Greg Inglis in SoO

Dexter

Dexter

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Mar 26, 2008
Trying to sort out the actual rule for SoO eligibility if anyone has a link. I have looked but can't find anything.

I think the rule states a player is eligible to play for the state where he played his first footy after the age of 16.

Inglis played his first footy at 17 in a QLD comp making him eligible for QLD. There is footage on youtube with commentary from Dany Weidler
suggesting because he played arrive alive cup at 16 he is qualified for NSW.

I guess the question is what is the definition of "after the age of 16", is it 16 and 1 day or is it 17 and over.

Good to find the site again by the way. I was on the old site as DK and had no clue why I was forbidden from the server.

Cheers

I'm pretty sure the rule is where you play your first senior footy. Who cares anyway - he said he wanted to play for QLD and he is!

Clearly briareos, I care or I wouldn't have bothered posting

it was on the footy show apparently he played one game of senior footy in NSW but no one realized it. not even the NSW selectors... everyone thought he was eligible for QLD... then once he played for QLD he couldn't play for NSW anymore

I think he played for Hunter Sports High here in Newcastle around 15 or 16.

Can't exactly remember though.

bfoord said:
it was on the footy show apparently he played one game of senior footy in NSW but no one realized it. not even the NSW selectors... everyone thought he was eligible for QLD... then once he played for QLD he couldn't play for NSW anymore

In that case LOL at NSW. His heart is with QLD anyway, so if the selectors had ruled he had to play for NSW I'm sure that it would be hard for him, or if I was in his position I would just sit out origin and hope for an Aus callup. There would be no way I'd put on that blue jersey.

Scotty said:
bfoord said:

In that case LOL at NSW. His heart is with QLD anyway, so if the selectors had ruled he had to play for NSW I'm sure that it would be hard for him, or if I was in his position I would just sit out origin and hope for an Aus callup. There would be no way I'd put on that blue jersey.

Couldn't agree more.
Hypothetically, being a sydney-bronco supporter, IF I had played league, and somehow I was a first grader like Inglis (LOL I IWISH) I would have had to play for NSW, and I'd never do that, I wonder if you are actually allowed to refuse to play, either way, I wouldn't do it, and believe me there are plenty of Sydney-QLD supporters who think the same way... its a QLD thing!!!

I think there is also some kind of clause where if your state of origin is debatable and either state could make a genuine case to claim you, then the player gets to make a decision on who he wants to play for. I think I remember this is what happened with Inglis - he was asked to declare his allegience because the powers that be couldn't decide in his situation.

My understanding of it is that he is technically eligible for NSW but Queensland claimed him before NSW were interested and never checked. LOL at NSW. I think Folau may be one of those players falling into a borderline category, having grown up in NSW but gone to high school here but my understanding is that he wants to play for us _woohoo_ .

Active Now

• Brocko
  • Xzei
  • FACTHUNT
  • Nerd
  • Dash
  • Mister Wright
  • Fitzy
  • Sproj
  • cento
  • Big Del
  • Foordy
  • Fozz
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.