Game 1 Origin Referees

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Shayne Hayne and Ashley Klein have been appointed to referee Origin 1.

Standby Referee: Matt Cecchin
Touch Judges: Russell Turner and Steve Carrall
Standby Touch Judge: Grant Atkins
Video Referees: Steve Clark and Henry Perenara (Assistant)

Last edited:
Seriously, how does Klein get such a free ride?

This was the referee who ruined the World Cup Final with that terrible 'strip' decision against Laffranchi and always seems hell bent on making these big adventurous calls that simply don't exist. (eg. Going for a Penalty try in our game against the Cowboys).

I don't keep a running tally of referee performances so I can't say for certain but gee whiz I'd almost take Gavin Badger over Ash. At least Gavin won't try and make some BS heroic call.

I though Archer would've been given the gig over him.

Hopefully their impact is minimal.

I know right, this is terrible...

Such a disadvantage to poor NSW.

Ashley Klien has pictures of somebody high up in the NRL. He shouldn't be reffing first grade let alone Origin.

Klein is a grade a idiot, he shouldn't be reffing anything more senior than high school football.

Honestly, I am completely out of the loop with referees these days.

In the past, I used to prefer some and hate others, but it was much easier then, as there was only one referee per match!

It's a thankless task, but I reckon the standard of refereeing has probably dropped a little over the last couple of years. There's no consistency.

One thing out of all the incompetent decisions that have been made this year, is that Ashley Klein remains a constant.

If there's a bullshit call to be made he's standing at the front of the line.

I don't know how they chose him to referee the NRL's calendar highlight of the year.......that's a bullshit call already and he hasn't even taken the field!!

The fact that Klein is even considered for this game speaks volume about the current state of the game for me

I though Archer would've been given the gig over him.

Hopefully their impact is minimal.

Archer has retired.

Frankly all referees are shit, but I'm surprised Klein got the gig. With any luck his incompetence favours Queensland.

Active Now

• Allo
  • Skathen
  • bert_lifts
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.