NEWS Gentle (almost) does it

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
Close to a win last night. Four tries apiece. Four out for four conversions by Kotoni Staggs. And no half-time poetry. This was a team that came to win. And by golly, they almost pulled it off. Clear the stage for unsung hero Peter Gentle.

Https  prodstatic9netau fs c05abcd8 7eda 4b5e 8ee1 b3bd7cc77f4e

On the emergence of the game's next superstar:

“I see what everyone is seeing, Tom is a shining light for us. He works very hard for us, he understands the game, you don’t have to draw him pictures. He’s only a kid, (19) years of age, but I definitely think he gets it, he has a voice in this team now and he is starting to get them around the park. He wants the ball in his hands, from a coach’s point of view that’s what you want, especially when we lost Anthony, Tom had to step up and he did.”

On the return of Milford:

“He had an ice pack on (after the game) but we didn’t want to risk it or it could have ended his season. He wanted to stay on but that’s ‘Milf’ for you, there is still a lot to play for. It’s a bit early to say but hopefully he should be OK for next week.”

On the loss of Chace Haas:

“It was very emotional around Payne’s brother. The guys all wore black armbands so a part of Payne was out there with them. We spoke about trying to win it in the last 10 minutes, then we were 12-0 down after five minutes. They showed a lot of commitment to fight back and show the fans and members we still have something to play for. I was proud of the effort, but it’s about winning and we didn’t get the result. We have lost another one, but if we keep turning up with that attitude we will get a win soon.”

McHunt

Last edited:
I was really impressed with Gentle, quietly spoken, thoughtful, honest and you can't question his results as (interim) coach.

Despite my serious, serious misgivings about Seibold, I do wonder to what extent he contributed to last night's effort. Did he just leave it all to Gentle or did they work together to produce what we saw?

Maybe this is a lesson for Seibold, to trust his assistant more than he has, to work together more and better, and maybe it is arrogance which is one of Seibold's greatest flaws? In any case, Seibold has been coaching this side all year and I can't accept that after 2 weeks, Gentle has woven something miraculous on his own which explains the serious improvement we showed last night. As I see it, Gentle has added something to the side and that tells me for the rest of this year, Seibold needs to include Gentle a whole lot more into the coaching of the side.

For me, it will be most interesting to see the effect on our performance next week when Seibold is back. I think it will show us a lot, about him and Gentle's influence on our improved showing. If we regress, then surely that is all we need to show Seibold has to go at the end of this year.

Last edited:
Bare bones Broncos nealry did it. Lads were (running onto) the footbal. Pure genius.

Credit where it's due for Gentle. The lads wanted to win and it showed.

I enjoyed the post game presser for once. Let this man have the reins for the remainder of the year.

Speaks better than Seibold and with more truth.

Who knows how much influence Seibs is having from a distance, but the mix has certainly changed for the better and on field is showing that. Some of the players have obviously had enough of the mediocrity and for whatever reason is turning around under Gentle. This is enough for me to show the door next week to Seibs, pay him out, get it over and done with.

Speaks better than Seibold and with more truth.

Who knows how much influence Seibs is having from a distance, but the mix has certainly changed for the better and on field is showing that. Some of the players have obviously had enough of the mediocrity and for whatever reason is turning around under Gentle. This is enough for me to show the door next week to Seibs, pay him out, get it over and done with.

Not yet. For mine, a key question is whether a properly working relationship between Seibold and Gentle is what we really need. Next week's performance will be really interesting and will tell a lot about the coaching of this side which is just so full of quality.

Best news column yet from McHunt. Just the facts. Well almost but the opening was good too. He won't see this post but let him know he did well.

For me, it will be most interesting to see the effect on our performance next week when Seibold is back. I think it will show us a lot, about him and Gentle's influence on our improved showing. If we regress, then surely that is all we need to show Seibold has to go at the end of this year.
I'm not going to look too much into the next game... we have not travelled at all well this year, the whole fly in fly out on game day has not suited this young squad and they often look very flat during the game. Current away results this year:
  • Manly 20-18 (led 18 nil then didn't score a point when manly started holding the ball... an 11-0 penalty count didn't help either)
  • Newcastle 27-6 (Knights beat us without getting out of 2nd gear... scoreline could've been much worse)
  • Warriors 26-16 (hugely disappointing game considering the warriors only played for 50 mins and were absolutely there for the taking the entire first half)
  • Tigers 48-0 (need I say anything... looked completely flat)
  • Souths 28-10 (another team to beat us without getting out of 2nd gear)
  • Raiders 36-8 (30-0 in the second half with some horrendous defensive displays)
The game next week will be interesting to see how the first half plays out, but I suspect they will fade as the travel catches up with them.

