Evidence of poor video ref decisions

Ghibli

Ghibli

QCup Player
Mar 5, 2008
Hi Peeps,

I thought that I would post some of my thoughts around the poor decisions from the 1st Origin. I'll do a different one every day, and get some discussion around it (Thanks to Nashy for his sooper dooper uploader)

First is the Watmough try off the Waterhouse contest for a bomb about mid 2nd half. I've lined the images all up so the references are all in line, there any movement is gauge against the reference points, I've cropped the images so you don't have to view all of the crooked edges from matching up the lines or reference. Then I drew a line through the path of the ball.
1274989053.jpg

Yes, I have a lot of time on my hands, baby isn't sleeping well, and I can't get back to sleep :evil:

Thoughts???

Beautifully illustrated there Ghibli and again I have to ask the question, why didn't the video ref ask for the side on angle here? A front on angle tells nothing when looking at a knock on, the side on angle gave the perfect view. Were they looking for a way to keep NSW in the game?

Yep agree, very questionable why the side angle wasn't requested. As I said to a NSW supporter today, "...did the ball go backwards?" and he said "Well, it didn't go forwards", to which I reply "Answer my question, did the ball go backwards?" and he said "No", well as I proceeded to walk away I concluded "Then it's a knock-on".

The Rock said:
ROFLZ!

This is the exact reason why they don't rule on forward passes - Because of what you illustrated above.
And are you also saying the video ref shouldn't rule on knock-ons from now on?

If you watch that angle again and slow it down, I am slowing it down to 0.12x using VLC media player. Look at where Lockyer is in when they contest the ball. The ball lands where he was in the contest. Seeing as the Blues player was infront of him when contesting the ball, it did go backwards. It isn't the biggest movement of going backwards, but it still does.

Also I don't think you should freeze frame images and then alter them. As that will then alter the eye of the camera and change the angle. Due to this the reference line is not a true indication of what the camera sees as you have moved the camera forward or backwards when the camera was doing that itself.

To some up that gibberish, you need to view it slowly and not freeze it, as it will not give you a true indication of what happens IMO ofcourse.

You have all overlooked rule 3.1 of SoO

Rule 3.1 At the descretion of the referrees NSW are allowed up to 2 knockons in the lead up to any play producing a try.

Its been there since SoO first started. They used it for the Creagh try as well.

Harrigon was video ref wasn't he ?

Enough said

Cmon people NSW do it every yeat, they get given tries to make it look like they were competitive. Harrigan is the master of cheating and giving the blues a helping hand. Then we get to watch pathetic NSW fans jusify how they were actually a fair try.

At the very least, I think it should have been ruled benefit of the doubt. I reckon it was a close call. In my opinion it was a knock on, but was so questionable, I would have been happy for it to be ruled a benefit of the doubt try to NSW.

In my opinion, this was one of the worst ref'd games I've ever seen

To be fair, it was such a close call if it was the other way around I would have been dirty if they took it off Qld.

Does anyone remember that Hodgson knock on back in 2006? I could not believe my eyes when they awarded that try.

Dexter is right, they always have to do NSW some favours.

Or Lockyer's no try in a game a cannot remember the year? Or Tallis getting sent off after 3 clear knock on's in the lead up to NSW's go ahead try.

The Brizz said:
Or Lockyer's no try in a game a cannot remember the year?

2002. Game 3. Ruled to have dropped it. In current rules, because there was no "separation" it would've been a try no matter what. Bah!

Or Tallis getting sent off after 3 clear knock on's in the lead up to NSW's go ahead try.

Admittedly you can't tell a referee he's an f'in cheat.

Active Now

• Financeguy
  • Aldo
  • Galah
  • Foordy
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Organix
  • Fozz
  • Harry Sack
  • Nerd
  • Battler
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Browny
  • Brocko
  • Mr Fourex
  • Tim K
  • Allo
  • Wolfie
  • Rambstien
  • winslow_wong
  • broncos4life
... and 28 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.