Do Broncos deserve the spoon?

• Thread starter TevitaPaperbagJunior
  • Start date
I think with the right coaching the trust issues we have in defence can be solved in one off season, whilst we are definitely the worst team this year we have alot more quality players then a Bottom ladder team.

Thanks to @Mustafur for linking this in another thread:

I think this really speaks volumes, particularly:

"In terms of try causes, Croft (19 in 13 games) is the biggest contributor; only Kyle Feldt (22) and Reuben Garrick (20) have more this year.

Boyd (17 in 15 games), Farnworth (16 in 14), Milford (15 in 13), Staggs (13 in nine), Coates (12 in nine), Arthars (10 in five) and Tesi Niu (10 in six) have all hit double figures at a rate of more than one per game."

Any real suprise we're bagging out all of those players defensive efforts this year?

Penny for your thoughts @Huge ?

I'll throw my hat in the ring in anticipation of pennies, one of which might be that a bad defensive performance is always on someone else.

But having said that, those stats to me reveal the big issue for us is a shitty defensive structure on our edges, which goes a long way to explaining those break cause figures, largely confined to our players who defend on the edge.

Interestingly, those NRL stats also say "Only Waqa Blake (25) has more break causes than Farnworth, while North Queensland winger Kyle Feldt and Parramatta veteran Blake Ferguson are in equal second with Farnworth on 22 each." Blake and Ferguson (lol) both play for the Eels with one of the best defensive records. I don't think in Herbie's case it is simply a question of poor technique or lack of effort as it seems to suggest in our other players quoted.

Last edited:
The team that wins the least games deserves the wooden spoon. What sort of question is that lol

Do they hand it out randomly these days ?

Thanks to @Mustafur for linking this in another thread:

I think this really speaks volumes, particularly:

"In terms of try causes, Croft (19 in 13 games) is the biggest contributor; only Kyle Feldt (22) and Reuben Garrick (20) have more this year.

Boyd (17 in 15 games), Farnworth (16 in 14), Milford (15 in 13), Staggs (13 in nine), Coates (12 in nine), Arthars (10 in five) and Tesi Niu (10 in six) have all hit double figures at a rate of more than one per game."

Any real suprise we're bagging out all of those players defensive efforts this year?

Penny for your thoughts @Huge ?
I read the article and two things stand out. Firstly there is no mention that Boyd was playing centre for a large portion of season 2020 and secondly and all of the offenders were playing in their preferred positions.

It's no surprise that DBs stats aren't as good as last years and I'd like to see what his stats are in isolation, that is at centre and when at fullback. I feel sure there'd be a marked difference.

What is obvious from these stats is when blame is being apportioned DB is way down the list. These stats, like all stats only reveals a percentage of the information available. On this forum stats are discounted anytime they offer a flattering portrait of a favourite whipping boy yet when they are not flattering, and unreliable as in this case they are held aloft as conclusive evidence.

If the stats for DB are presented separately, that is for fullback and then for centre we might have a clearer picture.

Where's TPaperbagJ gone?! I was starting to enjoy his primary school level trolling. Mum must have cut his computer time. Wonder if he spends as much time on the greenhouse forum..

Where's TPaperbagJ gone?! I was starting to enjoy his primary school level trolling. Mum must have cut his computer time. Wonder if he spends as much time on the greenhouse forum..

Do we want to encourage posters like that to return?

Do we want to encourage posters like that to return?
When trolls are that bad and obvious I get a good laugh out of it. I don't think they realise how sad and childish they are to go to all the trouble of going on another teams forum, carpe diem Haha
I am here to talk footy though, a bit of laughter doesn't go astray though given our current form

We certainly deserve the wooden spoon. We are the worst team in the comp by a country mile.

Just trying to think if there has been a worse team in NRL history in the modern era. Isn't the points conceded on average a record?

Even when the knights had their season from hell they managed to turn up and play with heart. A lot of their losses were competitive. They didn't play for 10 mins then open the floodgates for 2/3rds of their games.

Last edited:
Just trying to think if there has been a worse team in NRL history in the modern era. Isn't the points conceded on average a record?

Even when the knights had their season from hell they managed to turn up and play with heart. A lot of their losses were competitive. They didn't play for 10 mins then open the floodgates for 2/3rds of their games.
There have been worse teams than this one, believe it or not. 1999 Wests Magpies, 2016 Newcastle Knights just to name a couple. Some of those Gold Coast Charger/Seagull teams were woeful as well. The Magpies surrendered 39 ppg during their final season. The Broncos are currently around 32.

The ladder doesn't show it but we are definitely the worst team this year. PD says it all.

If there's been no off field controversy at the dogs, yeah, we do deserve it.

[edit] Actually no, we deserve to win nothing.

Last edited:
There have been worse teams than this one, believe it or not. 1999 Wests Magpies, 2016 Newcastle Knights just to name a couple. Some of those Gold Coast Charger/Seagull teams were woeful as well. The Magpies surrendered 39 ppg during their final season. The Broncos are currently around 32.
Panthers might help us get closer to the record.

Cynicism aside, they are due a loss. If we play 80mins like we did in the first half of the Storm game, and they’re off their game, we could actually win.

Highly unlikely, but if I close one eye, put a blindfold on and squint, I can see a massive boil over !

The ladder doesn't show it but we are definitely the worst team this year. PD says it all.
Yep, the PD is not even close.
Screenshot 20200901 114519 Chrome

Panthers might help us get closer to the record.

Cynicism aside, they are due a loss. If we play 80mins like we did in the first half of the Storm game, and they’re off their game, we could actually win.

Highly unlikely, but if I close one eye, put a blindfold on and squint, I can see a massive boil over !
I agree that Penrith are due a loss but that won't come till the finals when they crash and burn. The only hope for the Broncos is round 20 when both teams are hanging out for Mad Monday (will that even be allowed this year?) and intensity and concentration levels are low making it anybody's game.

Unless it's a battle for the spoon which will then make it a blockbuster and probably still anyone's game for the taking. My bet is the Bronco's will avoid their maiden cellar dwelling end game position despite being far and away the worst team in the comp since the COVID break.

shouldnt the question be; Do the players care if they earn the wooden spoon?

Cause they dont......they couldnt give two *****....

In fact, when its confirmed, they will all go out to the pokies....

Active Now

• OnToSomething
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • Pablo
  • heartly87
  • Sproj
  • Griffo
  • Astro
  • Allo
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.