NEWS Donut Day interview

Contrary to his name, our new 38-year-old CEO Dave Donaghy is neither doughy nor nutty:

“I’ve got some strong views on what it takes to build a successful club. I am aware of the expectations internally and externally. The Broncos are a huge brand and this is a big job. It is a huge honour to be CEO of the Broncos. There is no magic wand, but I have the energy for this job and I can’t wait to play my role in getting the Broncos back where they belong.”

“I want the people involved in our club, and that includes our players, to get something out of being a Bronco. I don’t mean just by performance and trophies. I want them to grow as people. I can’t be critical of the past because I wasn’t there, but we should want to be a club that focuses on off-field growth as much as on-field growth. If we are making better people, we will make better players.”

Bitter Broncos Storm feud lands in court

His name sounds like donut

“We need a plan. The board has asked me to go in with a fresh set of eyes and have a look at what’s unfolded. I need to spend the first period of time gathering as much information as I can, seeing what works and where the improvements lie in the organisation. There is not a simple sugar-fix to make us feel good for a short period of time. That can only hurt us in the long run. We need a long-term strategy. I am keen to develop a blueprint and a strategic plan with existing staff that delivers sustainable success to the Broncos.”

“Managing a roster in the NRL is a science. It’s one of the most important parts of your business and given the impact it can have on your business, the CEO needs to be involved. I’m not sure the last time the Broncos would have had money to spend in the market. We need to make sure we are recruiting the right culture pit and players that don’t just fit short term, but fit long term and then keep those players in Broncos colours for a long time to come. Our cap has been slightly out of shape previously, but there’s some money available, so we need to invest that wisely."

"I want to make sure Kevin Walters has everything he needs to be a successful head coach in the NRL. Kevin needs to be well supported and the football program must be well supported to compete with every team in the game. I want him to succeed and I want him to be a coach of the Broncos for a long time to come. He is one of the game’s great winners but he is also a first year NRL coach. By his own admission, he acknowledges he has a lot to learn and he is very keen and eager to do so. So we need to ensure we are putting the right support around Kevvie to give him every opportunity to succeed.”

ScreenCorey Parker lashes Gorden Tallis over cancelled Broncos old boys race day song and dan

Never meaning no harm

“The Old Boys can play a really positive role. I caught up with Barry and Steve recently and their philosophy in the mid-to-late 80s still rings true now. I have spoken to a number of other past players, including Chris Johns (Old Boys chairman). Any sort of angst or concern or disappointment is a sign they genuinely care. They love the footy club and we have to make sure the Old Boys feel welcome and part of the footy club because they helped build it. That’s an important connection we need to strengthen.”

“How I left the Storm was very public. It wasn’t ideal, but I will always be grateful for the support the Storm gave me in my first job as CEO of an NRL club. I’ve had a beer with ‘Trippy’. He was like a big brother to me. Sometimes families have a blue and this is probably what it was. Melbourne are the benchmark organisation on and off the field and for every other club, that gives us something to aspire to. But you can’t copy and paste what works at one club and walk it into another. The Broncos have their own great brand and history.”

“There is no reason why the Broncos can’t be the biggest, strongest and most successful sports club in Australia. I can’t sugarcoat where we are at but I want us to become the first NRL club with 50,000 members and reward our fans for their faith."

“I never had the privilege to be there as a player so the closest I could get was as an administrator."

“When the players achieve their end goal of winning a premiership and you see it on their faces and you see the joy on the faces of your fans and members and sponsors, there is no greater satisfaction. I would love to see that feeling at the Broncos. I am keen to play my part to get us back to where the Broncos belong.”

McHunt

He's injury prone, hot and cold in terms of form, poor defence, listen to his mic'd up with Sterlo very hesitant at times and a poor, poor communicator. Poise, nous and finese are all traits that he'd need to look up in a dictionary. Yes he can lay on a try, but it seems to be almost a one trick pony to a second-rower running and outside to inside line. If I'm investing the club's coffers in one guy I'm shitting bricks if it's him.

I don't really agree with much of that I have to say. If anything, the mic'd up part showed the opposite.

I don't really agree with much of that I have to say. If anything, the mic'd up part showed the opposite.
All good @Sproj. it takes all sorts to make a world. I can respect you have your own opinions - even if some of them are dangerously flawed :happy:.

