Forwards 2017

Samir

Samir

Sep 20, 2016
Some mixed opinions I've seen in other threads but in my opinion we certainly need a big body in the middle. We conceded meters way too easily this year, and we needed someone to put Taumololo down but he ran right through us last week. Ryan James and Dylan Napa are the 2 names being tossed around. What are your thoughts on next years forward pack? We have a few youngsters coming through but we can't throw them in the deep end straight away with Wallace and Parker leaving. I think we need to sign some experience.

8. McGuire
9. McCullough
10. James/Napa
11. Thaiday
12. Gillett
13. Blair

14. Glenn
15. Pangai
16. Arrow/Ofahengaue/Ese'ese
17. Nikorima

It's important that we sign Napa or James but there's also a few players on the outer at other clubs, if we can sign Napa or James and then add to our bench by signing any of Matulino, Vaughan, Fensom or even bringing Mitch Dodds back, we would have much better go forward and that is something that Milford and Hunt definitely thrive on. As will James Roberts getting early ball and running at a retreating defence. We also can't afford to have another origin period like this year so we need the depth. Thoughts? Rumors?

Talk about Ryan James to Brisbane is a hurricane at the moment:

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...k=4c20782068f0626ea5b0e21b56a3881b-1474527695

[h=1]itans prop Ryan James chased by six clubs, Broncos biggest threat to snare him[/h]
ee2111c209fe863a18d48338de1df0ae
PETER BADEL, The Courier-Mail
September 21, 2016 5:06pm

Subscriber only

ee2111c209fe863a18d48338de1df0ae

THE Titans are facing a battle to retain Ryan James with Queensland rivals the Broncos targeting the in-form prop.

James has become the most sought-after front-rower in the code with the newly-crowned Paul Broughton Medallist being chased by six NRL rivals.
But the Broncos loom as the biggest threat to the Titans’ hopes of retaining the forward who is the frontrunner to snare the Gold Coast captaincy next season.
The Broncos landed their first poaching blow on the Titans a fortnight ago when they signed Gold Coast flyer David Mead to a one-year deal.
Now James is on their radar as the Broncos look for more forward mongrel after the Cowboys last week extended Brisbane’s premiership drought to 10 seasons.
e0320d846526303a3e52abb7c1fe2bfd

Ryan James with the Paul Broughton Medal. Photo: David ClarkJames’ star is rising, with the Titans’ player of the year to turn out for Australia’s Prime Ministers XIII against a PNG PM’s XIII this Saturday in Port Moresby.
The Titans remain confident of securing James beyond 2017, but the 25-year-old will officially test his value on the open market in a move that opens the door for the Broncos.
“I have six clubs chasing Ryan at the moment and I’ll be exploring those options next week as per my client’s request,” said James’ agent Tas Bartlett.
“Ryan has never gone through this process before. In the past, he has just agreed to sign with the Titans but this next deal will be the most important of his career so he wants to tick all the boxes.

Re: Forwards 2017z

For arguments sake if we do land a starting prop here's what I'd go with

8. Moose
9. Macca
10. Signing
11. Blair
12. Thaiday
13. Gillet

14. Niko
15. Oates
16/17. Pangai, Esse, Offa, Fai, etc. gotta be two props.

Two points worth discussing.

1. I really think Glenn will go if we sign a prop. It makes a lot of sense - were too stacked on 2RF. Oates belongs in the forwards. If Oates stays on the wing, Glenn can take his spot. But I think this is the year he should move, especially getting an off season.

2. Blair to second row. I don't mind Blair as a prop but I think he offers more creativity then Gillet does these days, especially distributing the ball to his outside men. Gillos defence is his strongest asset now, he will help keep the middle tight following Parkers retirement.

8. Moose
9. Macca
10. Signing
11. Blair
12. Thaiday
13. Gillet

14. Niko
15. Oates

1. I really think Glenn will go if we sign a prop. It makes a lot of sense - were too stacked on 2RF. Oates belongs in the forwards. If Oates stays on the wing, Glenn can take his spot. But I think this is the year he should move, especially getting an off season.

2. Blair to second row. I don't mind Blair as a prop but I think he offers more creativity then Gillet does these days, especially distributing the ball to his outside men. Gillos defence is his strongest asset now, he will help keep the middle tight following Parkers retirement.

I wasn't a fan of moving Gillett to Lock but this does make sence. Re Gillo and Blair

Last edited:
I wasn't a fan of moving Gillett to Lock but this does make sence. Re Gillo and Blair
In saying that do we really want someone like Gillo making 40+ tackles a game.
Yeah his attack has dropped off but that's due to the halves not feeding him quality ball. I'd much prefer to move Mcguire to Lock with Gillo on the edges with Thaiday leaving Blair at prop pending we sign Ryan James or someone similar.
With a rotation of Niko, Pangai, Offa/esese/Fai and Arrow/Sua to develop off the bench for another year.

