Do We Really Need Newscorp?

I bleed Maroon

I bleed Maroon

International Rep
Apr 17, 2013
I am really getting sick of this scum organization having their pie and eating it too when it comes to our club.

Majority ownership for 30 years, reaped the benefits of as many years of positive news off the sweat of our players brows and one of the most successful records of any club in the comp....

And yet, right now Fox Sports and the newspapers cannot shut up about everything that is supposedly "wrong" with us. We're going to finish 10th below the Knights because we recruited "quality not quantity", we've sold our morality off by giving Matt Lodge a lifeline, despite the fact about 10 other clubs would have been lining up to do the exact same thing (including the reigning premiers, no doubt) if we didn't. And people thought the scandals in the UK a couple of years back would humble Murdoch and his shitbag of a son.

Paul White, if by some miracle you're out there somewhere. It cannot be that difficult to sell the majority ownership of one of the most lucrative brands in Australian Sport to potential buyers. Cut this rotten umbilical cord loose and finally set us all free from the stench.

I'll never understand the fans who get offended by what's written in the media. We don't know them personally, they are as clairvoyant as we are and it doesn't affect our everyday lives. If some are picking us to finish tenth, then it's up to the Broncos to perform better than that. The players don't give a shit about what's published, nor should the supporters.

Brisbane captain Darius Boyd says lack of expectation in 2018 will help Broncos
5381ecf3fcfdad2e274f5371279ae163

GO on, write off the Broncos. That’s exactly what they want.
Most captains get defensive when asked about not having what it takes to challenge for a finals spot.
Not Darius Boyd — he welcomes the detractors.
In fact, the naysayers are doing his side a favour.
“I hope people write us off because it’ll make our job easier when it comes to actually going out there and playing a game without all the pressure,” Boyd told The Daily Telegraph.
“We got written off that we wouldn’t make the finals last year but then were one game away from the grand final.
“So I think while the pressure is probably on other teams ... we’re not getting pumped up as having a chance and that’s fine.”
MENINGA: Milf can solve Brisbane’s biggest issue
1b56f171ca29000a7bb3f1588d11eb67

Darius Boyd says the Broncos have proven their doubters wrong before. Pic Peter Wallis
Since that preliminary final loss to eventual premiers Melbourne last year, the Broncos have seen playmaker Ben Hunt, forward leader Adam Blair, Tautau Moga, Jai Arrow, and Herman Ese’ese leave the club.
Boyd does concede that on paper the Broncos will be fielding a weaker team than we’ve come to expect from a Brisbane side presided over by master coach Wayne Bennett.
But he says any questions about talent and depth are off the mark.
“I see where they are coming from, we’ve got an unknown squad and a young squad but I’m very excited with the group we’ve got,” he said.
“I’m really looking forward to playing behind the forward pack we’ve got and our backline with their attacking style and flair which is always exciting.”
One of Brisbane’s question marks is hanging over Corey Oates, who is eyeing a switch into the backrow in 2018.
The 23-year old started his NRL career on the flank but was always touted as a forward thanks to his towering frame — he stands at 192 centimetres and weighs in at 105 kilograms.
“He trialled really well in the backrow, he also had a bit of time on the wing and scored a try on the weekend,” Boyd said of Oates.
“He is probably our best winger but in saying that if he wants to play backrow then that’s probably a discussion he and Wayne [Bennett] have to have … whether he starts on the bench or if he starts on the wing.”
b43a4b20e98f64435cdd49e903afbcea

Anthony Milford during Broncos training.
Jonus Pearson is said to be the frontrunner in the battle take over from Oates on the left edge but he has some competition from Jamayne Isaako, who starred at fullback against the PNG Hunters on the weekend.
“Both of them are neck and neck to be honest,” Boyd said.
“Both have great ability and they both bring different things so that’s actually a tough decision, it’s probably a coin toss between the two of them right now.”
Boyd is expecting big things from playmaker Anthony Milford this year, who he believes is ready to stand up and take ownership of the side.
Milford has always been the creative cog in Brisbane’s attack but the departure of Hunt means he’ll team up with Kodi Nikorima in the halves. Without an established halfback it’s expected Milford will do more of the organising.
“He’s at that age now where it probably is his team now, with Ben Hunt gone,” he said.
“There’s Kodi [Nikorima] there too but he’s new to the role. It’s definitely up to Milf to take control and lead the team.”
Originally published as Boyd: I hope people write us off

What our skipper thinks of the rags.

