Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
Da1ad6ec1d29e00441bb57e0e0a49472

Fensom in frame as Brisbane prepare for old foes

March 18, 2019

Veteran forward Shaun Fensom is set to make his Brisbane debut and Tevita Pangai jnr is in line for a starting spot as the Broncos prepare for a rampant Cowboys pack in Friday's Queensland derby.

With Matt Lodge suspended for two games, Pangai is likely to be elevated from the bench where he made 156 metres from 19 runs in the 22-12 loss to Melbourne last Thursday.

Fensom, who joined the club from the Cowboys in the pre-season, trained with the main squad on Tuesday in a sign the 30-year-old forward is to come onto the bench after playing for Souths-Logan in the Intrust Super Cup last weekend.

The Broncos struggled to handle Jesse Bromwich and Nelson Asofa-Solomona early in the loss to the Storm despite hanging tough to limit the damage on the scoreboard.

With an in-form Jason Taumalolo, who ran for 286m against the Dragons in round one, and a star-studded Cowboys pack on the horizon the Broncos will need Pangai and company to start with more fire and brimstone at Suncorp Stadium.

"We started poorly in our trial [against the Titans] and we started poorly against Melbourne and you can’t do that against good sides. This week will be no different," halfback Kodi Nikorima said.

"Shaun is an experienced player. He’s been at the Cowboys and Canberra. He’s been training really well and deserves an opportunity if it becomes his own.

"I thought Tevita was one of our best when he came on. Him and Tommy [Flegler] changed the game for us when they came on and started our sets off really well and got us on the front foot.

"With Tevita starting we’ll need that from the get-go. He’s had a fair few injuries in the pre-season and when he comes back from injury he tends to start slow but he was on fire for us against Melbourne."

The Cowboys came home with a wet sail in the last clash between the two sides in Townsville in 2018, in a 34-30 win, with coach Paul Green bringing Taumalolo and Jordan McLean back from the bench in the final quarter of the match.

This year Green will also have former Broncos star Josh McGuire, who had a strong debut for the Cowboys against the Dragons, running for 154m and making 29 tackles in a 63-minute display full of impact.

Broncos hooker Andrew McCullough said McGuire was "quite a character and very competitive" and was expecting his former teammate to play strongly against his old club, while not expecting too much over-the-top sledging.

"He’ll be sucking them in too much to be too worried about that," McCullough grinned.

"He’s got a job to do so if he gets caught up in that it will take away from what they are planning to do. It will be good if he does that."

The Broncos may yet play centre James Roberts against the Cowboys despite a back spasm limiting his game time to just five minutes against Melbourne.

Roberts trained on his own with high performance chief Paul Devlin on Tuesday and will be given until later in the week to prove his fitness.

If Roberts is ruled out Kotoni Staggs, who came off the bench against Melbourne, will start at right centre with Gehamat Shibasaki a likely bench replacement.

Source: NRL.com

Would rather Shiba start at right centre and Staggs remain as the utility personally.

Why Patrick carrigan is not consider for this match?

Would rather Shiba start at right centre and Staggs remain as the utility personally.

Staggs at center makes me nervous defensively ... lucky for us the Cowboys have a pretty poor backline

In what way? From what I’ve seen he’s a pretty tidy defender.

then you haven't been watching Staggs play defense in the centers ... IMO, his technique is fine, it's his positioning and decision making that let him down

then you haven't been watching Staggs play defense in the centers ... IMO, his technique is fine, it's his positioning and decision making that let him down
To me he just looks a bit unsure of himself which makes his decision making a bit slow. I know what you mean though. A bit of game time and he'll be sweet.

None of the Storm's tries came through Staggs IIRC. And he played there for 75 minutes.

whatched every game he’s played mate - centre or otherwise and does well. I’d put him above most ten gamers defence wise. Take your point though

Defensom might be good here. Their running middle forwards will drain our pack, hopefully Shaun can bring some workrate and experience in defence.
Yeah, he's not a big metres player but he will tackle anything that moves and take the hard carry's when needed. Hope he's up for a big game because we're going to need him to play a blinder.

Hopefully Fensom gets some decent game time. He'll add some much needed grit in that defensive line and his experience will be invaluable. He certainly won't run 70 mtrs to score a try (or even 2 mtrs) but his work rate and toughness may inspire the rest of them. He was a smart acquisition by Siebs and if he stays healthy, I expect him to be in the lineup more times than not.

Yeah, he's not a big metres player but he will tackle anything that moves and take the hard carry's when needed. Hope he's up for a big game because we're going to need him to play a blinder.
He doesn't bend the line but he doesn't exactly shy away from taking carries. When he was a regular starter playing 65+ minutes he was still making about 100 metres per game on top of a lot of decoy runs. He's much better on the defensive side of things but the guy just wants to be involved, period.

He is young and in the hardest position to defend. I think he has done an ok job . Fifita got found out a few times last week.

He doesn't bend the line but he doesn't exactly shy away from taking carries. When he was a regular starter playing 65+ minutes he was still making about 100 metres per game on top of a lot of decoy runs. He's much better on the defensive side of things but the guy just wants to be involved, period.
Absolutely agree.
There's nothing exceptional or flash about the Fence (@Clintos That nick name's gotta stick, Fence it is!) What he is, is a genuine workaholic. A true team player.
I like that.
With all the up & coming brilliance we have in our pack, I reckon Fence is a perfect fit.

Active Now

• Dash
  • Bucking Beads
  • Morkel
  • Gympie devil
  • Jazza
  • Brocko
  • Mick_Hancock
  • ChewThePhatt
  • cento
  • Lurker
  • Foordy
  • GCBRONCO
  • Financeguy
  • Santa
  • MrMoore
  • matthewransom34@ic
  • Sproj
  • Xzei
  • Mustafur
  • winslow_wong
... and 13 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.