forward pack succesion

coreyh88

coreyh88

NRL Player
Sep 24, 2012
Hi guys, with possibly glenn and blair out this week we may get to see another debut.
So I thought it was a good time to visit this. How do you see our forward pack shaping up in 2020 and how do we get there?

I wouldn't mind seeing a pack like this

8. Moose
9. Macca
10. Offa
11. Sua
12. Gillett
13. Arrow

14. Esse esse
15. Tpj
16. Molo
17. Saitua/berrell

Obviously the hooker and utility are hardest to predict.
I see wallace improving substantially and getting poached for a starting gig.
We have to lose one of our starting pack this year or it will bite us later either due to the cap or youngsters leaving. My money is on glenn being let go. In the next few years thaiday, parker and blair will retire hopefully not all at the same time.

Hi guys, with possibly glenn and blair out this week we may get to see another debut.
So I thought it was a good time to visit this. How do you see our forward pack shaping up in 2020 and how do we get there?

I wouldn't mind seeing a pack like this

8. Moose
9. Macca
10. Offa
11. Sua
12. Gillett
13. Arrow

14. Esse esse
15. Tpj
16. Molo
17. Saitua/berrell

Obviously the hooker and utility are hardest to predict.
I see wallace improving substantially and getting poached for a starting gig.
We have to lose one of our starting pack this year or it will bite us later either due to the cap or youngsters leaving. My money is on glenn being let go. In the next few years thaiday, parker and blair will retire hopefully not all at the same time.

i think we can rule out molo, i dont expect him to be there past this year. surely there would have to be a better back up 9 option come through by 2020 than saitua and berrell. im not a fan of these 2 at all and would hope something else comes through.
and i wouldnt be surprised to see bennett make a grab for another 1 or 2 forward options from elsewhere in the next 12 months.

Really? I think Berrell has a lot of potential. I did hear a rumor we may lose Sua which is a shame as he is ideal as Glenns understudy being able to play centre too. Aarow may get a shot this year if he keeps performing consistently like he is. Wouldnt be surprised to see Eseese starting by 2020. Obviously 4 years is a long way to go so who knows. Do really like our forward depth right now though. Dont think we need more until these ones have had enough time to be tested.

Last edited:
I was thinking michael molo. The very little I've seen of him looked good. How is arrow going? I've heard very little of him, what isc team is he with?

I was thinking michael molo. The very little I've seen of him looked good. How is arrow going? I've heard very little of him, what isc team is he with?

He's with Norths, by all reports he's playing very well. Constantly over 200 metres gained and making 40+ tackles.

George Fai looks promising and physically up to it in Q cup at a tender age playing at prop. even barged over for a try or two I believe.

Never seen sua in action but only heard glowing things about him.

I too can't see frank Molo rebounding back now. Is Keegan hipgrave considered unlikely to fulfil his early trajectory now?

Also extremely disappointed to hear and see (prozone stats) so little from salesi Funaki. I thought he would be a wrecking ball a la Ese'ese

Sent from my D6653 using Tapatalk

He's with Norths, by all reports he's playing very well. Constantly over 200 metres gained and making 40+ tackles.
I think that's frank. And he struggles to crack 100m.

Could be wrong but I think Michael predominantly plays NYC and is more a back rower

Michael Molo had big shoes to fill. Arrow was such a big part of the NYC side and whoever had the job of replacing him was always going to come off second-rate. He's a different style of player where his value isn't necessarily in the numbers but his ability to earn quick play-the-balls, pop an offload or pick whether to pass or run.

In a perfect world, he'd be coming off the bench and being allowed to play an impact role. Unfortunately the Broncos appear to be down on troops and he's been thrown into the deep end. To his credit, he appears to be getting better with time. For a player like him, it's all about picking your moments and he's doing a better job of that now than he was at the start of the season.

It's too early to rate him as a first grade option.

Of the 20s, stick with George Fai, Keegan Hipgrave, Tevita Pangai Jr and Jaydn S'ua. All four are in the frame and could get there pending on variables.

I think that's frank. And he struggles to crack 100m.

Could be wrong but I think Michael predominantly plays NYC and is more a back rower

What?

whats happening with francis molo, he looked a bright product until the ackerman incident, could he still be a good player in the future

whats happening with francis molo, he looked a bright product until the ackerman incident, could he still be a good player in the future

he could well be a good player, but i personally think he need a change of scenery to reinvigorate him.

Really? I think Berrell has a lot of potential. I did hear a rumor we may lose Sua which is a shame as he is ideal as Glenns understudy being able to play centre too. Aarow may get a shot this year if he keeps performing consistently like he is. Wouldnt be surprised to see Eseese starting by 2020. Obviously 4 years is a long way to go so who knows. Do really like our forward depth right now though. Dont think we need more until these ones have had enough time to be tested.

im not sure about losing sua, i would have thought he wouod be on the list to keep but money may be a big thing if a club comes in and launches for him.
yep, not a fan of berrell. he can only pass one way and only shoots from dummy half one way. he is a trier, but i dont see a nrl career for him with us.

How about Brett Greinke's progression? I haven't heard from anyone in a while in regards to how he's going. Has anyone got any info on him?

I think Salesi Funaki is one to lookout for. He impressed me in the tigers under 20's and I was happy to know we snapped him up. He is quite a powerful edge backrower, has a good running game as well as a good offloading ability. He has a pretty neat catch and pass in him and is very hard to pull down one on one. Obviously he is quite young and may need some time to mature and develop, but hopefully he can improve and impress enough to hopefully get a shot at some stage in the upcoming seasons.

How about Brett Greinke's progression? I haven't heard from anyone in a while in regards to how he's going. Has anyone got any info on him?

I think Salesi Funaki is one to lookout for. He impressed me in the tigers under 20's and I was happy to know we snapped him up. He is quite a powerful edge backrower, has a good running game as well as a good offloading ability. He has a pretty neat catch and pass in him and is very hard to pull down one on one. Obviously he is quite young and may need some time to mature and develop, but hopefully he can improve and impress enough to hopefully get a shot at some stage in the upcoming seasons.

greinke hasnt really progressed. he looks like a solid long term q cup player. he does a job for norths without anything flash.
funaki is a real head f#$k, he has all the ability to make nrl but looking from the outside he doesnt seem to want it or put in the hard yards required. he is still young enough to get his career going but he needs to do it sooner rather than later.

With this season coming to an end it will be really interesting to see what happens with our forward pack over the next few seasons.

For 2018 I would personally have a forward pack that looks like this round 1:

8. Ofahengaue/Lodge
9. McCullough (only option we have and signed long term, also assuming he is fit)
10. McGuire
11. Glenn/Oates (if he was to move from the wing)
12. Gillett (needs to lift in attack next season)
13. Bird

14. Utility/Glenn/Oates
15. Lodge/Ofahengaue
16. TPJ
17. Su'A

Looking longer term to 2020 this is a forward pack we could possibly have if certain people are retained and others leave:

8. Ofahengaue/Lodge
9. McCullough/Someone else comes through or we sign someone
10. McGuire
11. Oates (if he move from wing)/Su'A
12. Fifita/Gillett/Su'A
13. Bird/TPJ

14. Utility
15. TPJ
16. Lodge/Ofahengaue
17. Gillett

Other guys that could be there are Carrigan and Haas.

Unread

Active Now

• Swordfish
  • Allo
  • Sproj
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.