Boyd does concede that on paper the Broncos will be fielding a weaker team than we’ve come to expect from a Brisbane side presided over by master coach Wayne Bennett.
But he says any questions about talent and depth are off the mark.
“I see where they are coming from, we’ve got an unknown squad and a young squad but I’m very excited with the group we’ve got,” he said.

Where exactly does he concede we are weaker?

Whether we need Newscorp or not is irrelevant ... we are a publicly listed company and Newscorp are the majority shareholder (with about 70% of the shares) ...

the only way to get rid of them is if THEY decide that they don't want to be the majority shareholder any more and decide to sell their shares ... fat fucking chance

John Singleton tried to up his 20% and buy them once and couldn't get them to sell.

Stick with Steve Mascord and Roy Masters.

Don't bother with anyone else involved in Rugby League media. It's all shit.

Half a rumour that the new chairman was appointed to oversee the sale of News Corp’s share since his business life has been in stock broking but it was quashed pretty quickly.

From a business perspective, News Corp’s stake in BBL isn’t really that lucrative. Yes the Broncos run a profit, but a company big enough to buy out News’ stake would want a much higher return on capital than BBL’s current dividend/distribution according to their financials. As it is News doesn’t really care because they have SFA to do with the club apart from appointing the Board and CEO.

Stick with Steve Mascord and Roy Masters.

Don't bother with anyone else involved in Rugby League media. It's all shit.
Mascord is the only journo who writes intelligently about rugby league and seems to want the best for the game. The opposite of Buzzard Rothfield. They’ve gotten into a few spats on twitter recently which is good fun.

The only guy who writes intelligently about the Broncos is @Big Pete tbh........COME BACK!!!!!!

I'm telling you. He was an experimental common-sense bot that went rogue, hid out on BHQ for a number of seasons and has now evolved past his electronic confinement.

c3d.gif

The only guy who writes intelligently about the Broncos is @Big Pete tbh........COME BACK!!!!!!

Hands down the best mod on any forum I've been on ever. He created such a warm, friendly atmosphere that made it easy for newcomers like myself to sign up back in the day. Hope he's well.

Masters is the bloke who said the Broncos were the next target for drug busts after Karmichael was first busted? **** that guy.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/br...t-in-drugs-investigation-20150224-13nj9w.html

That article clearly missed the mark. Give some of his more recent stuff a go. It's a bit depressing as it's hard to find any positives regarding the future of league. Check out this zinger from John Grant, who allowed Masters to reprint some email exchanges:

"The one deficiency I can see in the commission, which was impossible to overcome given the constraints in the constitution, was the lack of an understanding of 'how rugby league works', as it has often been described. It's interesting reflecting on this question – 'How has rugby league worked in the past'? I'm positive your understanding would be much deeper and potentially more optimistic than mine. But based on the more challenging aspects of my experience over six years, my answer to this is 'the battle for money and power; hating, not trusting; club first, game second; winning at all costs; unholy alliances based on favours and self-interest; and manipulating the media'. Sounds pretty negative, I know."

That's from the guy who ran the commission. The commission was meant to be above this sordidness not be balls deep in it.

Here's the full article: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/ar...als-commission-shortfall-20180216-h0w7zt.html

Active Now

• lynx000
  • Santa
  • Broncosgirl
  • Foordy
  • Rambstien
  • Slippin Jimmy
  • Reds2011
  • LittleDavey
  • Scdeac
  • bb_gun
  • sooticus
  • Dexter
  • Xzei
  • Big Del
  • HarryAllan7
  • Manofoneway
  • Justwin
  • Ozired
  • Broncs1459
... and 16 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.