid match?

Coxy said:
Are you suggesting changing venues mid match?

Nah, keep them there fullstop. Plenty of venues that can hold 10,000 but no more which would be fine.

Put it this way, there's a test match starting on a Wednesday, not in the holiday period, at the Gabba.

Day 1 - Wednesday
Day 2 - Thursday
Day 3 - Friday

Now, there'd be generally only a couple of thousand there throughout those days. If the test is one-way traffic and could wrap up on the Saturday, how many people would turn up? Particularly if Australia was losing?

Then look at the difference in costs between the Gabba and Allan Border Oval. Much better atmosphere at AB when it's packed, too.

Honestly, it's like holding the Q-Cup final at Suncorp. 7k at that stadium has never been anywhere NEAR as good as a similar sized crowd at Dolphin Oval.

Agree Mick! I have been to a few matches at AB Oval and it's a great cricket ground and awesome atmosphere even though they haven't been major matches or anything. But they don't even play Shield matches there so can't see them moving test matches. (The domestic matches at the gabba are atrocious for atmosphere and enjoyment as there is pretty much no-one there and you can feel it). The biggest issues as I see it would be lack of food/drink facilities, lack of video screen, lack of places for sponsor signage around the ground. But I definitely think this is the way they need to go - smaller venues.

Flutterby said:
Agree Mick! I have been to a few matches at AB Oval and it's a great cricket ground and awesome atmosphere even though they haven't been major matches or anything. But they don't even play Shield matches there so can't see them moving test matches. (The domestic matches at the gabba are atrocious for atmosphere and enjoyment as there is pretty much no-one there and you can feel it). The biggest issues as I see it would be lack of food/drink facilities, lack of video screen, lack of places for sponsor signage around the ground. But I definitely think this is the way they need to go - smaller venues.

Oh totally agree that it will never happen. But IMO it really needs to.

Even the Boxing Day test match, played throughout a week when SO many have holidays, didn't draw crowds that were that fantastic aside from Boxing Day itself.

People say that so many attracted to Twenty20 and one dayers because they're a more entertaining form of cricket. However, I think many are also drawn away from tests because of the sheer fact that they're played during daylight hours on weekdays.

I'm not the biggest fan of cricket, but IMO Test Cricket is fantastic and just as interesting and entertaining as the other two. Twenty20 is like watching an episode of Family Guy - fun, lots of laughs and the result is known pretty quickly.

Test cricket is like watching a season of Oz. Drama, suspense, twists and turns and altogether more meaningful in the end.

Yep agree. Also confused about this Sydney Test. Would be better to start it on New Year's Day IMO as let's face it MOST people won't be heading back to work until Monday, starting the match yesterday would have given them 4 days of play when people weren't at work to either go to the game or watch it on tele, now they are only going to get the Sat and Sun. I know this wouldn't be the case every year depending on the day of the week 1 Jan falls, but this year would have been a no-brainer IMO. I think the Cricket Aust officials are thinking in the same 'no vision' space as the NRL/ARL.

Also agree about the drama, twists, turns etc of Test Matches, which is one of the reasons I don't want them moved to night time. Not really sure why but I think I would have a pretty empty feeling leaving a night time sporting event without it actually being over.

Not only it would the "night time event" not be over, but the innings would be totally different. Look how much difference there is between innings of ODI'd played day/night. Now imagine that for Test!!!

Bat at night= No f**king way!

And no matter the crowd count, Test matches have a great TV coverage. That's where the money is for Test matches. So like Mick said, throw them in smaller, intimate venues. Same TV coverage. Just the big games (Boxing Day) in big cricket grounds.

I don't know, but keep Tests in daylight.

I will bet people that if moved, they will eventually revert back. They will not be able to get around the fact that they are batting at night.

Unread

Active Now

• Wolfie
  • theshed
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Bucking Beads
  • Dash
  • Sproj
  • Fitzy
  • Mr Fourex
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Xzei
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.