Ex-Broncos Players Discussion

Mr Fourex

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Apr 9, 2012
Aside from turning our fitness around (an issue I still feel he contributed to) I think sacking Thaiday as captain is one of the best decisions he's made ever as a head coach. It's had a tremendous affect. McCullough is also much improved -- he seems to be thriving playing the full 80mins -- ditto with Ben Hunt.

Griffin has the team playing much better than I thought he could, but I'll still need to see more before I want him to coach us beyond this year.

Sacking Peter Wallace was also one of Griffin's better ideas.

I know we're still warming up and struggling with a few things out there, but geez... we look a lot more promising without the red headed numpty running around derping things up.

Re: Sack Griffin/New Coach Discussion

As opposed to Hoffman running around and literally doing nothing. I can't be arsed but I'd like to see Wal's try assists, kick meters etc etc to Hoffman's.

As opposed to Hoffman running around and literally doing nothing. I can't be arsed but I'd like to see Wal's try assists, kick meters etc etc to Hoffman's.
Yeah but everyone expected Wallace to deliver( which he didn't) and younger players stood back and waited. Now they're forced to act and there is no real game breaking expectations on Hoffman.

As if Hoffman does nothing though. He defends great and still runs the ball really well. He draws defenders in and when he learns to pass we will have a lot of overlaps. I wonder if Wallaces try assists and running meters would be a lot better than someone who has played 4 games in the halves...

:laugh: .......'sif you can compare them!!

Then again, Wallace's stat's compared to a winger or fullback....?

might be interesting.

Go on old mate ....be arsed!!

:laugh:

As if Hoffman does nothing though. He defends great and still runs the ball really well. He draws defenders in and when he learns to pass we will have a lot of overlaps. I wonder if Wallaces try assists and running meters would be a lot better than someone who has played 4 games in the halves...
How long has he played fullback and struggled with playmaking? I doubt he'll ever get it, except for flunking a pass once every 5 games.

:laugh: .......'sif you can compare them!!

Then again, Wallace's stat's compared to a winger or fullback....?

might be interesting.

Go on old mate ....be arsed!!

:laugh:
I'm comparing Wallace to a Broncos 5/8, one who you seem to think is an improvement.

I'm comparing Wallace to a Broncos 5/8, one who you seem to think is an improvement.

If you can't see the improvement already, you're blind.

Wallace lost his spot in the team to Ben Hunt because he wasn't helping the team score points. Hoffman has set up a try from a grubber and put up that huge, floating bomb that Minichiello dropped and the commentators would have "put money on him catching that one".

I can see this being a point of interest for some, so in the future, let's endeavour to keep the discussion in here from now on.

I don't regret the Broncos decision to release Wallace. I wish we had have signed a free agent in the interim because Hoffman is clearly a stop gap, but Wallace's time was up, he had become too complacent in his own structures and I can see Fourex's point that his play can be stifling to his partners.

He hasn't played too poorly for Penrith when he has been on the field, but he's yet to really make me miss him. From what I saw of his first two performances, he had a bit more of a hands on role, spending a little bit more time out of dummy half but when it came to general play he was still fairly impotent.

Wallace was terrible, but he is god compared to Hoffman in the halves (who literally doesn't play as a half). We are really lucky that our forwards are playing out of their skins right now. It was the same in early 2012, and I'm sure people would agree that Wallace was in career best form then, and some were even excited about Norman.

I hope Kahu or Strasser are brought into the side in the near future, because this season might actually not be a write off, so we should be looking to build as a side, not get left behind.

If you can't see the improvement already, you're blind.
We've improved because of Hunt, we haven't improved at 5/8 due to Hoffman, Wal would've been a better option there for this year.

We've improved because of Hunt, we haven't improved at 5/8 due to Hoffman, Wal would've been a better option there for this year.

We are winning games now and we weren't when Wallace was in charge. We are doing better without his low "bombs" to the oppositions wingers. Whilst Hoffmans kicking meters aren't great (That we know of), how are his running meters? There are positives. Hoffman looks like breaking the defense when he runs too. He is doing fine.

We are winning games now and we weren't when Wallace was in charge. We are doing better without his low "bombs" to the oppositions wingers. Whilst Hoffmans kicking meters aren't great (That we know of), how are his running meters? There are positives. Hoffman looks like breaking the defense when he runs too. He is doing fine.
We also have a fullback with half a brain now and Macca finally being allowed to play the full eighty, Thaiday not playing as captain, Maranta pulling his finger out.

I'd like to see Wallace with these things at his disposal.

Last edited:

We also have a fullback with half a brain now and Macca finally being allowed to play the full eighty, Thaiday not playing as captain, Maranta pulling his finger out.

Id if like to see Wallace with these things at his disposal.

Maybe it was the fact that Wallace was let go that showed these guys that if they don't step up they will be let go too? If we didn't let Wallace go maybe we'd be stuck in the same rut we were in last year. Too many variables. He failed, he was let go.

Having someone who can actually take some playmaking pressure of Hunt, providing another kicking option so Ben isn't ganged up on all the time etc etc would only do him the world of good also.

Maybe it was the fact that Wallace was let go that showed these guys that if they don't step up they will be let go too? If we didn't let Wallace go maybe we'd be stuck in the same rut we were in last year. Too many variables. He failed, he was let go.
Hell, it doesn't even have to be Wallace, if we kept Prince for one more year we are infinitely better as well. Hoffman's contribution is pretty poor in the grand scheme of things.

Having someone who can actually take some playmaking pressure of Hunt, providing another kicking option so Ben isn't ganged up on all the time etc etc would only do him the world of good also.

Yeah I said this ages ago and since then McCullough and Barba have done so. And so has Hoffman.

Does anyone know what Brett Seymour is doing? I know he had some issues and was let go by his Super League team but maybe if he still wanted to have a run for a QCup team or even below that, we could have a look at that.

Active Now

• Xzei
  • Porthoz
  • Dash
  • Jedhead
  • FACTHUNT
  • theshed
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Broncosgirl
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.