General Grand Final Memories

Financeguy

Financeguy

NRL Player
Apr 24, 2013
My favourite GF memory is Ryan Hoffman crying in 2006. 'St George can't play' is a close second.

Mine was Mundine dropping the ball over the line in 99 then the penalty try against Ainscough. Other than the Broncos GF's, that was my most memorable live GF moment. The tears of the Dragons fans around me were delicious.

Re: Grand Final Memories

Non Broncos GF? Brett Stewart getting absolutely smashed in 07. Hate that ****

Re: Grand Final Memories

last years grand final was just awesome to watch. it was a legitimate brilliant coach showdown, and bellamy gave hasler a masterclass on coaching against an individual team.

Don't know how anyone can go past Brian Smith's Parramatta Eels being touched up by Newcastle in 2001. Most dominant club side in the modern era, smashed records...yet a classic Smith choke in the big one.

Don't know how anyone can go past Brian Smith's Parramatta Eels being touched up by Newcastle in 2001. Most dominant club side in the modern era, smashed records...yet a classic Smith choke in the big one.
that was good, but i didnt like newcastle so it was also bad.

Benji's flick that won the Tigers the premiership.

Not to be a Debbie Downer but most of the grand finals I've seen live since 2000 have sucked. Usually it's contested between two teams I either hate or feel completely indifferent about and the match usually ends up being pretty one-sided or just plain lousy. If I had to pick one favourite, it'd easily be 03. Good build up, quality match and the best result.

Not to be a Debbie Downer but most of the grand finals I've seen live since 2000 have sucked. Usually it's contested between two teams I either hate or feel completely indifferent about and the match usually ends up being pretty one-sided or just plain lousy. If I had to pick one favourite, it'd easily be 03. Good build up, quality match and the best result.

+1 generally.

In fact, nearly all Grand Finals since the NRL reformed have been fairly one sided. 1999 the biggest exception. 2004 and 2006 also fairly tightly contested. The rest, even if fairly close on the score, the winner was never really in doubt with 20 minutes to go.

Most Grand Finals are a bit of a letdown unless your team wins to be honest.

The Cowboys v Tigers GF was the last one before the Manly/Melbourne domination of the last 9 years (save for the farcical 2010 season).

Haven't given a shit about a GF for a while.

2006 - Broncos v Storm
2007 - Manly v Storm
2008 - Manly v Storm
2009 - Storm v Parramatta
2010 - St George v Roosters
2011 - Manly v Warriors
2012 - Storm v Bulldogs
2013 - Manly v Roosters.

Two battler clubs. Thurston v Marshall and Prince. Cracking game.

Last edited:
This year would have been awesome if it was Souths versus Roosters.

Fucking Manly will probably win because they are a bigger bunch of *****.

The greatest GF of all time (1989 Raiders v Balmain) is hard to top. The hero moments are incredible (Steve Jackson FTW!!!) - the stuff you watch sport to see.

Over the Christmas holidays it usually gets a run on Foxtel. Do yourself a favour and watch it if you haven't already.

2009 Eels were a really entertaining team to watch and that GF was a cracker. Broncos would have made that final if Wallace doesn't break his ankle/leg in the last 10 minutes against St George and Henjak had the balls/foresight to throw B.Hunt in at 7 and give him a really simple game plan.

09 was one of the better games but it wasn't even a contest except for a brief moment in the final minutes of the game. Even then, Melbourne put an end to that pretty quickly, albeit off a 50/50 penalty.

Have to disagree on Hunt. Said it before, but the guy wasn't even ready to lead the 20s around that night, let alone the first grade side.

922020-anthony-mundine.jpg

2011 GF, not even during the match. We sat behind some big Maori boys and the half naked guys on the field performed the Haka in front of us. These 4 guys started doing it in the crowd as well and the goosebumps from it were amazing. Even some people around us said to them how amazing that sounded.

2008 - Menzies coming off the bench and scoring a try 43 seconds later.
2009 - Fui bowling over 4 players to get to the try line.
2010 - shitfaced, remember nothing of the game.
2011 - one of the most physical first 20 minutes I can remember, they were smashing each other.
2012 - Graham gnawing on Slater's ear in rage.

2013 - SBW's 2013 gameplan of "not give a shit, try a few things" going horribly wrong in the first half, followed by single handedly changing the course of the game with 2 linebreaks/assists. Love or hate him, you've got to respect his ability to pick a moment and nail it in a big game.

Also the red shoes kid epic failing on the presentation platform was hilarious.

Active Now

• Galah
  • Santa
  • The True King
  • Johnny92
  • Jazza
  • Broncosgirl
  • KateBroncos1812
  • ostin86
  • Bucking Beads
  • Foordy
  • BroncosMan
  • Footy Fanatic
  • Kev_Guz
... and 3 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.