International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
Haasp 01mn

Haas’s sacrifice ahead of Origin push

May 16, 2019

Source: Courier Mail

Last edited by a moderator:
Every one is entitled to their beliefs, and good on him I guess for adhering to them even when it’s difficult. But seriously, isn’t it dangerous for him to play under those conditions? Especially the longer he’s been fasting?

Every one is entitled to their beliefs, and good on him I guess for adhering to them even when it’s difficult. But seriously, isn’t it dangerous for him to play under those conditions? Especially the longer he’s been fasting?

I mean, he gets to eat as much as he wants between sundown and sun up. It’s not like he is starving the whole period. I imagine he hydrates intensely the night before a game and then depending on when sun goes down he can drink and have a decent meal before kick off. The issue becomes the game’s played during the day, and training during the day.

I think it's way too early to select him for Origin. He'll be there soon, but give him a year at least!

It's not dangerous at all, everyone should fast, the health benefits are enormous. The only worry would be doing excessive cardio and sweating too much while not being able to hydrate during the day. The club and obviously Haas himself already know this
but the teenager has the full support of the club who have supplied him with a tailored training schedule and diet.

Ramadan is all about pushing through the mental struggle (it's really not physically difficult), about having that willpower to wait, to want something but not actually have it because you need to earn it. It's also meant to be humbling because the poor around the world do get hungry but they can't just go and eat. I think it's awesome, it would be very easy for him to take the easy option and say he can't do it because he's an athlete but the mental strength required to actually go through with it is awesome and I think it'll make him a better person and a better athlete. I have no doubt Seibold would be very happy for him to be doing it.

Ramadan (in Brisbane anyway) is only about 12 hours, fast breaks at 5.06PM today for example, so he'll be having a drink, some electrolytes, a small meal and be pumped for the game.

I think it's way too early to select him for Origin. He'll be there soon, but give him a year at least!
Yeah I seriously hope they don't pick him. He's an enormous talent but playing origin after 8 games is just dumb. I'd hate to see him make a mistake for example and get crucified by the shitty NSW media. He's a young kid who has less than 10 games of first grade. It's better for his development long term to not play origin this year.

Yeah I seriously hope they don't pick him. He's an enormous talent but playing origin after 8 games is just dumb. I'd hate to see him make a mistake for example and get crucified by the shitty NSW media. He's a young kid who has less than 10 games of first grade. It's better for his development long term to not play origin this year.
Agree, how many times do we have to see kids crumble from being picked too early before coaches wise up?

Besides, given the crap team QLD are likely to field, is there any reason to include him this year? NSW will have plenty of players capable of beating Qld without using Haas.

I'd actually be selecting him as a bench frontrower. He has played as well as anyone, often in an underperforming side. He has showed he can play 80 minutes but at this stage, stint as an impact player would as llow him to come to grips with it without being overwhelmed.
I don't buy that he isn't ready. A bench front rowers has a pretty limited and defined role. At the very least he should be in camp as 18th man.
He will play origin and everything he has done suggests he deserves to this year.

Payne Haas’s mother charged with serious assault a second time
Greg Stolz, The Sunday Mail (Qld)
May 25, 2019 9:45am

THE mother of Brisbane Broncos star Payne Haas will be sentenced this week for bashing a delivery driver – the second time in three months she has faced court charged with serious assault – and could go to jail.

Uiatu “Joan” Taufua, a mother of 10, including giant Broncos forward Haas, will face a sentencing hearing in Southport Magistrates Court on Wednesday charged with assault occasioning bodily harm.

ce168428b7dd32a9402e45e2c35f4d54

Joan Taufua, mother of Brisbane Broncos player Payne Haas, was filmed getting out of a car with two other people before abusing a delivery driver through his window. Picture: Nine News

Truck driver Keith Tyler was left with severe facial injuries after he was assaulted by Taufua at a Gold Coast shopping centre late last year in a road rage incident. It comes after Taufua, 42, was sentenced in March to three years’ probation for assaulting a mother and her teenage daughter at a women’s rugby league match in Brisbane.

It was one of a number of off-field incidents involving his family that led to Haas copping a four-game suspension and a $20,000 fine from the Broncos for failing to co-operate with an NRL Integrity Unit investigation.

The Sunday Mail has obtained a transcript of the March sentencing hearing in which magistrate Joan White described Taufua’s conduct as “outrageous” and her criminal history as “appalling”, and said she was considering a jail sentence.

The court heard the assaults took place at a women’s grand final at the Valley’s Rugby League Club in Grange, Brisbane, when children took to the field after the game to play touch football.

b0d1d8c8a3b6c899c1c9a02c342a2b6d

Payne Haas has had a troubled season off the field. Picture: Darren England/AAP

After a disagreement between the kids, Taufua confronted a parent, Desiree Dowling, at the clubhouse, punching her in the face. When a “loud, aggressive argument” erupted, a member of Taufua’s party assaulted a male in the Valleys group, the court was told. When Dowling “retreated” and took photos of Taufua, Dowling was grabbed by the hair and hit multiple times in the face.

Dowling’s 14-year-old daughter Brooklyn was struck in the ribs as she tried to protect her.
Defence lawyer Lisa Searing told the court that Taufua had 10 children, aged 4 to 21, including a quadriplegic son, and her husband was on a disability pension. She also cared for an 84-year-old family friend named Pop.

She said Taufua had been under “immense pressure” due to financial difficulties.
“She’s not quite sure how she got caught up in all of this, but she does regret it. She’s embarrassed and ashamed,” the court heard. Magistrate White said Taufua obviously had “a very stressful home life … but, goodness, it doesn’t excuse that sort of behaviour at a children’s game”. Referring to the driver assault, Ms Searing said her client “regrets the role she played”: “She was under an immense amount of pressure at the time and reacted poorly,” she said.

f1bf49f097cc60b5ee299130f4fad138
Payne Haas (far left) and family

Last edited:
She should get a gig in the women's comp. She's tough and she takes no shit and would be tipping the scales at about 120 kgs. Payne must be so proud.

The guy on the right looks built too. Does he play?

Active Now

• broncsgoat
  • Mr Fourex
  • winslow_wong
  • bb_gun
  • Xzei
  • Waynesaurus
  • pennywisealfie
  • Nerd
  • Foordy
  • Broncosgirl
  • marw
  • LittleDavey
  • Skyblues87
  • Aldo
  • Midean
  • Organix
  • Brocko
  • Tim K
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Harry Sack
... and 25 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.