OFFICIAL Fifita extends to 2026. Tino signs for 10 years @ 12M

Really? I only see both getting better over 10 years, makes them one club players, magician level attack from both in key positions that win you games.

Build the team around em.
I'd do it.

There is far too much risk of complacency with those sort of deals. 5 year deals max.

and if complacency doesn't set in then there is always the chance of a big increase in the cap causing a Payne Haas situation where he is no longer happy with the deal they signed.

and if you manage to avoid complacency and discontent (possibly greed) ... then there is the chance that the player gets a bad injury early in the deal that isn't enough to medically retire said player, but is enough to make said player a fraction of the player they were before the injury ... possibly completely fucking your salary cap for the next decade.

so many things can go wrong that it simply isn't worth the risk.

there is a very big reason why in all of Australian sport, we've only ever seen less than a handful of 10 years deals

I’m sure Payne’s management hear this and think he’s worth AT LEAST $1.2m, but the better comparison is Fifita’s deal - in terms of length - at $1m per year.

Oddly, if Payne’s offer was fixed at $1.1m for 5 or 6 years, I’d feel better because the cap will rise.

At least Fifita scores a ton of tries - directly influencing games.

To think there was people on here a few weeks ago thinking we could just brush Haas and go after Tino instead, as though there was some sort of discount or leverage to be had… 😂

Really? I only see both getting better over 10 years, makes them one club players, magician level attack from both in key positions that win you games.

Build the team around em.
I'd do it.

edit: Add Patty to that deal as well.
Neither of them are one club players.

The only thing saving us from spending that much is we look to be perennial contenders but that’s up to haas to be on board with that and take a slight discount so we can stay competitive.

Mo is looking mighty good right about now though.
Have to think Mo will struggle to get even $600k out of the Titans now given how little they have left to allocate to their Forward Pack.

Have to think Mo will struggle to get even $600k out of the Titans now given how little they have left to allocate to their Forward Pack.
Do they still want Ben Hunt? Not that he’s likely going to be available.

It’s entirely possible that Haas is telling the truth about wanting assurances after his playing career, and that we really might be able to retain him for around that $1.1 million a season mark.

I’d be putting it back on Haas though to say that those assurances are contingent on him keeping his nose clean and absolutely not causing any further off field headaches for us if he intends to be a part of the club once his playing days are done.

He can be a well paid part of the club in his retirement but if he wants those guarantees then he needs to hold up his end of the bargain too and ensure he’s presenting himself as a person fit to fill that sort of role.

It would not surprise me if the Titans double down and keep signing their other forwards to big contracts at the expense of quality backs.................they don't seem to learn.

The talk from Haas about life after footy is eerily similar to words from Brandon Smith after he signed with rorters when he was being pretty candid on the podcast:

“It was actually mind blowing,” Smith told YKTR Sports.
“I can’t explain it … like I went and golfed with Jared, Aubo and Friendy, and Nick Politis was ringing them. He is over in LA on a business trip at the moment and he is ringing them up just to see how they are.
“And they spoke with so much passion about the club … I think the best thing about the Roosters, bro, they are about your life, not your footy.
“Like, they want you to be set for life. They don’t want you to walk away with nothing from rugby league. They just pushed that. They can tell you how they are going to help you with life … it was just mind blowing.”

The talk about being set for life and not wanting you to walk away with nothing when you've retired, etc.

When Haas is talking about life after footy that's what he's talking about... to me he's not talking about having a job with the broncos after footy, he's talking about what can the club do for him in regards to setting him up for life through investment, etc.

I would've thought that's a responsibility of his manager i.e. put him in touch with the right financial advisers, etc. to invest his money properly and ensure he'll be comfortable with all the money he's currently earning.

The talk from Haas about life after footy is eerily similar to words from Brandon Smith after he signed with rorters when he was being pretty candid on the podcast:

“It was actually mind blowing,” Smith told YKTR Sports.
“I can’t explain it … like I went and golfed with Jared, Aubo and Friendy, and Nick Politis was ringing them. He is over in LA on a business trip at the moment and he is ringing them up just to see how they are.
“And they spoke with so much passion about the club … I think the best thing about the Roosters, bro, they are about your life, not your footy.
“Like, they want you to be set for life. They don’t want you to walk away with nothing from rugby league. They just pushed that. They can tell you how they are going to help you with life … it was just mind blowing.”

The talk about being set for life and not wanting you to walk away with nothing when you've retired, etc.

When Haas is talking about life after footy that's what he's talking about... to me he's not talking about having a job with the broncos after footy, he's talking about what can the club do for him in regards to setting him up for life through investment, etc.

I would've thought that's a responsibility of his manager i.e. put him in touch with the right financial advisers, etc. to invest his money properly and ensure he'll be comfortable with all the money he's currently earning.

Ooopsy.....................Brandon Smith broke the first rule of fight club.

Ooopsy.....................Brandon Smith broke the first rule of fight club.

All the help, advice, contacts and resources they are given every year you would be an idiot if you didn't take it.

No Mr Politis and Mr Bouris I am all good for your financial advice.

Broncos have the exact same people involved. Every club does now.

I remember a Raiders player told me when they were sponsored by Video Ezy in 1990 a Video Ezy person came to training to talk to them about investing in a store- one player stayed and listened and bought a store- he made a lot of money off it.

Active Now

• Bish
  • Manofoneway
  • Mighty Bronx
  • marw
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.