Evidence of poor video ref decisions

Agree, Gordy was just being honest. One of the all time shittest decisions in Origin, to award that try.

We can also go back to King Wally getting sent off for 5 minutes for helping out a mate (the beer can incident lol!), Greg McCallum in 1990 game 2 giving NSW a crucial penalty in front of the sticks for Alfie "stealing the ball" when the attacker was clearly trying to break the tackle and run (in those days you could strip it with any number in the tackle that was the rule) - this was when the scores were even and it gave NSW the crucial late lead to wrap up the series - described by the King afterwards as "the bummest refereeing decision I've ever seen". Then Eddie Ward (allegedly a Qlder LOL!) ruling Willie Carne offside in 1993 when he was CLEARLY ONSIDE to score in the 1st 5 minutes of a game Qld completely dominated and then lost by a few points - again allowing the Blues to go to a 2-0 lead, we should have won that series too. Ironically that would have been an easy decision for a video ref to get right, had we had them back then. In that famous 1991 Lewis/Geyer half time sh!tfight game people also forget why Wal was so ropable, the karate chop to the neck of Steve Walters, and they probably also don't remember the many brawls that erupted in the 2nd half that all came from Geyer throwing swinging arms, king hits, basically the kitchen sink at any Qld player within reach. He could (and should) have been sent off at least 3 or 4 times in that match but you don't get sent off in Origin, unless you're a Queenslander that is, eh Gordy? He got 5 weeks afterwards at the judiciary for a cheap shot in the 2nd half and rightly so, and Graham Lowe's "lunatic" label at full time was apt.

I contrast, I've never seen Qld get the benefit of such howlers. They love to keep the Blues in the game and make them seem more competitive.

Bucking Beads said:
Cmon people NSW do it every yeat, they get given tries to make it look like they were competitive. Harrigan is the master of cheating and giving the blues a helping hand. Then we get to watch pathetic NSW fans jusify how they were actually a fair try.

It works for me. As long as they think they are competitive, they'll keep picking nuffies like White, Perry, Creagh etc. and QLD will keep on winning.

Alec said:
Bucking Beads said:
Cmon people NSW do it every yeat, they get given tries to make it look like they were competitive. Harrigan is the master of cheating and giving the blues a helping hand. Then we get to watch pathetic NSW fans jusify how they were actually a fair try.

It works for me. As long as they think they are competitive, they'll keep picking nuffies like White, Perry, Creagh etc. and QLD will keep on winning.

I think Phil Gould summed it up last year quite nicely: "The referees need to stop giving NSW the benefit of the doubt. All it does is make QLD more fired up, and nobody likes facing 13 angry Queenslanders!"

Game 2 last year.

Tonga throws a ball backwards, ball rolls past Lockyer and finds Harrison who goes over. Decision: No try.

O'Donnell makes half a break down the left hand side. As he gets up to play the ball he holds onto Folau and squeezes him in tight while Hayne falls over the line. Decision: Try

Billy Slater loses the ball, falls into the arms of David Williams who loses control of the ball while in the act of scoring. By planting it down a second time, gave away the fact he lost it the first. Decision: 8 point try.

Yet the Blues fans were crying when Hayne clearly put his foot out. I generally admire Sterlo, but his behaviour for that try was truly unprofessional.

It went something like...

'Brilliant try by Hayne! NSW infront...'
'I've got no problem with that'
*Foot clearly on the line*
'Well the video refs have done it, they've turned a game of Rugby League boring with the amount of replays'

The Rock said:
Ghibli said:
Did the ball go backwards Rock?

It did go backwards. The problem with that distorted image is that you're not viewing it from your seat on the sideline, you're viewing it from a camera where there are about 1000 lens adjustments and god knows what else in order to convey the footage to the viewers in the best possible way. The reason why they don't rule on forward passes is because the camera angle, despite looking like it's right in line, is actually quite deceiving.

Looking at that pic, Run a line like was done from the ball using the bloke in the crowd in the white shirt. he is sitting next to the aisle the whole time. Doing that i agree with Rocky.

Sorry guys but the frames are not straight.

Active Now

• Astro
  • Johnny92
  • Skathen
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.