Griffin's legacy lives on in Broncos

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
Henjak was a pretty good tactician but a horrible manager. Hook was a good manager but a worthless tactician. If you have combined the two you could have gotten a pretty gun coach...or a complete numpty, depending on what you combined.

winslow_wong

winslow_wong

International Captain
May 27, 2013
Hook was fantastic at cultivating and promoting youngsters. Problem was/is he had no idea what to do with them when he got them on the field.

As @theshed said earlier, some of his selections (or non) were just plain bizarre. Fucking over our halves for PWal (who granted did have some good periods) and Scott 'starts at no.25' Prince. Playing what should've been Thaiday's prime years at prop and burning him out, same with Parker (who weirdly managed a resurgence out of it). Future-Origin-Prop Wallace riding the bench for three fucking games straight. Kicking Gagai out of the club (contentious, but he should've been kept)

And let's not forget his WeightGain3000[emoji769] program that everyone seemed to be on.

If you take out Locky's Almost Fairytale year, our seasons under Hook were unacceptable. It was a tough gig from the start, but nothing pissed me off more than him acting (I hope it was acting) like there wasn't a problem with the team's performances.

Let's not forget his favourite bench hooker ben hunt and Lockyers heir Corey Norman playing fullback. What the.

Allo

Allo

International Rep
Forum Staff
Sep 28, 2012
Let's not forget his favourite bench hooker ben hunt and Lockyers heir Corey Norman playing fullback. What the.

Yeah I meant that talking about PWallace + Prince. We should've had Norman + Hunt as our halves in the prelim vs Manly in 11 (not bloody Gillo) and then permanently from rd 1 2012. Real sliding doors moment was his decision to not pair those two together. We could have managed to have a half now who knew how to kick

winslow_wong

winslow_wong

International Captain
May 27, 2013
Yeah I meant that talking about PWallace + Prince. We should've had Norman + Hunt as our halves in the prelim vs Manly in 11 (not bloody Gillo) and then permanently from rd 1 2012. Real sliding doors moment was his decision to not pair those two together. We could have managed to have a half now who knew how to kick

It got worse with josh Hoffman at 5/8th. That was so bad. I remember at the time even hodges was thinking wtf.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Hodges was a better option at 5/8 and played there a couple of times that year.

Only once, unless you're including his stint at fullback where he virtually covered every role in the team for better or worse.

In hindsight, Hodges at fullback in 2013 would have solved a lot of issues. He was in rare form at the time and a backline of...

1. Justin Hodges
2. Josh Hoffman
3. Jack Reed
4. Jordan Kahu
5. Corey Oates

Would have been decent.

Unfortunately it was a pipe dream. Hodgo's body couldn't have handled it and regardless the Broncos had so many issues across the field it wouldn't have mattered if they had a backline of Slater, Inglis, Hayne etc. it wasn't going to make up for the shortcomings in other areas.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
Thaiday would have been a better option at 6, goodness me ANYONE other than Hoffman would have been a better option, even Maranta!

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013
Thaiday would have been a better option at 6, goodness me ANYONE other than Hoffman would have been a better option, even Maranta!

Maranta played six for Norths when he was dropped back and he actually went pretty well. I was surprised and impressed.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
Maranta played six for Norths when he was dropped back and he actually went pretty well. I was surprised and impressed.

He was also a far better fullback than winger as he could ball play, as mentioned he would have been a better option than Hoffman but anyone would have, possibly one of our worst selections of all time.

061ang

BRL Player
Sep 2, 2016
Oh man I didnt watch NRL much back then and have only been a big fan recently.

I was always sad I missed the Locky year's but from the sounds of it, the years afterwards was soo terrible maybe I dodged a bullet?

Jason Simmons

Jason Simmons

NRL Captain
Apr 18, 2013

I was always sad I missed the Locky year's but from the sounds of it, the years afterwards was soo terrible maybe I dodged a bullet?

The only thing Hoggman knew how to do as a 5/8 was run (because all he is at best is a winger and everyone in the world knew it, except Hoggman and Hook) but as we still used the big attacking play to the left mostly, his main contribution was to step back right into sliding defenders, despite setting up for a play to the left and then the attacking play would completely break down.

All friggin season long he did it, until even Hook realising belatedly that this rubbish was threatening his very employment finally 'hooked' him and put Barba there who did moderately well (and infinitely better than Hoggman) in that role, but it was too little, too late by then.

Our other attacking 'play' was 5 one out hitups with a small pack, except for that one season with Martin 'the pillow' Kennedy who had size but the heart of a terrified mouse and a workrate that made David Taylor look like Paul Gallen, where Wallace would do a cross field kick on the last tackle to the right wing, looking for Yow Yeh. Until of course (sigh...) Yow Yeh left the game and then it was looking for Maranta or whoever was there instead.

Needless to say the 'brilliance' of these plays was not reflected in points or in contributing much to wins and the rest is history...

Fans could tell, set after set EXACTLY what we were going to do. Opposition coaches must have been laughing their arses off at it.

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008

Agreeed, that was one of the worst things I've seen as a Broncos fan, next to the treatment of Civo. I can't believe there were some people defending that too. It was like seeing your parents having sex or something, gross.

ZTop

ZTop

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Feb 28, 2016

I'm pretty much the same, Only since 2013 did I really start following. Now I'm obsessed

holdzy

holdzy

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
May 5, 2016

1427794329960.jpg

188663-L-LO.jpg

Buy these, watch them, and then join in on the existential despair.

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014

You missed out on Hunt's best years. Unless you started watching in 2015.

2014, Hunt was unstoppable. There wasn't a defence out there that could contain him when he was in form. It was beautiful to watch.

Unfortunately, his supporting half didn't help him much. And the rest of the back line apart from Hodgo and maybe Copley were stinking the joint up.

But then you also missed out on the agony of watching Yow Yeh's career cut short and us struggle to replace him.

Active Now

• eggstar10
  • mrslong
  • phoenix
  • Lostboy
  • winslow_wong
  • Wolfie
  • Bucking Beads
  • Old Mate
  • Robboi_321
  • Behind enemy lines
  • Kev_Guz
  • BooKhaki
  • Bish
  • jarro65
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Shane Tronc
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.