NEWS Former Broncos coach Anthony Griffin says club has ‘lost its soul’ and identity

FaithinHook

NRL Player
    Featured
Former Broncos coach Anthony Griffin says club has ‘lost its soul’ and identity
The Broncos lost their final round game to the Bulldogs 30-14, before surrendering 58-0 in a record capitulation to be knocked out of the finals by the Eels.“They’ve lost their identity, which is the biggest thing for Brisbane,” Griffin told NRL 360.

'They've lost their identity'

“They have lost their soul or whatever you want to call it over the last couple of weeks.
“If they had got into the semis and gone down with an admirable loss you could half explain the year away and say well they have blooded a lot of young guys, but it was the way they lost.”

Griffin coached the Broncos to 54 wins from 101 games from 2011 to 2014 for a win percentage of 53. The Broncos under new coach Anthony Seibold lost 13 of their 25 games, with one draw in 2019, but it was their final two losses with their season on the line that were most alarming, according to Griffin.

“They’ve got to find their soul,” Griffin said. “It was all built on effort and playing for each other. “That was there when it started and was instilled in the place and all the great players put it in there.”

The Broncos are the envy of most clubs in the competition given their fan base and resources. Griffin knows better than most the expectations that come with being a member of the Broncos organisation.

“Coming eighth in Brisbane isn’t a pass mark,” Griffin explained. “There is a lot of clubs that would like to be in their shoes and they wear that responsibility when you are involved in that club. “Whether you are a coach or a player you wear that responsibility, so it was the way that they lost.

“There has been a lot of positive things happen this year with the players that they brought through, but the way the finished there season is the most alarming thing because then the whole season looks like it stood for nothing.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-premiership/former-broncos-anthony-griffin-coach-says-club-has-lost-its-soul-and-identity/news-story/a94b384e08e1b5aa6103bda20d1611c1

Last edited:

Midean

NYC Player
NSW
In other news, water is wet.
I dont think we have had "soul" all year.

Last edited:

BroncsFan

NRL Player
Did we lose our soul when dragons put 48 on us last year... or when warriors put 56 on your Broncos in 2013 at Suncorp??

Nah must only be this year we lost our soul after conceding a scoreline

broncsgoat

NRL Captain
Did we lose our soul when dragons put 48 on us last year... or when warriors put 56 on your Broncos in 2013 at Suncorp??

Nah must only be this year we lost our soul after conceding a scoreline
Surely you don’t think Sunday is the only reason Hook’s saying this?

BroncsFan

NRL Player
Surely you don’t think Sunday is the only reason Hook’s saying this?
I've stated previously that I think the definitive Broncos culture was lost back around 08 when Petero was let go.

Around that time we lost Petero, Webke, Carrol, Thorn, Tate, Berro, etc. Basically the only remnants were Lockyer, Parker and Hodgo. Khunt also moved on and I'd say if he stayed he would be our current captain and 5/8.

It was basically the first iteration of adopting a youth first policy as McGuire, Macca, Norman, Beale, etc. came in to fill the voids. The major issue being that all the old heads had moved on before imparting the Broncos culture onto the youngins, which would create an ongoing cycle of the old culture for striving to succeed rather than making up the numbers.

Soon enough Griffin moved into the head coaching role and you could say at that point it was basically up to the 08 generation to create their own culture, which is where I believe we are now.

Basically I'm blaming the current culture of the club on Bruno Cullen who appeared to be the architect of the youth first policy version 1 and Anthony Griffin who allowed and nurtured the 08 generation to create the current culture we see today

AndyB

QCup Player
I've stated previously that I think the definitive Broncos culture was lost back around 08 when Petero was let go.

Around that time we lost Petero, Webke, Carrol, Thorn, Tate, Berro, etc. Basically the only remnants were Lockyer, Parker and Hodgo. Khunt also moved on and I'd say if he stayed he would be our current captain and 5/8.

It was basically the first iteration of adopting a youth first policy as McGuire, Macca, Norman, Beale, etc. came in to fill the voids. The major issue being that all the old heads had moved on before imparting the Broncos culture onto the youngins, which would create an ongoing cycle of the old culture for striving to succeed rather than making up the numbers.

Soon enough Griffin moved into the head coaching role and you could say at that point it was basically up to the 08 generation to create their own culture, which is where I believe we are now.

Basically I'm blaming the current culture of the club on Bruno Cullen who appeared to be the architect of the youth first policy version 1 and Anthony Griffin who allowed and nurtured the 08 generation to create the current culture we see today
This.
I wrote about the fact that we can't all agree on a suitable replacement captain at this point.
The loss of true leaders in this club has hurt us immensely.

I bleed Maroon

State of Origin Captain

Yeah it wouldn't surprise me at all to hear that Griffin was a soft touch. The **** can barely move his hand to scratch his ass without wondering what it's worth.

Battler

NRL Captain
North Brisbane

On Khunt, hasn’t he wasted his career. Could have been one of the all time greats in League, instead he fucked around in afl and is now a shadow of the player he was in Union. Shame.

I bleed Maroon

State of Origin Captain
On Khunt, hasn’t he wasted his career. Could have been one of the all time greats in League, instead he fucked around in afl and is now a shadow of the player he was in Union. Shame.
As great a player as Khunt is, we can't exactly say he hasn't exposed a very ugly character underneath since then. I fear what he would have done to himself if he became one of the best in the code.

Locky888

NYC Player
Griffin wouldn't have done any better. He was shithouse back then and shithouse with the Panthers. Don't know what Phil Gould was thinking recruiting Griffin to the Panthers.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Twitter