The following game against Panthers at home could be more interesting. Panthers are playing well, but the titans kept with them when they last came to qld... so they are there for the taking if we can get a jump on them.

After that we have the titans. Usually the titans play well against us at Suncorp, but get complacent when they have recorded a win or a good performance against us. We need titans to get a couple more wins so they are looking elsewhere when we play them in a couple weeks, because we could get a win there.

Parra away after that... they're playing shit house so naturally they will get up against us being the total flat track bullies that they are.

Finish the season against the cowboys at suncorp... Cows are completely out of the running for the finals so if we get on top early they could fold thinking about beaches in Bali... only to realise they'll have to settle for beaches in Cairns.

Ultimately we need some of these fucking injured and suspended players back, because we are now lacking in playing talent with like $5m of the cap sitting on the sidelines

Last edited:
I'm not going to look too much into the next game... we have not travelled at all well this year, the whole fly in fly out on game day has not suited this young squad and they often look very flat during the game. Current away results this year:
  • Manly 20-18 (led 18 nil then didn't score a point when manly started holding the ball... an 11-0 penalty count didn't help either)
  • Newcastle 27-6 (Knights beat us without getting out of 2nd gear... scoreline could've been much worse)
  • Warriors 26-16 (hugely disappointing game considering the warriors only played for 50 mins and were absolutely there for the taking the entire first half)
  • Tigers 48-0 (need I say anything... looked completely flat)
  • Souths 28-10 (another team to beat us without getting out of 2nd gear)
  • Raiders 36-8 (30-0 in the second half with some horrendous defensive displays)
The game next week will be interesting to see how the first half plays out, but I suspect they will fade as the travel catches up with them.

The following game against Panthers at home could be more interesting. Panthers are playing well, but the titans kept with them when they last came to qld... so they are there for the taking if we can get a jump on them.

After that we have the titans. Usually the titans play well against us at Suncorp, but get complacent when they have recorded a win or a good performance against us. We need titans to get a couple more wins so they are looking elsewhere when we play them in a couple weeks, because we could get a win there.

Parra away after that... they're playing shit house so naturally they will get up against us being the total flat track bullies that they are.

Finish the season against the cowboys at suncorp... Cows are completely out of the running for the finals so if we get on top early they could fold thinking about beaches in Bali... only to realise they'll have to settle for beaches in Cairns.

Ultimately we need some of these fucking injured and suspended players back, because we are now lacking in playing talent with like $5m of the cap sitting on the sidelines

I take your point about the impact of travel. I'll add this to the mix partly explaining those results you mention: Boyd at centre, Croft, Milford at FB and Niu's first outings at the back.

Next week will for me be most interesting to see the Seibold Effect, and to observe Dearden's evolution towards near future Dally M halfback of the year as well as Paix proving to be the dummy half we have needed for years. Sorry Turps, you just aren't it, unless you bring a running game into your dummy half play.

Ahh, the Seibold Effect ...

Last edited:
He was coming back from a broken leg. Have you ever had a broken leg?

I am recovering from a compound fracture and dislocation of my left ankle very similar to Yow Yeh's, so yes. As for Turps, I mean by his running game running at the line, selecting passes while doing that and not simply shovelling the ball out like Macca his mentor. I feel Turps has what it takes to be a star as long as he runs the ball as above, once his leg heals, so yes, your point is taken.

Last edited:
I am recovering from a compound fracture and dislocation of my left ankle very similar to Yow Yeh's, so yes.
Jeepers. Took me months to recover from a minor cracked tibia, and years later it's still not right.

Last edited:
Jeepers. Took me months to recover from a minor cracked tibia, and years later it's still not right.

It's fucked me for life. Next step so to speak is an ankle fusion. I'll never run again 😪

92 ... well, 67 but I was running 4kms every day before the accident. Loved running.

Haha yeah I remember you putting old man huge in his place the other day. 4km's is impressive. I also enjoy running but two knee reco's on my left knee has put an end to that unfortunately. Just walking and riding my bike for me now.

Haha yeah I remember you putting old man huge in his place the other day. 4km's is impressive. I also enjoy running but two knee reco's on my left knee has put an end to that unfortunately. Just walking and riding my bike for me now.

Good on you. Just have to keep active, yes. I am also going to be looking at knee reco's given the ankle injury has stopped most of my mobility dammit, and arthritis is setting in. Anyway, I have a real insight into what Jharal endured, especially the withdrawal from opioids. **** me that was a horrible journey.

As for that young whippersnapper @Huge, he means well. I just make allowances for his his youth and inexperience 😄

Active Now

• OnToSomething
  • Pablo
  • Astro
  • Allo
  • Xzei
  • Santa
  • BroncosAlways
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.