CRICKET General Cricket Discussion - 2023/24

134 from Wade.

What else can he do really? I think if he can't crack the Ashes squad he may as well retire, nobody is scoring as many runs as him right now, not even close.

134 from Wade.

What else can he do really? I think if he can't crack the Ashes squad he may as well retire, nobody is scoring as many runs as him right now, not even close.

The only player to get a ton this round as well. He is streets ahead of every other batsman in FC at present based on pure consistency. His bowling is also coming along decently enough. He is a more genuine all rounder than M.Marsh or Stoinis.

Harris 943 runs at 72.
Wade 922 runs at 61.

Streets ahead?

Wade 65 with 6 wickets falling around him for single digits in quick succession.

Just surpassed 1,000 runs for the season. Get him in!!!!

Last edited:
What are people's thoughts on the recent Mankad incident in the IPL?

I'm pretty old fashioned when it comes to cricket; and I do believe the "spirit of the game" should dictate player conduct to a degree. However; in a Mankad, I'm also of the opinion that the batsman was not playing in the spirit of the game if he is trying to steal some ground, and it is fair enough to dismiss him even without a warning. That was basically my view when I read the story of Ashwin dismissing Buttler - until I saw the video.

I don't know the exact wording of the law governing this type of dismissal, but I was always taught that once the bowler is in his delivery stride, he can't Mankad you, and you can begin backing up. Watching the video, the bowler would have been in his delivery stride if he'd had any intention at all of bowling that ball. The Mankad is out of the equation atathat point according to my understanding (happy to be proven wrong there). Additionally, Jos Buttler was still in his ground at the point the ball would have been released, again if Ashwin actually had any intention of bowling that ball.

As a last point - isn't it a dead ball if the bowler runs through the crease without delivering the ball?

The umps got it wrong and should have been not out and a dead ball. The MCC have rightly backed this up.

Just get rid of the Mankad ffs

Some sad news, Cam White hasn’t been given on a state contract with Victoria. This means he will probably never play Sheffield shield or national cricket again.
He was a great player in his prime, sad to see him go

Last edited:
That does suck for Cam, I'm a little surprised that's how his career will end, I didn't think he was playing that badly for Victoria, thought he still had a bit of a good cricket in him.

Cricket Network
15 May 2019, 11:00 AM AEST

Fast bowler Alister McDermott has ended a three-year absence to return to the Queensland Bulls contracted player list with the announcement today of the 2019-20 squad, while Brisbane Heat superstar Chris Lynn has not received a contract.

McDermott is the only newcomer to earn a full state contact while Australian Under-19 batsman Corey Hunter and Heat rookie left-arm paceman Matthew Willans are new faces in the Rookie contracted list

Batsman Max Bryant and left-arm spinner Matthew Kuhnemann received full contracts for the first time after starting last season on rookie deals.

There were three players from last year's list who were not contracted, with paceman Luke Feldman announcing his retirement and Peter George and Sam Truloff not offered new deals.

Lynn was a late addition to the contract list last year, with the T20 star returning to Bulls colours in the JLT One-Day Cup for the first time in five years.

He finished as the tournament's leading run-scorer, hitting 452 runs at 75.33, including two centuries, and coach Wade Seccombe confirmed he remained an important part of Queensland's plans.

"Chris is very much in our thinking for our one-day set-up in light of his performances last summer and we will work closely with him in the lead-up to the season once again,'' he said.

McDermott, a player and the club coach with Premier Grade club Wynnum-Manly, played three Toyota Futures League games for the Queensland Academy of Sport 2nd XI, with a best of 5-46 against WA in November.

Now 27, the right-arm quick made his debut for Queensland as a 17-year-old, playing a T20 Big Bash match against Victoria while still at school, before making his domestic one-day and first class debuts the following season.

He was a member of championship Queensland teams in 2012-13 (Shield) and 2013-14 (one-day) as well as playing in the Brisbane Heat's BBL|02 championship team and being a member of the Sydney Thunder's title-winning squad in 2016-17. He has represented Australia ‘A' and toured the UAE in 2012 with Australia's ODI and T20 squads without debuting in either format against Pakistan.

As well as coaching, he is completing a Bachelor of Education degree.

