Director of Football

Dazza 92

Dazza 92

NRL Player
Oct 13, 2014
Question; do we need one? What would he do? who is qualified to be approached? Good idea or bad idea?

Discuss.

Gus or Kevvie
No way in the world can they now appoint Kevvie to be Seibold's boss 12 months after they overlooked him for Seibold's job. The most important relationship at the club would be immediately untenable.

Honestly, any club recruiting for this type of role should probably have Gus at least on their shortlist but you just get the feeling that the Broncos would never be brave enough to make that call. Can't see him leaving Sydney either with all his other commitments.

Last edited:
Question; do we need one? What would he do? who is qualified to be approached? Good idea or bad idea?

Discuss.

A DoF only works when the coach understands that his job is to coach and manage the team - everything else is done by the DoF. That includes recruitment and so on. The DoF oversees the long term project/ethos of the club and implements a system wherein any of the parts are interchangeable - coach, assistants, development officers, scouts and players - can all be moved on/poached by others and the system remains true. All players understand what their role is, all coaches and staff are all consistently striving towards one goal and there's a common ground that everyone from the groundsmen to the ceo understands to a T.

So, given the coach is going to have very little responsibility outside of coaching, you can see why not many would sign up to this scenario as most want to be able to build their own roster. I think an approach like this is more likely to succeed when you've got an old boy in the role that understands the club and is willing to be part of that structure to help the club succeed, not themselves personally. When you've got that network in place, you can begin to rely and outsource responsibilities to others because you know everyone's going to get judged on their criteria solely.

Yeah he could give Boyd and Macca extensions too.
When Boyd was given that extension he was a Test and Origin player still largely at the peak of his powers.

I put it to you that with Bennett around, he'd likely have had the stones to pull Darius aside by now and give him the tap on the shoulder. He's done it with better players than Boyd in the past.

Last edited:
When Boyd was given that extension he was a Test and Origin player still largely at the peak of his powers.

I put it to you that with Bennett around, he'd likely have had the stones to pull Darius aside by now and give him the tap on the shoulder. He's done it with better players than Boyd in the past.

Wasn't he signed in the 17 offseason? He certainly wasn't any of those things then.

I think our first step is genuine assistant coaches.

What is Hook doing these days?
[automerge]1568601714[/automerge]

Last edited:
Brad Thorn would be a great option.

Edit: or maybe try and poach one of the higher ups from the All Blacks for the role. Possibly an ex coach of theirs.

Last edited:
In what way was he not an Origin and Test player in 2017?

He played a test, because the other guy was injured. He got picked for Origin because QLD picks it's mates, then he got moved when the good guy was bought back in, and it was quite clear at the end of it, that his rep career was over. So we signed him for 4 years.

He played a test, because the other guy was injured. He got picked for Origin because QLD picks it's mates, then he got moved when the good guy was bought back in, and it was quite clear at the end of it, that his rep career was over. So we signed him for 4 years.
I think that's stretching the truth a bit. He moved to Centre in Game 2 because that's where we needed to cover an injury. Sure Slater was coming back, but Slater was Queensland's Fullback for the best part of a decade and he was taking back the jersey that was always his and Boyd was really going back to an edge position where he's played virtually his whole Origin career.

Hindsight is always 20/20 but in 2017 I don't recall too many around here predicting that Darius would be a complete non-entity inside 2 seasons.

Last edited:
I think that's stretching the truth a bit. He moved to Centre in Game 2 because that's where we needed to cover an injury. Sure Slater was coming back, but Slater was Queensland's Fullback for the best part of a decade and he was taking back the jersey that was always his and Boyd was really going back to an edge position where he's played virtually his whole Origin career.

Hindsight is always 20/20 but in 2017 I don't recall too many around here predicting that Darius would be a complete non-entity inside 2 seasons.

Is it really stretching the truth when your positive is "He was moved to replace another injury". A guy who couldn't get picked on his own merits had to wait for injuries. Lucky him.

I think you'll also find there was no fans calling for him to be given a 4 year deal, and one of the higher wages being paid in the club. It was plainly obvious to see at the time of that signing, how stupid a long contract was, and it was discussed here as such too.

Active Now

• Broncorob
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.