Estimated $3 million spent by NSWRL for Ricky to topple QLD this year 2012

Yeah I understand all that. I just hate the impact money has on the players themselves. Afterall, without being cruel, the vast majority are dumb as dogshit. And you end up with douchebags like Dugan bitching at fans saying "you're not a pro footballer so STFU". Breeds arrogance and an inflated sense of importance.

It's not an NRL specific issue, it applies to all sportsmen and pop stars and movie stars. The arrogance manifests itself in a variety of ways...from over the top, holier than thou philanthropy (see Bono) to ridiculous personal self destruction in public (Charlie Sheen).

There's no solution to it. While the money's there it will breed this kind of shit.

But that's not the point anyway. My point is that grassroots is struggling. Has been struggling for decades. And that's where money should go. Every time Origin players bitch about wanting more money it turns me off. Ask for it, sure. But do it quietly. Not make it a public issue. Because me, your average fan with a mortgage, 2 kids, full time job doesn't particularly want to hear you begging for an extra $20000 for 2 hours work.

I'm not saying athletes or pop singers are more worthy people (vice versa), I'm simply saying they should be paid what they worth relative to their market. As you said, the money is there because the demand is there, simple economics... whether that is 'right' or 'wrong' or society is f**ked is another issue.

I don't care if a player is a douche or a good bloke, It has nothing to do with what their market value should be. NRL players as a whole are underpaid in terms of professional sport and for what the product is. It's meant to be the No. 1 winter sport in NSW and QLD and if that is the case the players are being paid under market value IMO.

I do get your point about grassroots though which was your original point and you did say getting paid 'overs' is the nature of professional sport but I don't think NRL players are being paid 'overs' is my argument. You've got the odd player on 500/600 who shouldn't be (aka Jennings) but seriously imagine how many players who are on 80-150K (fringe players) who will probably have 3-4 year careers on average (probably less)... that is just wrong.

So one hand they get paid what the market dictates and on the other hand they're underpaid?

Explain to me how that works.
I might be mistaken but I thought the freemarket works so if the players don't like what they get paid they go elsewhere to get their market value and that isn't happening so that means they are getting their market value?

So one hand they get paid what the market dictates and on the other hand they're underpaid?

Explain to me how that works.
I might be mistaken but I thought the freemarket works so if the players don't like what they get paid they go elsewhere to get their market value and that isn't happening so that means they are getting their market value?

Argument is that the salary cap artificially reduces their market value, which is absolutely true.

True but there's other RL competitions and other sports as well. I do agree the salary cap artificially caps their value but the best players still get paid very, very well. Sure they don't get millions per year like soccer players but there's a helluva lot of soccer leagues and a huge fan base so a salary cap wouldn't work anyway.

The best players get 500-900k a year sponsorships included, with just 2-3 years you could set yourself up for life financially. I do think the minimum pay sucks though, 55k is crap pay for the risks involved.

I actually think they should introduce a 100k minimum wage and have the 7-10 lowest paid players at the club excluded from the salary cap because a higher salary cap will just mean the top players get the increase.

True but there's other RL competitions and other sports as well. I do agree the salary cap artificially caps their value but the best players still get paid very, very well. Sure they don't get millions per year like soccer players but there's a helluva lot of soccer leagues and a huge fan base so a salary cap wouldn't work anyway.

The best players get 500-900k a year sponsorships included, with just 2-3 years you could set yourself up for life financially. I do think the minimum pay sucks though, 55k is crap pay for the risks involved.

I actually think they should introduce a 100k minimum wage and have the 7-10 lowest paid players at the club excluded from the salary cap because a higher salary cap will just mean the top players get the increase.

Sounds like a pretty simple / reasonable solution to me..

Active Now

• Strop
  • Fozz
  • Bish
  • eggstar10
  • Xzei
  • KeithustEndaf
  • Organix
  • GCBRONCO
  • Cavalo
  • theshed
  • broncsgoat
  • kman
  • Santa
  • Old Mate
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Broncorob
  • Johnny92
  • Brocko
  • Justwin
  • winslow_wong
... and 17 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.