"Ali has worked exceptionally hard to get to this point and he brings that determination and composure to the squad," Seccombe said.

"We're very pleased to have him resume with us after a few years away. He has used Premier Cricket and the 2nd XI competition to demonstrate his skills as well as challenging himself through taking on coaching duties with his club.

"We're also excited to bring two of our Australian U-19 players in Corey Hunter and Matthew Willans onto the Rookie list. It's great they have been able to follow the talent development pathway with Queensland, and we're confident they can take advantage of such a wonderful opportunity."

2019-20 Queensland Bulls Squad

Cricket Australia Contracted Player: Usman Khawaja (Valley)

State Contracts: Xavier Bartlett (Gold Coast), Max Bryant (Gold Coast), Joe Burns (Norths), Brendan Doggett (Wests), Cameron Gannon (Norths), Sam Heazlett Redlands), Charlie Hemphrey (Sandgate-Redcliffe), Matt Kuhnemann (Gold Coast), Marnus Labuschagne (Redlands), Alister McDermott (Wynnum-Manly), Michael Neser (Gold Coast), James Peirson (Redlands), Lachlan Pfeffer (Valley), Jack Prestwidge (Norths), Matt Renshaw (Toombul), Billy Stanlake (Souths), Mark Steketee (Valley), Mitch Swepson (Sandgate-Redcliffe), Jack Wildermuth (Valley)

Rookie Contracts: Blake Edwards (Wests), Corey Hunter (Wynnum-Manly), Nathan McSweeney (Norths), Bryce Street (Sandgate-Redcliffe), Connor Sully (Norths), Matthew Willans (University of Qld)

IN: Alister McDermott, Corey Hunter (rookie), Matthew Willans (rookie).

OUT: Luke Feldman (retired) Peter George, Sam Truloff, Chris Lynn.

Source: Cricket Australia live app

Twenty-five players have been named by the National Selection Panel for the blockbuster all-Australian showdown in Southampton next week that will decide Australia's Ashes squad.

The extended playing group is comprised of the 15 players already in England with the Australia A squad, seven players from Australia's World Cup group and three players - Peter Siddle, Cameron Bancroft and Marnus Labuschagne - who have been in the UK participating in County cricket.

Squad: Cameron Bancroft, Jackson Bird, Joe Burns, Alex Carey, Pat Cummins, Peter Handscomb, Marcus Harris, Josh Hazlewood, Jon Holland, Travis Head, Usman Khawaja, Marnus Labuschagne, Nathan Lyon, Mitchell Marsh, Michael Neser, Tim Paine, Kurtis Patterson, James Pattinson, Will Pucovski, Peter Siddle, Steve Smith, Mitchell Starc, Chris Tremain, Matthew Wade, David Warner

It's actually really hard to name an XI, we've got a LOT of guys performing roughly the same in the batting ranks, and no all-rounders stamping their mark.

At this stage, this might be our best bet -

1. Marcus Harris
2. David Warner
3. Usman Khawaja
4. Steve Smith
5. Travis Head
6. Marnus Labuschagne
7. Time Paine (c)
8. Pat Cummins
9. Mitchell Starc
10. Nathan Lyon
11. Josh Hazlewood

Harris and Labuschagne are the only questionable ones for mine, Labuschagne has been scoring 100's for fun in county for the last 3 months & Harris hasn't really done anything wrong to warrant being dropped, scored a 100 for Australia A last week as well.

My only concern with this line-up is the amount of left handers we'll have, not sure how we could fix that up, don't think Burns, Handscomb or Pucovski have enough done to push out Usman, but if he fails in the first test, I'd be getting Pucovski straight in.

Harris/Bancroft and Labuschagne/Patterson the big decisions for the 1st test.

I wonder what role J.Pattinson and J.Richardson will play this series. Big fan of both, Pattinson in particular, I thnk he's potentially the world's #1 bowler if his body can ever hold up.

Active Now

• Lozza
  • Behind enemy lines
  • lynx000
  • winslow_wong
  • Broncosgirl
  • Jazza
  • KateBroncos1812
  • GCBRONCO
  • BroncosAlways
  • thenry
  • Allo
  • Broncorob
  • john1420
  • Culhwch
  • Sproj
  • broncos4life
  • Aldo
  • theshed
... and 1 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.