Expansion of the NRL

I think a PNG team in the Q Cup is a must. The NRL / ARL / QRL / ATFLs need to help develop them.

Note: ATFLs = All The F'in Leagues

Is png a serious option though? I mean does anyone over there have enough money to sustain a team, and no offence, but some of the stuff you read out of there.. jesus how they would react to some of the inevitable controversies league generates? I don't know... I happily stand to be corrected but, don't know a lot about PNG.

Personaly l think a team in the Ipswich/Toowoomba/Logan area and a Perth team should be priorities. Sharks can relocate to Adelaide and The bunnies or roosters to Gosford or whoever goes broke in Sydney next.

Brisbane can't sustain any more teams. So all 3 options shoudl never be on the cards IMO.

Nashy said:
Brisbane can't sustain any more teams.

I can't say I agree. It's a growing area, and not everyone supports the broncos. the crushers got about 20k when they first started and given they had a crap team and a crap name with imo no real geographic identity to distinguish themselves from the Broncos, that isn't too bad.

And they did so well.

Adding more teams to Brisbane is no different to the amount of teams in Sydney. We don't have a big enough population to support so many teams.

The Titans and Cowboys have a big reach here. Dragons have a huge supporter base here for whatever reason, and the rest of QLD North support either the Broncos or the Cowboys.

I don't think a QLD team will work, ever.

No, they did terrible on the field. So did the gold Coast remember? If they can average 20 odd k, which I am confident they would, then it is a good move.

No one is advocating another 4 or 5 teams, just one. Brisbane/Logan/Towoomba/Ipswich can support two teams.

Another team in Brisbane will only hurt the Broncos. Expansion shouldn't be about sacrificing other teams to give the people more options.

The NRL need to expand into an area that has no football.

If the NRL puts a team in Logan or Toowomba, all those people that usually make the trek to Suncorp don't need to, they have their own local team.

It doesn't matter how many people hate the Broncos in this city, that trend is slowing with the younger generation of fans.

Sydney's problem is the lack of crowds. Brisbane pulls massive crowds no matter what is going on in Brisbane. Why sacrifice that?

PNG will NEVER have a team inthe NRL. Period. Besides trying to get mining giants to constantly pour millions of dollars into it, how is it going to survive? Also, which players are going to want to base themselves (and families) out of Port Moresby? Can you spell s-a-f-e-r-o-o-m? Unless they were granted some form of clemency in regards to salary caps on players, nobody would go there.

Second NZ team option; we all know that NZ is a MASSIVE Union country. However expanding a second team there doesn't mean the NRL have to compete directly with Super 14/NPC. The more League there, the more borderline-NPC players will realise the potential to earn coin playing League. Obviously, the NRL would actually have to drop $$$$ in the area and on the club, but Union or not (and of course you would stay North Island), a second team would have a better chance of surviving there then in Adelaide/Melbourne/etc.

As for Perth, I think the NRL has nearly missed the boat. If the short sighted dickheads that are the ARL, hadn't of cut the Reds way bak when, the Force would more than likly not exist and all tose crowds would be attending NRL fixtures. Cracking Perth now, even though there is a decent hardcore League support base, would be incredibly hard.

Whichever code; AFL/A League/NRL, spends the $$ and time on Darwin first, will haveit forever. The sheer quantity of youth that could grow with the sport is mind boggling.

I was going to mention Darwin. It's set to be an absolute boom town - if it isn't already - and they would go mad for their own league team. However, it's pretty hot up there all year round and it's a long way for teams to travel.

NSW central Coast > Central Qld > Darwin > Perth > more SEQ teams

Hammoz said:
PNG will NEVER have a team inthe NRL. Period. Besides trying to get mining giants to constantly pour millions of dollars into it, how is it going to survive? Also, which players are going to want to base themselves (and families) out of Port Moresby? Can you spell s-a-f-e-r-o-o-m? Unless they were granted some form of clemency in regards to salary caps on players, nobody would go there.

Second NZ team option; we all know that NZ is a MASSIVE Union country. However expanding a second team there doesn't mean the NRL have to compete directly with Super 14/NPC. The more League there, the more borderline-NPC players will realise the potential to earn coin playing League. Obviously, the NRL would actually have to drop $$$$ in the area and on the club, but Union or not (and of course you would stay North Island), a second team would have a better chance of surviving there then in Adelaide/Melbourne/etc.

It's not all about getting players. That's the easy part (while it would still be hard). Getting fans to attend games, and support a Rugby League team would be near impossible anywhere south of Auckland.

I always thought Darwin would be a good move, but I was always told the pop was too small.

Meh, I don't know. The good thing about places such as Adelaide and Darwin is I think they would be more amenable to a relocation of a Sydney team.

I don't buy the "Darwin is too humid" or the "too far to travel" reasons which have been mentioned (not just by you guys but also other people I have discussed this with in the past icon_thumbs_u ).

The reasons being; AFL/ Union/ League/ Soccer and organised PT is all conducted in Darwin now, albeit not at an elite level. Also, how is it further to travel to Darwin, than to travel to Perth?

What's organised PT?

But yeah, distance and humidity aren't issues at all. My concerns are, as stated, financial and demographic viability.

gUt said:
I was going to mention Darwin. It's set to be an absolute boom town - if it isn't already - and they would go mad for their own league team. However, it's pretty hot up there all year round and it's a long way for teams to travel.

NSW central Coast > Central Qld > Darwin > Perth > more SEQ teams

No hotter than Townsville, and yes it may be a little more to travel, but not much more than NZ.

Active Now

• Santa
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Financeguy
  • Galah
  • GCBRONCO
  • Brocko
  • BroncosAlways
  • The Strapper
  • Thelmus
  • Foordy
  • Justwin
  • Johnny92
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Lostboy
... and 3 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.