Fourth Test - Australia vs India - SCG

Has only played a few grade games and a few T20 matches since returning from injury/remodeling of his action.

This is the problem with delaying the shield games for the stupid hit and giggle 20/20

Great start from Australia. 0-97 with Warner on 51

Stumps Day 1

Australia 2/348

Warner 101
Rogers 95
Smith 82*
Watson 61*

A brilliant day from the Australians. The opening partnership between Warner/Rogers set it up, posting 200 together before Rogers fell agonizingly short of a well deserved century.

When they both finally departed, India had a small gap to take control but let it slip through their fingers as both Watson & Smith appear to be settled at the crease as they'll look to add to their 144 run partnership tomorrow. Ashwin would have to be filthy over dropping Watson in that final over. It would have been just the breakthrough the Indians needed to begin tomorrow but now I can see Watto going onto make them pay.

It would be so typical of Watson to score 100 in a dead rubber. Even if he does, he should still have been out for another 50. I really hope Rogers makes it to the Ashes, but I wish Watson would just get dropped.

Disappointed for Joe Burns too. This pitch looks a belter but he's not going to get in til we are about 4/500 and he's on a hiding to nothing in that sort of situation.

It would be so typical of Watson to score 100 in a dead rubber. Even if he does, he should still have been out for another 50. I really hope Rogers makes it to the Ashes, but I wish Watson would just get dropped.

Disappointed for Joe Burns too. This pitch looks a belter but he's not going to get in til we are about 4/500 and he's on a hiding to nothing in that sort of situation.

Yeah typical Watson as usual but the Selectors will be talking him up now. A real shame for Joe Burns because he really is missing out on getting a good bat on a nice pitch. He should have been batting at 3.

Burns playing a nice little innings here. Well done Buck Rogers and SS.

At what point do we declare? You'd have to think 600.

I think we have plenty of runs already. If we don't declare overnight I'll be disappointed. Really enjoyed the last session. Was getting sick of the "play it safe" rubbish from both teams this test.

Burns playing a nice little innings here. Well done Buck Rogers and SS.

I was driving and listening to it live. Amazing spell by all 3, although I must admit I cheered most for Burns.

I think we have plenty of runs already. If we don't declare overnight I'll be disappointed. Really enjoyed the last session. Was getting sick of the "play it safe" rubbish from both teams this test.

I'd be surprised if they don't. The tactic today seemed to be "let's play 20/20 lads". They want to give the Indians a sniff so they don't just try and defend a draw. Loved the attitude today.

I'd be checking just how many overs are scheduled to be bowled tomorrow before entertaining an overnight declaration ... If it's the usual 90 then pull the pin and get at them straight away but if there's a any significant amount of time to be added on (like 100+ overs) then I'd be thinking about batting on ....... actually scratch all that, I've finally got a look at the day's highlights on foxsports and that pitch is ripe for tricks ... lots of balls going through the top and it'll only get worse tomorrow ... sitting at work watching Australia tick over at 6+ an over this afternoon on cricinfo.com obviously didn't reveal the full picture ...

I'd be checking just how many overs are scheduled to be bowled tomorrow before entertaining an overnight declaration ... If it's the usual 90 then pull the pin and get at them straight away but if there's a any significant amount of time to be added on (like 100+ overs) then I'd be thinking about batting on ....... actually scratch all that, I've finally got a look at the day's highlights on foxsports and that pitch is ripe for tricks ... lots of balls going through the top and it'll only get worse tomorrow ... sitting at work watching Australia tick over at 6+ an over this afternoon on cricinfo.com obviously didn't reveal the full picture ...
It will be interesting . One team going at six an over with no concern about wickets . The other needing nearly 4 an over but the pitch is a minefield were all going die arrrghhhhh

I think we should declare overnight. If the chase the runs down they deserve to win.

^ that's one area we disagree.. IMO you never deserve to win a test match taking only 12 wickets (for 820 odd runs) ... First priority should always be to put yourself in a situation where you can't lose IMO and go from there... Something people (who probably didn't play the game at any decent level) underestimate is that more often than not it's harder to survive as a batsman when survival is your only thought.. Having a surplus of runs in the bank also allows you to maintain attacking fields right throughout as well..

^ that's one area we disagree.. IMO you never deserve to win a test match taking only 12 wickets (for 820 odd runs) ... First priority should always be to put yourself in a situation where you can't lose IMO and go from there... Something people (who probably didn't play the game at any decent level) underestimate is that more often than not it's harder to survive as a batsman when survival is your only thought.. Having a surplus of runs in the bank also allows you to maintain attacking fields right throughout as well..

I take it you were a pro cricketer in your time then.

Josh Hazlewood get a tick from me. Bowled very well today. Starc is still mostly garbage despite the channel 9 commentary team pumping him for the whole test match. He does tend to bowl the odd good spell but the sustained pressure and aggression just isn't there. Harris had a poor series by his standards but it was a tough series for the bowlers. Lyon was pretty good against batsmen who play spin well but I do think he still bowls it too flat and fast too often. He always looks so much more dangerous when he gives the ball a bit more air.

Steve Smith has just been incredible. I feel like the test team is in good hands with him being the leader once Clarke retires. Burns while not looking perfect showed enough to suggest he might have a place at test level. Shaun Marsh is a spud. A liability in the field and pretty much just an average cricketer who gets by on growing up around the Australian test team. Watson is still very much struggling to be what this team needs. He just isn't mentally up to batting at 3 in test cricket.

Interesting they played on with overs to spare unlike in Melbourne when Australia were in pretty much the same spot. What's the deal?

ps Is it just me or did they abandon play with a ball to spare? Oh well at least they didn't throw the towel in with four overs remaining so I guess that's something. . .

Active Now

• Skathen
  • Santa
  • TonyTheJugoslav
  • BroncosAlways
  • bert_lifts
  • Broncosgirl
  • Hurrijo
  • Rookie Alan
  • winslow_wong
  • Xzei
  • Morkel
  • Sproj
  • Bish
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.