Eligibility Issue

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
I know we talk about this every year, but i read about a weird anomaly i suppose is the best way to describe it, where Curtis Rona is eligible for Australia and NZ, but he is NOT eligible to play for either state in State of Origin.

yet these eligibility rules don't take a situation like his into account...

here is the article ...

HE is the NRL’s leading tryscorer, but Bulldogs flyer Curtis Rona is banned from playing State of Origin.On the eve of his return to face his former Cowboys teammates, Rona revealed he has had his dream of representing Queensland crushed by the NRL’s beefed-up eligibility laws.
Rona’s outstanding start at the Bulldogs, which has seen him score nine tries in eight games, prompted his management to inquire about his eligibility status with NRL authorities.

Incredibly, the 102kg winger is eligible for New Zealand or Australia, but cannot appear for NSW or the Maroons because of his 12-year residency in Western Australia.
He is believed to be the first player to be shut-out of the Origin arena _ less than two years after he represented the Queensland Residents during his tenure at the Cowboys.
“I would love to play State of Origin, but under the rules, I can’t do it,” Rona said ahead of tonight’s showdown against North Queensland.
“I’ve looked into my eligibility and basically the only teams I can represent are New Zealand or Australia.
“Because I lived most of my years in Perth, the new rules have bumped me out of Origin contention, but I could still play for Australia.
“It’s all a bit confusing. I was allowed to play for Queensland Residents, but unless they change the rules I can’t play Origin, so the only avenues are New Zealand or Australia.”
Rona’s conundrum is linked to his “gypsy background”. He was born in New Zealand, but moved to Perth with his family at age five and took up rugby league with Joondalup Giants.
Under the code’s old representative rules, Rona could have nominated his ‘state of election’ in his NRL playing contract. But the NRL overhauled the rules in 2012 with five key questions that toughened-up the qualification process for State of Origin.

Based on those questions, Rona, who was picked by the Junior Kiwis in 2012, is a ‘Sandgroper’ stuck in an interstate no-man’s land.
“I used to love Queensland when I was growing up,” he said.
“In Perth, I would stay up until midnight to watch the Origin games because they weren’t live over there.
“I would sit up in the lounge room and cheer for Queensland and I remember the 2006 series when they won.
“I lived in New South Wales for a few years (2010-12) when I played for the Roosters’ under-20s, but if I had a choice, I’d probably choose Queensland.”
The 22-year-old stunned the Cowboys by quitting the club last season, but insists he has no regrets.
“I never planned to leave, but it’s the best change I’ve ever made,” he said.
“If I was more reassured of a first-grade spot, I would have stayed, but I didn’t feel I would be a regular starter at the Cowboys.
“The Bulldogs have brought the best out of me. I was just expecting to get a spot in the team let alone being their top tryscorer."

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/nrl/bulldogs-curtis-rona-denied-maroons-state-of-origin-dream-because-of-transient-history/story-fniabn13-1227347397010

Well, QLD Residents isn't the same as QLD Origin...

I think it's fine.

He'd a product of WA with NZ heritage. Therefore eligible for Aus and NZ but not the two states he didn't develop in.

This quote from him is why he shouldn't play Origin:

If I had a choice, I’d probably choose Queensland.”

If you should be playing Origin, you know definitively what state you want to represent. Inglis never had any doubts what state he wanted to represent despite the cockroach bitching.

I think if you were going to make him eligible for either state, it would actually have to be NSW ... because he played NYC there for the Roosters, before moving to Nth QLD.

I'm not even really complaining about the ruling ... more so the weirdness of it, since it is appears he is actually the first player that is eligible to play for Australia that is not eligible to play origin

Last edited:
It's an anomoly, but his "State Of Origin" is closest to WA than any other state. So until they enter the SOO arena, sorry.

Maybe he should play for NSW, they had James McManus and the NT is in NSW apparently.

So he's eligible for Australia or New Zealand but not for SOO because he wasn't in either sate... I don't see the problem?

Well the pinnacle of every Aussie player is to play SOO. It's funny, the NRL have tried to make eligibility rules more clear yet you've got Korbin Sims who logically qualifies for NSW wantig to play for QLD and being eligible, yet a QLD born and raised player in Keary who wants to play for QLD the place of his birth beig ineligible to do so. Meanwhile, the NZ captain speaks with a perfect Aussie accent. A NZ born and raised prop plays for Australia and speaks with a perfect NZ accent. The NRL can't do anything correctly.

He's a Bulldogs player so stuff him.

Also he should by now, know which team he wants to play for, not say I’d probably choose Queensland.

He also said, I used to love Queensland when I was growing up. (what's this used to love shit) You either love them or don't)

Well the pinnacle of every Aussie player is to play SOO. It's funny, the NRL have tried to make eligibility rules more clear yet you've got Korbin Sims who logically qualifies for NSW wantig to play for QLD and being eligible, yet a QLD born and raised player in Keary who wants to play for QLD the place of his birth beig ineligible to do so. Meanwhile, the NZ captain speaks with a perfect Aussie accent. A NZ born and raised prop plays for Australia and speaks with a perfect NZ accent. The NRL can't do anything correctly.

The new eligibility rules were rushed and only brought in because of NSWs constant whinging

Seriously, there shouldn't be this much constant whinging about fucking eligibility rules. They need to stop listening to the moaning from whatever side of the fence.

Just change it. You were born in QLD? PLay for them. You played all your junior football in NSW though? Too fucking bad, you don't feel passion for the team you are eligible for, don't fucking play.

you don't feel passion for the team you are eligible for, don't fucking play.

These days they are more passionate about the pay increase they get for playing rep football.

If you didn't play your junior footy there, tough shit.

Seriously, there shouldn't be this much constant whinging about ****ing eligibility rules. They need to stop listening to the moaning from whatever side of the fence.

Just change it. You were born in QLD? PLay for them. You played all your junior football in NSW though? Too ****ing bad, you don't feel passion for the team you are eligible for, don't ****ing play.

So Peter Sterling would've played for Queensland then despite the fact he moved to Wagga when he was about 4 years old and played all of his junior and senior football in Wagga and was graded there?

So Peter Sterling would've played for Queensland then despite the fact he moved to Wagga when he was about 4 years old and played all of his junior and senior football in Wagga and was graded there?

Tough luck.

Well I'm only playing for NSW even though I moved to Qld when I was six months old. No thank you!

I think international players should be able to play SOO if they meet the current criteria. However there should be additional stipulations such as a minimum length of time spent playing juniors in the state so we don't just get a SBW who plays 1 year of jersey flegg and is eligible for a call up.

I shifted to Qld when I was 8 and i fucking hate NSW. Would I play for them if selected, no fucking way and if Keary believes he is a Qlder and then gets picked and plays for NSW then I won't have any respect for the dog at all

Active Now

• bert_lifts
  • jtupu17
  • Mustafur
  • Foordy
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.