Favourite Super Bowl

Clintos

Clintos

State of Origin Rep
Apr 8, 2008
I'm currently watching my Super Bowl collection and I want to know what everyone's favourite Super Bowl is.

Mine has to be Super Bowl 36. Patriots V Rams.

Their Rams' offense was nicknamed, "The Greatest Show on Turf," and was widely considered one of the best in NFL history. 2x Super Bowl MVP Kurt Warner was awarded the NFL Most Valuable Player Award after throwing for 4,830 yards and 36 touchdowns, with 22 interceptions, and earning a league high 101.4 passer rating. Wide receivers Torry Holt and Isaac Bruce each amassed over 1,100 receiving yards, combining for 142 receptions, 2,469 yards, and 13 touchdowns.

Lets not forget running back Marshall Faulk, who won NFL Offensive Player of the Year Award for the third year in a row. He rushed for 1,382 yards, caught 83 passes for 765 yards, scored 21 touchdowns, and became the first NFL player ever to gain more than 2,000 combined rushing and receiving yards for 4 consecutive seasons

I guess what I'm driving at here is that the Patriots were massive underdogs.

The Patriots story is very different. Before the season even started, quarterbacks coach Dick Rehbein died of a heart attack. We lost our first two games, and in second loss, starting quarterback Drew Bledsoe suffered a sheared blood vessel on a hit and was out for weeks. The result? Tom Brady, baby! The second-year QB stepped up to take the Patriots to a 11-5 regular season record. After wins over Oakland and Pittsburgh the Patriots headed into Super Bowl XXXVI full of confidence.

On game day it all came down to Bill Belichick's stingy defence VS Mike Martz's flamboyant offense. The Patriots were using 5-7 DB's at any time to try and combat the Rams deadly passing game. This proved to be successful, as the Patriots lead 17-3 right up to the start of the 4th quarter.

The Rams came out a different team in the 4th quarter, and started to find their rhythm offensively. Marshall Faulk had 4 carries for 40 yards and got the Rams into the Patriots' red zone for the first time in the game. Kurt Warner threw for a couple more passes, then ran a QB sneak to get the TD. Now down 17-10, the Rams were engaged in a game of force 'em backs, with both teams fighting for field position. The Rams forced New England to another three-and-out, and got the ball back on their own 45-yard line with 1:51 left in the game. Warner threw three consecutive completions, the final being a 26-yard touchdown completion that tied the game 17–17 with 1:30 left in the fourth quarter.

The Patriots ran out with no timeouts left for the final drive, which prompted commentator John Madden to tell them to drive for overtime. Apparently Coach Belichick didn't hear this thought, as he sent out Tom Brady with one task - throw the ball. Three quick completions to RB, J.R. Redmond put the Patriots 9 yards short of Rams territory. The pressure was obviously on as Tom Brady threw a horrible incomplete pass. He followed that up with a 23 yard completion, and then another 6 yard completion, putting them on the Rams' 30-yard line. Brady quickly set formation and spiked the ball with seven seconds left, which left Adam Vinatieri with 48-yard field goal attempt to win the Super Bowl. Vinatieri's kick was successful, and the Patriots won 20-17.

Tom Brady was the Super Bowl MVP with 16 from 27 passes for 145 yards and a touchdown.

WHAT A GAME!

Clintos said:
I guess what I'm driving at here is that the Patriots were massive underdogs.

I recall another Superbowl involving the Patriots, in which their opponents were also massive underdogs. I quite enjoyed that one.

But seriously, 36 was a good one too. Also seriously, do you have the Giants/Pats one in your collection? I'd love a copy.

Giants beating the Pats.

Not a big fan of either team, but that is one of the biggest underdog wins in the history of sport.

Giants/Pats, Rams/Titans, Colts/Bears

The Colts win has to be my favourite. Peyton Manning just shone in that game. He's such a legend.

Bannermania said:
The Colts win has to be my favourite. Peyton Manning just shone in that game. He's such a legend.

was awesome to see peyton get a ring!

Unread

Active Now

• Tim K
  • Old Mate
  • sooticus
  • Wolfie
  • Cavalo
  • broncos4life
  • Aldo
  • Midean
  • ChewThePhatt
  • RolledOates
  • Lurker
  • Xzei
  • scobie
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.