He's injury prone, hot and cold in terms of form, poor defence, listen to his mic'd up with Sterlo very hesitant at times and a poor, poor communicator. Poise, nous and finese are all traits that he'd need to look up in a dictionary. Yes he can lay on a try, but it seems to be almost a one trick pony to a second-rower running and outside to inside line. If I'm investing the club's coffers in one guy I'm shitting bricks if it's him.

Not agreeing or disagreeing but just thought it was worth mentioning that Mic’d Up is about 7 years old.

Not agreeing or disagreeing but just thought it was worth mentioning that Mic’d Up is about 7 years old.
Would you say SJ has progressed or regressed since then?

leading try assist half last year...thats not by accident...

I'd be happy with SJ... Just my 2c... Obvs he's no Munster or Harry Grant, but he is still pretty radical

Donut calls his former club, the Titans and the Warriors "vultures:"

“My intent is to come in and work with the recruitment and retention team, I do have experience in that space. I’ve got a firm grasp on the salary cap, I understand how roster management works. There are also some challenges, and it’s not an excuse, some challenges in terms of our regulation and our governance among the game. There’s no reward for development."

“There’s the ability for vultures to swoop in and throw ridiculous amounts of money and steal your best talent. Do I have the answers? No I don’t. Is it something on the agenda for the NRL? Yes it will be. But certainly for me, I want to ensure the program is sophisticated enough that we are identifying those players at a younger age, and locking those players down.”

McHunt

Dave Donaghy taking over from Paul 'Old Gill' White is basically the opposite of a player taking over from Lockyer/Langer/Walters etc. Easiest shoes in the world to fill.

I love that straight away he is nailing the issue with r&r both at club level and development/poaching from within the club. Will be interesting to see if he can entice Coates to stay. Wouldn’t be surprised if he is in the 10 day cooling off period with the storm.

Donut calls his former club, the Titans and the Warriors "vultures:"

“My intent is to come in and work with the recruitment and retention team, I do have experience in that space. I’ve got a firm grasp on the salary cap, I understand how roster management works. There are also some challenges, and it’s not an excuse, some challenges in terms of our regulation and our governance among the game. There’s no reward for development."

“There’s the ability for vultures to swoop in and throw ridiculous amounts of money and steal your best talent. Do I have the answers? No I don’t. Is it something on the agenda for the NRL? Yes it will be. But certainly for me, I want to ensure the program is sophisticated enough that we are identifying those players at a younger age, and locking those players down.”

McHunt
As for vultures poaching our young talent. We can do the same you know. For example there are plenty of good youngsters, Tommy Turbos 2 younger brothers are 2 that spring to mind. Sam Walker is another. Saab is another.

Wish this guy had come in 3 yrs ago then we would never have gone through the Siebold disaster and would probably be top four and challenging for a title, instead that is another 2 yrs away minimum.

Donut is open to Bennett returning in some capacity:

I’m not sure what role would be suitable for Wayne, I’ve only just come into the job myself. But Wayne and the club will always be tied because of his achievements."

“I’ve never worked with Wayne, he’s obviously a great coach and I wasn’t here in days gone by (during Bennett’s sacking). I saw some comments about Wayne not having any interest in Brisbane as well, but rugby league is a funny game, who knows? Nothing surprises me. I’m sure deep down he loves the footy club.”

Which is interesting with Phil Murphy banging the drum:

“I would love to see Wayne come back, it would be enormous. The Broncos are at rock bottom and Wayne has a great history there. Is it not worth a crack bringing Wayne back to help the club out?"

“Look at what Wayne has done at Souths. The players love him and he is a proven winner. No other coach has succeeded at the Broncos like Wayne. The Broncos board clearly have an issue with Wayne but you shouldn’t let personalities interfere with what’s best for the club. The current board can’t fix the Broncos. Wayne Bennett can fix them.”

McHunt

Active Now

• Allo
  • Dash
  • Foordy
  • Fitzy
  • Culhwch
  • Strop
  • Fozz
  • Morkel
  • winslow_wong
  • theshed
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • broncos4life
  • Tim K
  • Lurker
  • HarryAllan7
  • Xzei
  • Battler
  • Bish
  • Griffo
... and 5 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.