Eligibility rules to change!

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
RUGBY league's controversial representative eligibility guidelines will be overhauled to ensure there is no repeat of Greg Inglis's dubious defection to Queensland.

The Courier-Mail can reveal key figures from the NRL, Queensland Rugby League, NSWRL and New Zealand RL have discussed introducing beefed-up eligibility rules to avert the selection saga that allowed NSW-born Inglis to represent the Maroons.

The revamped guidelines are expected to be in place before this year's State of Origin series.

Inglis's selection for Queensland in 2006 sparked fury south of the Tweed when it emerged the centre, raised in the NSW town of Kempsey, had played his first senior game for NSW school Hunter Sports High.

Under the proposed new rules, however, the days of another NRL star pulling off a similar representative defection will be over.

At present, a player's State of Origin status is determined by where he played his first senior game after the age of 16.
But the code's officials have discussed a more thorough assessment process, with a player's eligibility to also be determined by where he went to school, where he played his junior football and, particularly in international cases, his parents' heritage.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...-end-inglis-saga/story-e6frep5x-1226285601708

i hope this doesn't add more of a grey area ... personally i thought there was no grey area as it currently stands ... with the Inglis issue, its just that the QRL and NSWRL took his word of where he played his first senior game after he turned 16, if NSWRL had have spent 5 minute and checked it out (surely knowing where he grew up) then Inglis would be a blue right now. if was the Footy show that discovered it and now all NSW can do is cry about how they were robbed.

I think wanting to play for a team should be eligibility enough. You could have some poor kid growing up in NSW, but with an awesome QLD Dad who is passionate about QLD, which transfers onto his son. Now the son could play for NSW because he grew up there, or he could play for QLD and be passionate about it, which in turns would make for better games. The whole point of Origin is passion, it's what makes them the biggest games of the season.

Who the hell would play for the blues in that case?

Greg Inglis was just a square up for the Blues pinching Kenny Nagas in the mid 90's.

Admittedly GI has kicked on a bit more than Kenny did, but all is fair in Love & State Of Origin

Should've gone the other way. Make it choice, and allow Australian raised Kiwis to play for NZ and Origin

I think wanting to play for a team should be eligibility enough. You could have some poor kid growing up in NSW, but with an awesome QLD Dad who is passionate about QLD, which transfers onto his son. Now the son could play for NSW because he grew up there, or he could play for QLD and be passionate about it, which in turns would make for better games. The whole point of Origin is passion, it's what makes them the biggest games of the season.

Or perhaps a father son/rule. Since a lot of NRL is so Sydneycentric, plenty of QLDers have to live in NSW, thus their sons are raised in NSW. Could you imagine if Gordie, Fatty or Wendell had a son that was good enough to be an Origin rep and because they played their Junior footy in NSW were ineligible to play for QLD even if they wanted to? It would be OUTRAGE!

Should've gone the other way. Make it choice, and allow Australian raised Kiwis to play for NZ and Origin
Lol, Like Benji Marshall. I don't know how many times I've heard Gus say "geeze i wish this kid was eligible for Origin" when they're talking about the lack of halves combo's in NSW......I want to reach through the screen and yell GUS YOU MORON, if he wasn't affiliated with NZ he'd be a QLDer, hello Keebra Park High.

Or perhaps a father son/rule. Since a lot of NRL is so Sydneycentric, plenty of QLDers have to live in NSW, thus their sons are raised in NSW. Could you imagine if Gordie, Fatty or Wendell had a son that was good enough to be an Origin rep and because they played their Junior footy in NSW were ineligible to play for QLD even if they wanted to? It would be OUTRAGE!
It's either "outreageous" or "an outrage", get it right!
We have enough people torturing english on BHQ already...

Signed:
Ning's grammar nazi sidekick. :finger:

Have you missed the latest interwebs fad Porthoz? Go back to your rocking chair old manz.

Enlighten me, oh bundle of oestrogen.

So much hostility...

Before Nagas there was Steve Rogers.

And following Nagas there's been Craig Polla-Mounter and just recently Ryan James who actually played his first senior game at the Gold Coast but has declared his allegiance to NSW.

I'm glad they're addressing the eligibility rules, right now it's bit of a joke but I'm unsure if these new rules will be appreciated either.

What happens when you get a player who's moved from city to city so you get somebody who played their first junior game in Queensland, went to school in NSW, played his first senior game in Victoria and has Pommy parents? I suppose it just goes back to their original choice, but it makes the whole process feel redundant - like a draw after golden point.

Last edited:
At times NSW over#### about the elegibility. Yes Inglis and Folau are controversial but Sam Thiaday and several others are fine as they are QLD breed. Also Ken Nagas was very debatable at the time but i don't understand why QLD complain about Nagas becuase he onlu played 2 origins and both were off the bench.

i don't understand why QLD complain about Nagas becuase he onlu played 2 origins and both were off the bench.

They are complaining about the hypocrisy. NSW are no better when it comes to "poaching". Much like their rugby league team, NSW selectors just do an inferior job.

I also don't understand why the eligibility laws are so convoluted. Nobody ever plays SoO without playing NRL, so just ask them "Who do you want to play for?" when you register their contract with the NRL and that'll be it.

Also Ken Nagas was very debatable at the time but i don't understand why QLD complain about Nagas becuase he onlu played 2 origins and both were off the bench.

Ken Nagas has said he regretted choosing NSW.

Active Now

• ivanhungryjak
  • Fozz
  • matthewransom34@ic
  • marw
  • Jedhead
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.