VOTE Does it matter to you where a coach is from?

Does it matter to you where a coach is from?

• Yes

Votes: 5 9.1%
  • No

Votes: 50 90.9%
  • Depends - explain yourself

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
With all the commotion around Maguire, it takes me back to a conversation I had with my late grandfather from when Mal was appointed as Queensland coach.

At the time, there was talk around the idea of Graham Murray coaching Queensland. A lot of people were up in arms about someone from New South Wales coaching Queensland.

He used the Harry Potter books and the pure blood vs half blood argument to make his point. When it comes to Origin, I still disagree with his idea, just because of the history of origin and what it means.

But in terms of an NRL club, it doesn't really matter where the coach is from. The stupid idea that it does matter is outdated and from 1980's Origin, and how the Broncos used to be made up of half the Queensland team.

Hell, I don't think the Titans have ever had a Queenslander as their head coach since they came into the comp. And the Cowboys won't have had many Queenslanders as their head coach either.

I don't think the Titans have ever had a Queenslander as their head coach since they came into the comp. And the Cowboys won't have had many Queenslanders as their head coach either.

But NQ only won under Green (a Queenslander) and the Titans have almost always sucked, so not a great point in favour of a non-Qld coach.

But NQ only won under Green (a Queenslander) and the Titans have almost always sucked, so not a great point in favour of a non-Qld coach.
The jury is still out on how Wolfe, Hasler and Payten go though next season.

The Lions have never had a Queenslander coach them to a premiership, and Bellamy is from NSW. If he had succeeded Bennett we probably wouldn't be having this discussion.

No.

It's a ridiculous, petty standard. Get the best man for the job, I don't care if he's from Afghanistan.

I don't give a shit, but in this instance it will be the elephant in the room.

I hope the club have done their due diligence regarding the playing group before appointing Madge... and he himself will have to address the playing group immediately and get them all on the same page ... he will also have to get across that he's all in on them and where he wants to take them as a playing group.

If this doesn't happen then the players won't buy in and it may end up being a roster overhaul with some seriously shit seasons ahead.

Dog Shot Madge.....

That's how he'll be remembered.

Do we really want to be associated with his style of footy.

the Roosters, Panthers and Storm love that style ... and they've won almost every premiership for the last decade between them.

Personally I hate that you have to play that style to be successful, but until the NRL get off their asses and crack down on it (and stick to it). then you have to play that way or get left behind.

hell, with their changes to the MRC and Judiciary (given they made the penalties for foul play less and harder to get a suspension) ... it's made that style far more prevalent

Maybe we'll be extra lucky and Madge will bring Paul Gallen along for some squirrel grip training.

Absolutely to me it matters. Could you imagine say Sir Alex Ferguson managing Man City or Celtic with his background. Not a chance.

Apples and Oranges .
That kind of tribalism is in the rear view mirror down under .

All that smug "people in glass houses " bullshit he kept banging on about referring to some of the stuff Slater did at the storm when Billy was critical of the obvious attacks on Walsh in Origin. This was coming from the coach who was Billy Slaters coach at the Storm when he was grubbing it up. And he had the nerve to make a comment like he did.
Tactically it was a great move. He alpha’d Billy who was getting really cocky with his QLD hype.

I love your undying hate of all things nsw but Madge handled that perfectly

I’d give back half our origin wins for a broncos premiership. I don’t care where the coach is from as long as they win. Get the best person for the job whether they’re from red hill or North Korea.

Tactically it was a great move. He alpha’d Billy who was getting really cocky with his QLD hype.

I love your undying hate of all things nsw but Madge handled that perfectly
It was bennett like. The narrative became all about he and slater. It took all focus away from his players which i think he wanted.

Active Now

• Yellowfella
  • Justwin
  • bert_lifts
  • Painin the Haas
  • Allo
  • mrtij
  • ostin86
  • Manlyman
  • Skyblues87
  • Foordy
  • Bish
  • Battler
  • Alec
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.