NEWS Fijian flyer Ilikena Vudogo an attacking boost for Brisbane Broncos

I know YouTube makes even an average player look good, but this guy was seriously on another level in that 2018 U20 tournament in Romania.
Pity, our most decorated captain will keep the likes of him, Farnworth/Perese/Arthars and Coates out of the side. A punt on x-factor would be most welcome, instead of the same experienced mediocre selections.

The Magpies kinda dicked him around last year, so it's kinda hard to get an accurate assesment on whether he's good or not, in his 9 games of ISC last year he played 6 at centre & 3 off the bench. Has there ever been a good Fijian centre? To me all Fijian outside backs should be wingers, so they can utilise their freakish natural jumping and running ability.

The Magpies kinda dicked him around last year, so it's kinda hard to get an accurate assesment on whether he's good or not, in his 9 games of ISC last year he played 6 at centre & 3 off the bench. Has there ever been a good Fijian centre? To me all Fijian outside backs should be wingers, so they can utilise their freakish natural jumping and running ability.

I think Souths handled him beautifully, he took half the year in BRL to be able to handle ISC. He played wing in BRL once he got those four tries against Wynnum they promoted him to ISC and off the bench was ideal because he could watch games and get a feel for it.

His best game was off the bench against the Jets, the Jets had all the running and were up 10-0 after 10 minutes down what would have been his side. He came on just before half time and had a great impact scoring twice with great running.

Starting he couldn’t ease into games, he was targeted and his head would drop.

Starting he couldn’t ease into games, he was targeted and his head would drop.

Targeted because he was playing out of position perhaps? Seems like an out and out winger to me.

Targeted because he was playing out of position perhaps? Seems like an out and out winger to me.

How can he be out of position when it’s his first year? He has no position.

He was targeted because he couldn’t understand league. Same as Perese.

Which game makes you think winger? Standing out on the wing wouldn’t have helped his development at all. They got lapped every week.

Last edited:
How can he be out of position when it’s his first year? He has no position.

He was targeted because he couldn’t understand league. Same as Perese.

Which game makes you think winger? Standing out on the wing wouldn’t have helped his development at all. They got lapped every week.

Has no position, but has played wing in every other team he's played in that I can tell, including Rugby Union, right? He is also the same size, has the same skillset and has essentially every attribute you'd want out of a modern day winger. I don't know why you're defending them playing him at centre, that just seems like a poor call to me.

Isn't this also the same club that played Niu at centre for the first half of the season, when he was clearly a fullback?

Has no position, but has played wing in every other team he's played in that I can tell, including Rugby Union, right? He is also the same size, has the same skillset and has essentially every attribute you'd want out of a modern day winger. I don't know why you're defending them playing him at centre, that just seems like a poor call to me.

Isn't this also the same club that played Niu at centre for the first half of the season, when he was clearly a fullback?

Yes no position, he was a project and took time, just putting him on the wing wouldn't have helped at all. Perese played wing and centre too and he was more versed in league than Vudogo. Playing more than one role has helped him. Put him on the wing in round one and leave him there and he isn't as far a long as he is now, he improved massively from start of the year to end. Playing centre improved his defence and his positioning on the field. Both of those got better as the season went on.

I am defending it because the reasons they did it are right, and his improvement was massive.

Yeah same club, guess they know the guy they developed over someone just guessing.

Nui also played centre for Queensland and played well. Richrds is his Broncos assistant coach and he wanted him there in his team.

Yes no position, he was a project and took time, just putting him on the wing wouldn't have helped at all. Perese played wing and centre too and he was more versed in league than Vudogo.
Looking forward to seeing Perese reunited with Croft this year.

Has Herbie played in the centres? If Isaako gets the fullback job then I would put Herbie on the wing but if Bird or Staggs go to fullback can Herbie play centre or would Perese or Vudogo be more likely?

Looking forward to seeing Perese reunited with Croft this year.

Perese hasn't shown too much skill in the combination area, he just runs and breaks tackles. But he evolved so much this year and his understanding of the game to be able to reach that point that I think this year his big learning curve has to be understanding what other people are doing and putting himself in position to take advantage of that.

Perese hasn't shown too much skill in the combination area, he just runs and breaks tackles. But he evolved so much this year and his understanding of the game to be able to reach that point that I think this year his big learning curve has to be understanding what other people are doing and putting himself in position to take advantage of that.
Hopefully Croft knows his game better having played outside him in high school.
[automerge]1574979669[/automerge]
Has Herbie played in the centres? If Isaako gets the fullback job then I would put Herbie on the wing but if Bird or Staggs go to fullback can Herbie play centre or would Perese or Vudogo be more likely?
These are the kind of questions to answer in the trials. Along with Arthurs and Coates.

Last edited:

Herbie started in the centres in ISC and got some games there this year- but didn't last too long but I think he's a very well rounded footballer as far as his skills, he reminds me a bit of Tate the way he is smart about his running and positioning. I think he could be an effective centre.

Wing has been good for him because he's sat back and picked his times to get involved and he's become very good at the appropriate skill- staying out when he has to and positioning himself correctly.

Herbie is in front of Coates and Perese as far as being able to play centre in attack and defence effectively and consistently but he's not as dynamic as Perese running.

Last edited:
Perese has a heap of skill, he set up bunch of tries from his line breaks and tackle busts. He's a hell of a threat and hopefully he gets some more time in the top grade, would like a bit more size on him because like Staggs hes a real powerhouse and likes the contact and bumping guys off. Hopefully gets a few more years at the club at some point this year.

Niu played centre in Q cup because that's where he was needed and the Magpies fullback is pretty damn good in his own right, won't hurt his development to see what it's like on the edges and what sort of ball centres and wingers should be getting from him when he gets a crack at FB.

Jury still out on Vudogo but he has a lot of talent and can set them up as well as score them, bit more time in Q Cup won't hurt him. Q Cup affiliation this year should be interesting and what positions the boys will be playing in.

Active Now

• Dash
  • Aldo
  • lynx000
  • Xzei
  • Broncosgirl
  • Harry Sack
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Broncosarethebest
  • marw
  • RolledOates
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.