Last edited:

8. Moose
9. Macca
10. Signing
11. Blair
12. Thaiday
13. Gillet

14. Niko
15. Oates

I'm a fan of McGuire and hope he stays with us his entire career but I don't think a starting prop role is best for the side. If we get James this is what I'd like to see for 2017.

8. James
9. McCullough
10. Blair
11. TPJ
12. Thaiday
13. Gillett

14. McGuire
15. Glenn
16. Ofahenguae
17. Nikorima

If we sign James I would like too see McGuire come from the bench to add some great impact. Obviously Ofahenguae and TPJ are contentious picks but they have futures here, if they can work hard in the off season our pack would be far more well rounded than what we saw this year. If TPJ can be converted into a starting forward our threat on either side of the ruck would add an entirely new element to our game.

Glenn just renewed and he won't be going anywhere, he is one of our most reliable and consistent players and can cover a lot of positions. I honestly think Oates could struggle to make first grade soon. He is been undone under the highball and his defence is pretty shocking so im not sure he can make it in the second row either, not to mention his shoudler issues.

Glenn just renewed and he won't be going anywhere, he is one of our most reliable and consistent players and can cover a lot of positions. I honestly think Oates could struggle to make first grade soon. He is been undone under the highball and his defence is pretty shocking so im not sure he can make it in the second row either, not to mention his shoudler issues.

Oates has played second row before I believe that he played very well there. He started to get better at the end with them balls. he said its something he has to work on which was catching skills and he did. I reckon his defence would improve if he went back to second row. In my opinion Glenn has had a good season this year but I have seen him have even better seasons before. I would say Oates will get even better.
And if he does make line breaks in second row he has the speed to go the whole way and score tries.

Last edited:

Fairly certain he's only signed through to 17 - and hard to see him being extended. That was '15 iirc - is that what you were referring to when you say just? I'd wager Wayne won't stand in his way if he gets an offer that locks up his future IF we sign a prop. Especially as a lot of the names were throwing around don't come cheap. Also, Thaiday and Gillo are locked up past 17 unlike most of our other starters, and we have youth coming through.

Oates will have his first full pre season in a while. Hits hard, decision making in defence is also easier 3 in. Not sure how his recent deficiencies under the high ball are relevant to moving to 2RF.

Re: Forwards 2017z

8. Moose
9. Macca
10. Signing
11. Blair
12. Thaiday
13. Gillet

14. Niko
15. Oates

Sorry mate, I just can't agree with that, even if I am a biased Gillo fanboy. Put Thaiday on the right, and Gillett on the left, and we soar to new heights both in attack as well as defense on the left side.

I think Glenn will surprise a lot of people if he plays at lock. He certainly took me by surprise with how solid he has been in the ruck.

there is no way i'd move blair away from the middle. he would get lost again out on an edge and basically disappear in games like he did at other clubs.

he excels when he's in the game all the time cos it means his job is simple and he gives us those 1%ers in the middle, pressuring kickers, making those last ditch tackles on half breaks, etc.

Do you reckon that we would have space in the cap to buy both Ryan James and Dylan Napa. If that ever happened. Then we would have one, two many forwards then maybe?

Do you reckon that we would have space in the cap to buy both Ryan James and Dylan Napa. If that ever happened. Then we would have one, two many forwards then maybe?

We wouldn't have 'too' many forwards. Any club needs depth and players challenging for spots.

Our pack and bench would look different to now though.

I would be happy with something like:

8. Signing - James.
9. McCullough
10. Blair
11. Thaiday.
12. Gillett.
13. McGuire

14. TPJ.
15. Signing - Napa.
16. Oates
17. Glenn.

I'd equally be happy for McGuire and Blair to swap as Blair has a better offload in him and could probably play that role for us that Parker did at his peak.

Last edited:
I think we would be more likely to get one of Dylan or Napa and then someone like Vaughn if he is on the outer at the Raiders.

I think we would be more likely to get one of Dylan or Napa and then someone like Vaughn if he is on the outer at the Raiders.

RLW week reckon Vaughn is all but signed with the Dragons

RLW week reckon Vaughn is all but signed with the Dragons

Thanks for the update, I must admit I have not been following things all that closely lately.

Active Now

• Broncorob
  • thenry
  • Lozza
  • john1420
  • Culhwch
  • Sproj
  • broncos4life
  • Behind enemy lines
  • Aldo
  • theshed
  • BroncosAlways
  • Xzei
  • MrTickyMcG
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.