International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
Payne Haas returns to save broken Broncos in Pangai’s absence

Source: Courier Mail

Last edited by a moderator:
Was initially laughing at the headline, “fix the broken broncos”,

But then, wow we’re 1-4 and need a forward or four to actually step up

Our young forwards were always going to struggle. I think mago and taga should come in , I know flegler has done well but he time to rotate some youngsters before the knives really come out. So I think flegler and sua need a rest , offa to 13 and mago , haas on the bench and taga to start with lodge.

8. Lodge
10. Taga
11. Glenn
12. Gillo
13. Offa
14. Shiba/staggs (dependent on Roberts)
15. Fifita
16. Mago
17. Haas

Our young forwards were always going to struggle. I think mago and taga should come in , I know flegler has done well but he time to rotate some youngsters before the knives really come out. So I think flegler and sua need a rest , offa to 13 and mago , haas on the bench and taga to start with lodge.

8. Lodge
10. Taga
11. Glenn
12. Gillo
13. Offa
14. Shiba/staggs (dependent on Roberts)
15. Fifita
16. Mago
17. Haas
I'm pretty sure no one other than myself will agree about Taga. I don't know how he's going and from what I can gather he's just being used as a practice partner. I think if given a chance he could contribute and I have advocated for a old and new front row for a while now. If an old prop and proven prop is not being used then he shouldn't be in the 30.

I'm pretty sure no one other than myself will agree about Taga. I don't know how he's going and from what I can gather he's just being used as a practice partner. I think if given a chance he could contribute and I have advocated for a old and new front row for a while now. If an old prop and proven prop is not being used then he shouldn't be in the 30.

I'm not a huge fan of taga but his experience atm would definitely be beneficial. I just think we need to protect our young forwards from the backlash , especially if we keep playing the way we are . Sua and flegler would be good for some time in qcup for some fitness and confidence building for sua.

Articles like this are half the problem with our young guys. The media hype them up which motivates the old hard heads in the other teams to teach them a lesson. Tallis said it and for the first time ever I'm gonna agree with him. In another bold move in going to suggest we need 2 old hard heads and to star youngens in our forward rotation. Guess with our current thirty that would be taga and lodge to start and fensom and TPJ on bench. Offa at lock for bigger minutes with a short rotation of the rookies - Carrigan, flegler, or whoever else is killing it. Make the young forwards really have to work hard to earn a spot in the 17. And make the old heads have to work hard to keep their places. If one prop has a bad game, hook the bugger for mago or whoever else until they show in the isc they're willing to give it all to be part of the 17. This current lineup is too entitled.

Articles like this are half the problem with our young guys. The media hype them up which motivates the old hard heads in the other teams to teach them a lesson. Tallis said it and for the first time ever I'm gonna agree with him. In another bold move in going to suggest we need 2 old hard heads and to star youngens in our forward rotation. Guess with our current thirty that would be taga and lodge to start and fensom and TPJ on bench. Offa at lock for bigger minutes with a short rotation of the rookies - Carrigan, flegler, or whoever else is killing it. Make the young forwards really have to work hard to earn a spot in the 17. And make the old heads have to work hard to keep their places. If one prop has a bad game, hook the bugger for mago or whoever else until they show in the isc they're willing to give it all to be part of the 17. This current lineup is too entitled.

Fensom doesn't have size or impact , I'd prefer taga and mago and see how they go

I think, as people pointed out a few times this year already, someone who can tackle around the legs would be quite handy too. I definitely seem to remember McCullough doing that in the past, though maybe it's just my imagination.

Last edited:
Mago and Fensom or Taga should come in. Mago is really good at not getting turtles and has some sting in defense. Su’A has to go back to Qld Cup and TPJ is out anyway.

Just wanna say out of all the shit performances tonight, this bloke was a shining light.

64 minutes
17 runs
168 metres
51 post contact metres
3 tackle busts
1 offload
45 tackles
2 missed tackles
0 errors
0 penalties conceded

I never want him leaving the starting line-up, this guy is going to be our middle anchor for the next 10 years, he just surpassed Lodge, Ofahengaue, TPJ & Fifita in 1 game for me.

Yeah, he was the highlight. Every other player was probably 6.5 or 7/10 at best, and for a few even way worse, but he was comfortably our best.

Last edited:
If he stays at that level and doesn’t improve at all, he will still have earned his price tag. He was in everything and barely looked fatigued. With him and TPJ firing we will terrorise some packs.

Ofaengahue has been pathetic this year
Atleast Haas played more than 20 minutes without gassing himself unlike TPJ

This guy is a machine. He was cruising out there too, could play 80 if needed to.

Ofaengahue has been pathetic this year
Atleast Haas played more than 20 minutes without gassing himself unlike TPJ

Ofa has never been much more than average. TPJ and Lodge should be our starting props and if Ofa was dropped altogether when Pangai returns it wouldn’t be noticed.

Great effort tonight, can see why we were so desperate to get him back

This guy is a machine. He was cruising out there too, could play 80 if needed to.

Among all of his good stats, 64 minutes was the one which surprised but pleased me the most. That included almost all of the first half if I'm not mistaken, if not all. Didn't realise he had such a big motor.

I can’t wait to see Haas, TPJ, Lodge and Offa in the same game at some point

Active Now

• Fitzy
  • Scorchie
  • broncsgoat
  • Pablo
  • Battler
  • Splinter
  • BroncosAlways
  • bb_gun
  • BruiserMk1
  • Griffo
  • Jedhead
  • Hurrijo
  • Big Del
  • easybreezy
  • Skyblues87
  • Foordy
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • Galah
  • Xzei
... and 4 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.